Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you experienced folks use your new Camera ?? help/advice required please.

Mega

This may seem like a crazy question,but as i am not sure i thought i would ask for some advice/help or infact any helpful information.

My new Nikon D3300 arrived this morning,its a entry level camera i guess compared to possibly some of the high end gear that some folks use,i am well happy with the spec and the camera for sure,but on reading the book that comes with the camera it can be as complicated or basically adjusted to about every scenario going,but i dont have great knowledge of all the settings but it does have full 'Auto' settings that basically does everything for me,until i get the full knowledge on what everything does would it be wise to just let the camera do everything for me at the moment then try a few different settings over time ??

Not sure if anyone else just uses the 'auto function' but have taken a few pictures this morning straight out the box after putting the 55-200mm lens on it and it seems to do everything for me on auto pilot and cutting out the 'Novice' behind the camera.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

It is like detecting. It all depends what you are after for and what environment/soil you are in....:wiggle:

So mostly when doing photo-party-sessions I use the automatic and motive programs.
They help to be fast and the results are good.
But if it comes to a special task the more manual modes will suit better.(like a picture from the moon)
[attachment 326319 Auto-Manu.jpg]

It is a good way to start in automatic and if the picture is not what you expect then you have to
leave that comfortable path and do some trial. In this digital world it is so easy as you will see
the results immediately. And the memory card can be erased easy, too.
When I started in the 70's with my first SLR it wasn't an inexpencive hobby.
If there are any problems to solve feel free to ask. Here are a lot of people having tons of knowledge
and are willing to help, I think.
And some time the foto-magazines have some great tips and tricks. So may be from time to time...

Congrats on your new camera. Waiting to see some great shots from you.
All The Best To You And Happy Hunting :cam:.

Oh, by the way, what helped me a lot was forming the habit to have the camera-cord always fastened around a arm or wearing it around the neck.
You won't belive how fast things will be accelerated.

@vito,that has been a tremendous help and very well explained in laymans language that i can understand,must admit using a few manual setting after a while or for say specific conditions manual will be best,i think your 2 images of the moon explain it very well.

Thanks again for your words of wisdom.

@Mega - Thanks for your kind words.

So, I really like to share my experience (wisdom is a BIG term which I do not utilize).

What helped me a lot was to understand the difference between portrait and landscape and how to set the depth of focus to my interest.
But most important is to "SEE" the picture right before it was taken to a frame.
The camera is only one tool get it done. And having the potential to do all the settings in manual
is a great advantage, you'll see.
The moon image was taken in 2013 with the Finepix HS25EXR and is not edited, except the size was reduced.
I know it can be done better, but that was one thing I had to do with this bridge cam.
So finding my goal and doing the best with the equipment I have that is what drives me.

Cheers - Enjoy the new task.:super:

[attachment 326323 Moon_2013.jpg]

What helped me was going to Youtube and put in Nikon D 3300 and watch all the videos that you can find..
My D 200 came with a DVD, and that helped me more than the manual...
When you go out to shoot, if you can, take your time,look in you view finder at everything that will be in the picture..
Be watchful when shooting towards the sun,I took some pictures Sunday, and 2 of the pictures had sun spots...
Have fun...
Bj

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Nikon-D3300-For-Dummies.productCd-1118204972.html
These books are generally pretty good helping out with a particular camera. easier to digest than most owners manuals.
Hey, you can even download a few free chapters..................
1118204972.jpg

Sven,will order one of those books later today,thanks for that suggestion.