Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hot Weather and personal water Misters

:usmc:

In my travels of the South West in years past, I had run across public places that set up these water misters so people on real hot days could keep cool at events and stores and such. I've even seen them used with large fans at Dairies to keep the milk cows cool.

Recently with all the above 100 degree heat we have been having here in the canyon, the memory of them came back to me and so did some searching and found you can buy personal misters that you can carry around your waist or from your shoulder that you hand pump air into like a garden weed sprayer. The nozzle is very tiny and so emits a very fine spray, something almost like a fog so to cool your face and or arms and body. The one I bought is 24 Oz. but they come in smaller sizes and you can add ice to them. The only thing I would try to do is put distilled water in it so not to get a mineral water build up.

I have not tried it yet for out detecting in the heat but just maybe, it will help a guy make a longer day of detecting or make it not so unbearable. Just passing the idea on and could be some of you others may want to try one of these things out. They also make some that are portable for like camping. They are modified garden hand pump weed sprayers but with longer lengths of hose and a number of nozzles to set up so to mist a group. The claim with these Misters is they can lower the air temperature by about 25-30 degrees. These Misters could be the difference between a succesful detecting day or hanging up the detector until better weather. For Heat Exaustion and Heat Stroke, they could be a life saver as well.

My wife loves a nice mist anytime. Me, I'm like a cat, and avoid it. When it's baking out it sure helps but I don't want it non-stop. I'd be afraid of dousing the detector while trying to get the mister adjusted just right, You could count on me to lose my grip on the hose and Zap! :shock: I always have a ball cap on my noggin. On hot days I'll get the cap good and soaking wet, wear a light-weight long-sleeved shirt with no t-shirt and try to keep comfy that way.

My biggest problem being out too long on hot days is hydrating with beer instead of water!

These days, more often than not, I say the heck with it, hide inside and crank the AC. And hydrate in the usual fashion, LOL. :buds:

-Ed

:usmc:

I don't do the heat like I used to when young. So far, this Mister I bought seems to work fine. I would not use it full time but it sure feels good intermittently around the face, ears, back of the neck, and arms. Like yourself, I always wear a cap or wide brim hat on sunny days. Like I said, it may be good to just have it around for possible heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

I'm not very worried about the detector and water. The mist is so fine, it is almost like a fog and it would take a lot of it to enter the detector case. These Misters may not be a complete relief from the heat and everyone handles heat differently but I think as a tool, it could help a person stay out detecting a bit longer where other wise, they would have pulled the plug and ran for the shade and cold drinks:cheers:. I guess it's just how serious each person wants to detect out in the heat. I could see for example if someone had driven some distance to detect a special spot and time was limited and the weather is hot. A Mister may just be the trick to maximizing the hunt.

Robert