Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how accurate is the XY screen ??%wise ?

targets

as i had an iron buckle in the top right sector! the same as a coin of good quality

I think the XY screen is as accurate as any other visual representation. But like any method, it all depends on your interpretation of the all data in front of you. Deep chunky iron like a buckle can give indications that it might be a coin with whatever signal representation method you use. But usually with whatever method you are using, there are subtle indications that it is likely iron when it is iron. Whether I am using the horseshoe, XY, or just audio, I will usually dig those types of signals even if I am pretty sure it is deep chunky iron because sometimes it isn't chunky iron! I have dug a lot of iron buckles over the years. Actually dug a complete iron shoe buckle last week. First iron shoe buckle that I have found.

but it had a good tone and TID as well so i was surprised

When I first got the Deus used the XY screen but don't now. When you look at a picture theres a tendency to dig the picture w/o thinking about what the tone/# is telling you. What we call "iron" is often a rusted alloy of say iron, copper, steel etc. which may show good on the screen. A rusted bottle cap will show as a coin simply because its round. Put an iron nail over a dime and run it over the XY will probably show a classic iron "squiggle" but you may hear a good tone but still pass it up. I no longer use it. HH

Chunky iron can "fool" any detector or detectorist into thinking they have a good target under their coil. On the other hand, sometimes good targets can sound like chunky iron. Those extra deep coppers will sometimes have a bit of a iron grunt. If you never dig any chunky iron, you are leaving good targets in the ground.

Take a few nails and lay around a coin ….then look at the XY screen....

The X-Y screen is not the end-all but it can help on some targets. Sounds strange but when i see the screen i can hear the imperfections in the sound a lot better. I use a side program to check stuff in the "60's" range. Can slaw is a big one and some other aluminum shows up, too. Good idea to dig everything at first until you get some confidence.

Remember it is designed for coin size targets. Larger iron can fool ya. Try raising the coil on ify targets, that's a quick way to check. Or even wiggling the coil back and listening. Or dig the target. If its iron put it back and play with it and listening to the sounds. More you dig the better you'll get

If you use a disc of about +5.5 or less the horseshoe graphic will not show the ferrous side. The X-Y graphic will always show the left sloping lines when a target is ferrous regardless of the amount of disc.