Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How can I i.d. targets better, and how should I use noise cancel?

yogaguy

Hi all. I recently purchased a Quattro a few weeks ago, and I've been using the factory pre-set coin mode. I really like what I've learned about the Quattro so far, but I had a few questions on target i.d. and noise cancel. Alot of times I will be hunting in a field and I will get a good target signal and i.d., but then when I check the target from different directions I get different i.d. numbers, and some seem to "jump" around on the screen! It will go from 34 to 16 to -9 back to the 30's again. I like digging "all target" but after awhile this gets really tiring, especially when you find nothing. So I was wondering if there was a better way to check a target signal before digging it with the Quattro? And finally, I was wondering when and how often I should noise cancel the detector? I have read in Andy Sabisch's book that some people noise cancel every 300 ft. or so. And I was wondering if I need to noise cancel after first turning on the machine, and if I should "again" after I choose my search mode? I have read that when you noise cancel there should be no metal under or near the coil and that it should be kept still. But when I have tried to noise cancel in some fields, I can't seem to find a spot where there's no metal under the coil? (I switch to "all-metal" mode when I try to find a spot to noise cancel). Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Randy

I suggest that you run noise cancel AFTER selecting your search mode or if you change search mode. (If I am just switching to another mode momentarily, then back to the original, I don't run noise cancel.) I hunt the beaches and about the only other time I run it is when I go from wet sand to dry / dry to wet or when I suspect false signals.

Randy,

I had a Quattro last fall and used it a bit and found out a few little trick with it. I found the recovery was a little slow so some targets response would carry over to the next target, so if you had a slight good reading and then seen a louder trash items the trash would sound good, or better than the first item it seen.This could be why you are getting a good response, then when from a different angle it is completly different. What I learned to do was get a good repeatable response that sounded good and locked on. I would then bring the coil back so I had a general idea where the target was and lift the coil for the threshold to return. Now I would go right back to the target and swing the coil over it again and if the tone and numbers were the same that is what the target was, if the tone now was different that was the ID of that target and if it nulled it was a item that was disc out. What was happening was the Quattro may have seen a false signal right before this item it seen and tried to ID, the tones and numbers carried over to the next item which may be a trash item as the threshold never had a chance to return. By letting the threshold reset so the target you were trying to ID was the first target it seen it was able to ID it correctly. It only takes a few seconds to do and helps digging holes with nothing there or a piece of junk.
I feel this is why the Quattro will lock on to some of the deeper good target over the Explorer, or even a iffy one better as a slight signal of a good target will lock in better and hold that tone and number better, but also any trash item too will be caught up in that tone and if it is bigger and shallower it will sound like a good target.. We seen this last fall on some side by side comparisons when the Explorer seen a weak signal at 10 inches the Quattro gave a great signal on everytime I let the threshold reset. The target was a barber dime at 10 inches.
I would noise cancell right after i did all my setting or change any of them before i would hunt with the Quattro. I would just put it in pinpoint and find a spot where there was no or very little metal and hold the coil still so I would get no response off of anything. The coil was around 3 inches off the ground so it could pick up any interference.

Hi Rick and Sand Shagger. Thank's for the advice and info. on the target i.d. and noise cancelling questions. I've only had the unit for about 2 weeks, and I was beginning to get frustrated with it. So frustrated in fact, that I was about to sell it for a Fisher or some other unit. But I now realize like any detector, especially the quattro, it takes time to learn to use them effectively. So I will keep the quattro and work with it. Thank's again for all the help. Sincerely, Randy

I just used it and found that by double checking each target by lifting the coil off of it untill the threshold came back, then went back over the same target again to see what the ID would be the second time. Made a world of difference in digging trash.
I also found that if you are in a area with a lot of rusty nails I would switch to the relic or all metal mode and and set my own pattern, I just black out the very right side a notch or 2 so most all iron was a low tone and the coins stayed a high tone. These mode the tone goes by the ferrous while the others goes my conductivity of the target. It save me from digging a lot of rusty nails.

Good luck with your Quattro

Thanks Rick,
I gave your suggestions ago today and it is defiantly much better half the number of holes dug less trash still not a lot of keepers but that will come in time.
Thanks Randy for asking the question in the first place.

Hi Gary,

I also have problem digging up iron nails with the Quattro. I found out that the Quattro sensitivity of about 16-18 was too much for even the moderately trashy grounds that I hunt. Been digging up too much trash that I was beginning to think this was a trash detector :)

What I did was to go down from the 10.5 coil to a smaller coil...in my case a sunray X5 coil so that I can isolate multiple targets better. Buried a target coin at about 4-5 inches and found that I could get it even when the sensitivity was lowered down to around 7. The Quattro was also less noisy. I left it at 9 and this has reduced the frequency of digging iron nails. Anyway, I've been finding more and more coins the last few trips with this setup.

Think you can try this even with the 10.5 coil - when you find what you think is a coin target, try experimenting with your sensitivity where you can still get the 8-10 inch coins. That's what I will try next when I've "memorized" the sounds of good targets.

Hi Rick,
I also use high trash settings to help the slow recovery of the Q.
Running the Q in relic mode where the tones in the same exact spot seems to be an alternate of ferrous numbers and 40 on the lcd screen ...been mostly iron so far.

Hi Yogaguy,

I know what you mean by empty holes and I've had my share of that too. Rechecking the hole with the all metal pinpoint mode before you cover that hole.

One time, I buried a test coin in 4-5 inches to check the settings on my Quattro. When I dug it up again, I could not find it!...could not detect it when I swept the coil over both the dirtpile and the hole. Had to switch to pinpoint mode to find out that it is still in the hole. Both the Minelab FBS & BBS detectors lose depth when there is too much air space between the coil & the ground. An electronic pinpointer may also help.

Doug

Had my quattro since the end of april.Still hate the hi-trash setting for me in this setting almost all iron comes in with a hi coin sound end up digging my share and more of rusty nails.Or get a good high sound in hi-trash and there is nothing there.Just don't think much of this feature so far any suggestions????? hh kd

Hey Doug. I never thought about that before, I mean, the detector losing depth over open space. I've dug holes before too where after I dug them, and then checked the hole, I got no response back. So I think your right about the electronic probe. I just got my quattro a few weeks ago, and always thought about buying a probe for it, but I felt I could get by without one. I now know that they make finding the targets alot easier. Thank's again for your thoughts and info. on the quattro. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Doug. I see that you purchased a smaller coil. I thought about getting a smaller coil too, but was afraid of losing depth. I was wondering how you've liked it so far? Do you feel you still get good depth with them? I know you mentioned that your digging less nails and finding more coins. But do you feel the depth is still good with it? Sincerely, Randy

Hi Yogaguy,
Yes a smaller coil means you will lose depth. The reason why I switched to a smaller coil is I found it easier to learn a detector with a smaller coil. My fav sites are also 200-400 years old so the larger 10.5 coil usually has multiple targets under it. In the last few years, I've been making more finds with coils smaller than 8 inches since trashy sites abound.
Using a smaller coil such as a 5 or 8 incher helped me learn the machine without the frustration of digging so many huge holes :). That's what I did when I started with the Sov. But I am sure many others didn't have to switch to a smaller coil to learn the Quattro or the Explorer so it may just be my way of doing things.

Hi Garry,
Yes the X5 is an aftermarket 5 inch coil. Bought it since I wanted to see if I could find any old stuff that my Tesoro with 4 inch coil left behind :)
Please note that I am still learning the Quattro as well. IMO, think that piece of iron may be too big for the detector to disc out. As RickND suggests, you may want to notch out the higher numbers such as 40 as iron tend to bounce to the high tones as well. When the exact same spot (about 1-1.5" in diameter) makes the lcd jump from ferrous to high tone 40 and back on subsequent sweeps...I've found it to be iron. That is simply my experience but I'd suggest you dig some too as it may be a coin & iron in the same hole.

Hi Ks Digr,
I think the high trash setting quickens the audio response time of the detector so you can tell if there are targets close to one another. Don't think it is meant to eliminate iron tones.

You may want to try noise cancelling to see if that helps some. If not, you may try lowering your sensitivity to see if it helps reduce the high iron tones.

Iron thats been in the ground a long time tend to bleed traces into the soil around it and appear to be bigger than its original size. Most detectors can be set to discriminate out small nails & iron washers but not the larger ones. My iron problems are mostly four inch nails ;-(

n/t

I used to dig a lot of rusty nails with my Explorer, so I use the ferrous tone, now those rusty nails are low tones. With the Quattro you can run in the relic mode or all metal and get those low tones for nails as it is running the ferrous tone. What you do is run either one and make yourself a custom program Like the coin mode or any combination and save it. Now the rusty nails will be low tones while the coins still stay hight tone. The disadvantage is now you rusty bottle caps will be high tone, but by looking at the VID number you know it is not a coin reading. I used this on my Quattro when I had it and it worked good, but some iron too will give the hight tones depending on if the coil catches the edge of the iron. Also like I have mentioned before is to double check each target you think is good by lifting the coil untill the threshold comes back, then go over it again to get the ID of that target.

Rick