Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Deep do you sig for a Coin?

ArizFlash

When I take out my F75SE coin hunitng I get a VDI for a penny/dime and depth reading of 4 - 5. I know the software does this calculation on a coin size object and conductivity. So I will usually quit digging after 7" because I thik the object is larger than a coin and deeper. I did dig one yesterday the VDI read as a quarter at 4" and the signal was still good at 7". I kept on going down until 10" and it turned out to be a old door knob.

Do any of you folks stop diggig based on the depth reading?

Thanks,

ArizFlash
Temporarily transplanted to the East Bay in CA.

No! not if its in somewhat of a normal range.
What I mean by that is the target is supposed to be 5" and its supposed to be a coin, I may dig down to the 7" to maybe 8" range and if my pin-pointer still don't hit it I cover it up and move on.

Now, with my Tejon I've found that it can hit on the tiniest of targets that before I dig to deep I always check my plug with the detector before I dig any deeper, the Tejon will lock on to a buckshot that is so small that the pinpointer want detect it unless you touch it with it.

Mark

In my area ( Arkansas ) it has been my experience that most of my silver coins are coming in at 7-8" range. Now it doesn't take many aluminum cans to figure out that if it bangs loud and what normally sounds like a 2-3" target and it is out of pro pointer range at 5-6 it is what it is, big target usually of the aluminum variety.

Hope this helps

Lakota

Mark, great advice for the new detectorist. Even though I have been digging for years, I sometimes have a mental lapse and forget the first rule of digging. Check the plug first! Any new diggers should be aware that depth readings on ID detectors are not foolproof. A small object like a rivet or birdshot will read like a deeper coin. It is very frustrating to dig a deep plug and can't find the target when it a tiny piece of metal in the first two or three inches of the plug.

One technique that works for me is to simply raise the coil off the ground and see how high you can go and still get a solid tone.The higher the larger the target.Heck I dug up a car liscense plat one time that was over a foot in the ground!! Usually depending on where I`m digging I`ll stop at about a foot and then wonder the rest of the day what it might have been LOL......hh rick in mi

Thanks Lakota

I've dug up lots of aluminum cans over the past 30+ years of detecting knowing it wasn't a coin by the size of the sound in the AM or pinpoint modes. I still don't know how these cans get buried so deep.

The end of the aluminum can VDI the same as a quarter or half dollar. I've dug quite a few of those as well.

Thanks for the response.

ArizFlash

Rick

I do that a lot for the aluminum trash. If I can still pick it up with the coil raised 7 or 8 inches I leave it there unless it is on the surface then I pick it up and re-scan the area to see if it was masking a deeper target.

Thanks for the response.

ArizFlash
Alan

Site dependent for me. If the property is 17 to early 1900's, I'll dig a few targets even if they're loud when raising the coil, just to test the property for a past fill. If modern trash is deep, I'll mumble a few cuss words and adjust the plan. If I dig some mason jar lids 8,9,10 inches, I brighten up a bit. I also enjoy digging up an old doorknob or two. After a half dozen dig's, I can get a good feel for the sites past...kind of tells a story, as you guys know.

At a park, I'm as selective as I can be with the capabilities of the detector I'm using. Also, I only hunt parks where old houses use to exist, I never go looking for clad. If I come across a piece of silver or gold jewelry, my first thought is who is going to like this most, my daughter or my wife. If it's a mans ring, goes into the gold bag...I don't wear rings, they always get caught on something and try to take my finger with.

I will admit though, it's not easy for me to give up on a good sounding target, even if it's past coin depth of my unit...... curiosity gets the better of me.

I understand what you mean Steve O , didn't think to mention it before but sometimes those big metal high tones that are obvious as to them being just that, can occasionally be mason jar lids. Have a pretty collection of porcelain caps that came from mason caps. But more importantly when it comes to older sites. Is that it was a pretty common practice in years long gone to bury your savings in mason jars.

A gentleman I was trying to help recover his lost wedding band told me a story about his grandfather walking out around his property and coming back later with over 15k in cash. Apparently his grandpa didn't have much love for banks :lol: but then again he remembered those great depression days.

Never know when one of those obvious big target high tone signals may be a forgotten about cache of goodies. Just a thought.

Good luck and stay safe,

Lakota

I dig a pre 1982 penny at elbow depth in a sand tot lot. What do you mean stop digging?