Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how deep will a SD go?

Jessgo33

I am looking on to see if the SD would be a good detector for gold in along a river in northen california? And say put on a lillte joey coil how deep and small of gold will it get? I have seen them for like 1800 bucks and wan'ted to know some specs bout them. Or users advise on the depth and performance thanks. Jess

Hi Jess what model sd 2000,2100 ,2200 and with the 10 inch elliptical a mono or dd.What is the ground like as far as mineralization and hot rocks.Have a look at a gp extreme if its in the price range hope this helps I live in Australia and have used all mine lab detectors since gt 1600 excerpt for the 2200.

prob the 2200. with the 10in nugget coil. I have been trying to get a job so i can pay for one of these detectors. I wouldn't mind spending 3k to 4500 bucks if i did. I wan't to find small to medium sized gold. Id say .5 gram to 6 gram nuggets.

2200 is the only mine lab I have not owned or used,but with the auto tracking should make it a easey detector to use,I would hate to give you any bad advice are there any detector clubs in the area where you live they should be able to give you good advice on the best set up for what you want to do . 10 inch coiltek coils are good, are you looking at a dd or mono.I use a 10 inch dd as a probe in deep holes and running it in cancel along fence lines and near electric fences on a gpx 5000.I also use 10 inch mono on surfaced areas I have found 0.1gram and even smaller .I would think for $3000 to $4500 you could get a gp4000 they are a good det.Hope this helps

I can't speak to the SD but the GPX will find incredibly small items. I don't gold hunt but in the course of hunting Civil War relics I have found #8 shot with both the 11" DD Commander coil and a 14" Coiltek A.I. coil.

Watch Jonathan Porters videos and you will see him do the same thing with gold using the 4000 and 4500 machines. I know the early GP machines are still out there and should be available for some very reduced prices.

My SD 2200 v2 with the joey coil is pretty sensitive. It hits half gram pieces pretty good and I have a 1.2 gram nug I can hit at 8" in my test bed . On big stuff its Deeeeeep!!!! with the 11DD stock coil it picks up my pro pointer at over 3' no joke.
The SD is a very powerful machine but not as refined as the newer models. Still a very capable machine but the new ones have a steadier threshold and timing adjustments that make a huge difference. But were talking over 4 G for a used one. If you shopped around you could get a deal on a SD but I would look for the 2200v2. I got mine for under $700.
I know you have the Bug as well and a PI would complement that well. I hear good things about the TDI as well and they use all the same coils I think.

Yea it helps i still want one. I did join a detector club, and have a xterra 70, and a loner Gold master 4 that i am using. I have found some good ground to hunt just trying to get some time away from school so i can go hunt.