Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How close to an MXT can a V3 get?

willy

Performance-wise on small gold in very changeable, heavily mineralised ground? Yup, you can trot out all sorts of sensitivity-to-small-gold tests that show a V3 hitting on a tiny piece of gold held at x inches but, you know what.. stick that same bot 'o gold in/on some bad ground (MXT VDI 86-8:geek: and it's an entirely different story. Take the GoldBug II; really sensitive eh? Well, take that same GB II and run it over such ground and the MXT will give it a solid, no-nonsense whuppin'. I generally run my MXT, with DD coil, with the sens. maxed (+3) and HyperSAT at full, ground tracking on, and it runs smoooth; other detectors (XTerra 705 w. HF DD, for example) tank, and in a big way. Of course, my definition of smoooth might be a bit different from somebody else's, but it works for me. Anyway, can the V3, by some combination of it's settings, be made to match the MXT in a situation like what I'm describing? Would like to use one for prospecting, but I dunno... ..Willy.

I hang mine in the basement about 6 inches apart with no problems:clapping: Just had to do that. I have a single freq relic program that is close but if I want to mimic my MXT I just use my MXT

Hi Willy, I went with my brother this weekend to a claim to do some detecting.Me with my V3 and him with his GM3.This particular claim is a club claim and some members have a pretty good hole going by the creek,where they highbank.They have this hole down to bedrock and we figured it would be a good place to see if they quit cleaning the nooks and cranies before they should have.Now I have to admit that this was the first time I put the V3 in the prospecting program,but I have run the MXT and my brothers GM3.I had my 4X6 coil on the V to fit into the bedrock better.My brother got a signal in a crack that I had previously passed over without so much as a whisper.I went back before he started cleaning out the crack and played with the sensitivity and ground balance,but could not get signal whatsoever with the V.I took his GM3,put the headphones on and swung over the suspected target.While it wasnt an ear buster,the GM3 definately gave the good ol' zip-zip that was unmistakeable.If I was going prospecting,I would definately leave the V at home and take a GMT.In this video,you can see the little picker that the V would not pick up.The sensitivity of the specialty gold detectors for prospecting is way ahead of anything a multi-purpose detector is capable of,including the MXT.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFBsJkqmj4[/video]

How depressing.. I was banging out little bits of gold like that (many even smaller) all the time when I was up in Alaska with the MXT and 6x10" coil. Makes the V3 look a bit more unattractive as a main nugget shooter. ..Willy.

That MXT is a gold machine based detector (and it shows). Steve Herschbach was going to give the V some "tweak time". I know he's been real busy but did he ever post back with results on that one?

Im not saying that it cant be done and my experience with prospecting with the V is next to nothing.Theoretically,the V should actually be more sensitive to small gold than the MXT,because of its higher 22.5 frequency.As you know and have already stated,ground balance and tracking (if used) plays a very major role in searching for gold in the highly mineralized sites where its often found.When I was trying to pick up the little picker,I did nothing more than to put the ground balance in LocTrac in the bedrock area using the prospecting program and adjusted the ground balance offset to get a very slight increase in threshold as the coil approached the ground while pumping the coil.Having a GM3 to use for prospecting until I aquire a GMT though,I doubt I'll persue the prospecting abilities of the V3 very much.As a side note,I did see where the V3i upgrade does contain an MXT program in its library.

It would be interesting to see how the V3i MXT emulation holds up. I have a few specific areas where I like to test detectors to see how they handle truly severe ground and, with the exception of the MXT (and GMT with sens. turned down) they've all basically tanked. A real good one is at a defunct jade mine. This place just tears up a detector, the only exception being (at present) the MXT. Had an XTerra 705 (and an XT 70 before that) and they were basically unusable there regardless of settings or coil choice (had the HF DD's). Couldn't even use them in disc. mode. The success of the MXT there I attribute to the ground tracking. The exceptionally fast SAT didn't hurt either. ..Willy.

Gold gold gold: Recently I was gold hunting in Nor Cal, I used the MXT most of the day, just found lead pellets, boot tacks and small bullet pieces. I had the V with me, tried it out near where I was parked ( 5 minutes) and found a 4grainer 5 ft from me 2inches down, dumb luck with no effort, stock c&j program accept -10 to +94/rej -9 to -95. 3x5 coil
Over all, the mxt can be run quite well in high mineral soil, a great machine when looking for gold in iron infested area's.
My fav MXT setting is relic alternate search for gold.