Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How am I Doing? Do YOU Like the New Forum?

Charles B

Hello Everyone on the Findmall Treasure Forum,

Well I've only been on the job so to speak for a few hours and I was hoping to get some feedback.
How do you like the new American Ghost Town Hunters Forum?

Is it Entertaining?
Do you like the quality of the Information?
How are the Pictures?

Are there any towns in particular that you're looking for information on?
You're feedback, questions and participation will keep me going!

Thanks Again,

:cheers:
Cheers,
H.Charles Beil
Treasure Writer

I've been hanging out on this site for a good while now and doing alot of reading, but haven't posted yet. This will be my first. I live in Idaho and there are a good many ghost towns around....most were old mining camps. I did run across a short auto-biography written by an old cowboy who grew up in Idaho when it was still a wild place. In his story, he mentioned a town called Crichton. It was near the modern day town of Fairfield. At one time Crichton had a store and hotel, was near a stage stop and there was a schoolhouse further up the creek from the town. I've done a little research on this old town, but have yet to find anyone who can tell me where it was located. I'd be interested in any information you might be able to provide. I live about 40 miles from Fairfield and would like to look for the town this summer.

Mike

Hello Mason Jar,

Thanks for checking in....and thanks for the question. It's 2 way exchange that will make this forum great. Being East of you I'm at a slight disadvantage to having access to these towns but I'm pretty sure that I can dig up something on the place. Give me a little time to look through my files. I'll tell you, I'd sure love to get out to Idaho to do some fly fishing. I look at all of the magazines and it seems like that's where everyone is going. Talk to you soon.

:cheers:
Cheers,
H.Charles Beil
Treasure Writer

Just found this forum. Looks like it's gonna be a good place. I was wondering about the ghost towns in Colorado...Can any of them be detected? Living in Albuquerque, NM right now but expect to be living in Colo. Sprgs. within the next couple of months.

Hello xwyokid,

Detecting Ghost Towns is pretty much a case by case basis. If they are in a National Park they cannot be detected. We've had good luck in Pa. in State Parks by getting permission from the rangers and sometimes the DCNR.

Lots of ghost towns are on private property. We typically get permission and share the finds if necessary. Lots of areas that we find are actually tax sale properties or bank owned where no owner can be located.

It's really the detectorists responsibility to find the owner and ask permission....but it's often a case like deer hunting....the property isn't posted so guys will hunt it especially if it is vacant land.

I think you're doing an excellent job & the Ghost Town Forum makes for some very interesting reading.
Hope to see something from Central Illinois sometime.....
Keep up the good work & I'll continue to check back often.

I really like the job that you are doing here. I am always looking for Ghost Towns, Abandoned Old Houses and Barns, Abandoned Old Forts, Old Abandoned Stills and Cellar Holes to go detecting in..... here in South Carolina. Please keep up the good work.
Thanks
urb2165@bellsouth.net

The new Forum looks great,lots of info and I like the pictures,thanks for all the hard work.

Hi H. Charles Bell, Great site you have and looks like you gona stay pretty busy with it! I have a place in Ms. I have seen on a couple of older maps but looks to have been lost forever. Several years ago I talked to a couple of really old locals that(I figured) were raised within a mile or so of the place and they had never heard of it.It was likely named after a timber/turpentine operation way before their time, but I did see it on a couple of maps, so it tweaked my interest " O'Diel, Ms ". I think that is correct spelling. Should have been in either NW Corner Pearl River, Co. or SE Corner of Marion Co., In "Devil's Backbone" area. I checked my "Hometown Mississippi" ( Extinct/Ghost Towns of Mississippi) but found nothing there. I might add that for those Miss. hands that can find an out of print" Hometown Mississippi" by James F. Brieger, that it has a heap of info in it. I saw where a hard cover edition was selling for $350. Be real cool to find a good cheap hard cover. They made a new batch several years ago and I got a soft cover for $40 or so. The soft cover/paper back sure comes apart real quick .Big Thick Book Though, with lots of of old places . 802 Pages,No Pics. HH Charlie

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your support and knowledge.
I'm hoping that this wil become the best ghost town resource on the Internet.

I'll look into O'Diel, Charlie....I love to research. It always seems the tougher it is to find info the better the site end up being. There are lots of virgin sites out there just waiting to be discovered. I'm into a group of 21 sites right now in one county in Pa. that I know have never been metal detected.....they are very remote.

I want to thank everyone for their help in the American Ghost Town Hunter Forum, and for keeping it active. That's what will attract new members.

:beers:
Cheers

Thanks a bunch H. Charles Beil, I'm in no hurry,and will likely never get to hunt it, but there are now plenty others looking for some virgin dirt. Thanks and HH,. Charlie

Hello Curtis,

Thanks for stopping in. I have a lot of Nevada ghost towns in the files. I'll begin posting some tonight!

Cheers,

H.Charles Beil said:
Hello Curtis,

Thanks for stopping in. I have a lot of Nevada ghost towns in the files. I'll begin posting some tonight!

Cheers,

thank you
Curtis

Thank You Mr. Beil for all your research, and interesting info. If you find anything on western MA., or Lincoln University, Penn. area it would be greatly appreciated. I live in MA., and my sister and her family are in Penn. My brother in law has gotten permission for us to detect a colonial homesite, that was once occupied by one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. The property still has a home on it from the very early 1800's, but the original house is gone. According to my brother in law the foundations are still intact. Maybe an April or May trip. Anyhow, I really like this new forum, history is always fun and interesting. Keep up the good work. Ron

Hello Ronaldj2,

I'll see what I have on Western MA.
I was in CT. Thursday.....how are you doing with all of the snow?

I guess your doing OK. I mean you've been here a whopping 4 days, and have only posted 163 times. What a slacker! Thanks so much for your time. I know how much time goes into doing research. Welcome to the Findmall family. We are happy and lucky to have you. :cheers:

Hello GateKeeper,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying to get as much information up as fast as possible so that you guys can be ready when the nice weather get here.

I really enjoy searching ghost towns...most haven't been searched very much....nobody bothers you....and the photo opportunities are generally great.

It's going to take me all year to post everything that I have. I hope that Findmall will become the #1 ghost town hunting resource on the Internet. Everyone here has been great.

If there's any specific area that your looking to search just let me know and I'll see what I have on it.

Cheers

Hello Charles: I love the new topic "American Ghost Town Hunters", I've been on here a couple years and think it's going to be a great Topic. Is there any conditions/requirements to be a "Ghost Town"??? In your Massachusetts Ghost Town thread, you list Dana, Greenwich, Enfield and Prescott as Ghost Towns. These 4 town were flooded to make the Quabbin Reservoir back in the 30's. The Buildings were tore down and the Cemetery's dug up and moved to a new Cemetery off Rt9. Now all that's left are cellar holes and foundations some visable now and others when the water is low. I don't think these town should be listed as Ghost Towns for this reason. The Reservoir area is State property so metal detecting is prohibit. So that bring me back to my question is there a requirement/conditions to be a Ghost Town ??? I love detecting older properties especially farms. And have wondered if there were any Ghost Towns here in Western Massachusetts. I'm going to look for the others you listed in the Massachusetts Thread, and will tell you what I find. Thanks for being apart or Findmall Forum and I look forward to your reply and any other you have on Western Massachusetts. Thanks Jack