Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do I know what type of ground I detect in?

Quartz sand, calcite and trucked in fill. The soil strata in FL is primarily quartz sand deposited from Appalachians run off over the eons it was a sea bed. Secondarily, there is calcium (calcite) from when it was covered coral and other shallow sea life beneath the same primordial seas. Trucked in fill is what it sounds like, and can be anything. The first two are not an issue, the latter may be.
I lived in FL for years and found the soils there to be universally benign to a detector.

I assume you are asking about conductivity of the ground minerals. The way to tell if the spot you are hunting on has a biased mineral mix is to switch to true non-motion all metal and test the ground. Only the GTI 2500 has a true non-motion all metal mode, so unless you have one of those, you are working with one of the lesser units. It doesn't matter, though, they have it, too. All you have to do is press the PP button to engage it!
Heres what you do.

- First detect in all metal or pinpoint to ensure there is nothing metallic in the ground where you are testing. Any metal in the test matrix will invalidate the test.
- Next, raise the coil a foot or so from the ground and press the PP button.
- Wait for the audio to stabilize to it's normally constant hum.
- Now, lower the coil to the ground, moderately slow.

If the response is an increase in the audio amplitude as you lower the coil, your soil is positively mineralized.
If the response is a decrease in the audio amplitude as you lower the coil, your soil is negatively mineralized.

You can raise and lower your coil, "pumping" it up and down and get another way to see this. If your ground is neutral, nothing will happen. If it is pos or neg, the audio will tell you.

Neutral to slightly positive is ideal. VERY positive or worse, negative, can be a problem if your detector has no way to compensate for the minerlaization. In almost any place in FL, I doubt there is a problem, but there might be. What detector are you using?

Uhhh scratch the commments about the GTI 2500 - I thought I was still in the Garrett forum. Everything else applies.

David did such a good job of answering your question that there was not much left to add.

Thank's , David, for taking the time to write such a good response.:clapping:

Happy Hunting

It was indeed a fine explanation that will assist in good end results!
HH

Except for the fact that I thought I was in another forum! Man, I hate it when that happens...
Sorry about that.

I guess we can forgive an honest mistake like that what with all the good advice you post. Still makes me chuckle when I think about it.
Pap