Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you folks protect your valuable images. ???

Mega

This is a question that has been bugging me for some time,when you had the original negatives you could keep them save to a certain standard and if need be you could get re-prints years later or even decades later that is if they had been kept in a secure enviroment.

But with digital photography although its instant and we can see the images real time the down side that i see is the fact that unless you take great steps to preserve your images you could loose them,if you store them say on your computer which i guess most folks do,unless you take strict backups of these valuable image you could loose them all.

So what does everyone do to cover yourself to reduce loosing them all,at the moment i down load them onto my computer but then use a ClickFree external backup hard drive,which in theory is a secure way of doing it but as we are well aware a virus can pass from main computer storage to external storage facility the you stand a high probability of loosing both image storage facilities.

So what do you use and what would you recommend that i do ??? my way of thinking is that i have a spare new laptop in another location,so my way of thinking is also backup all my images from my main computer to the laptop and even possibly getting a external hard drive for the laptop as as well.

Is this over kill for this hobby or is this the only thing that you can do to reduce loosing everything.

I have a backup drive I store them on as well as the main computer, so basically two places. Also of course a lot of our images are on the 'cloud' or at an image hosting site. A friend of mine keeps all his original files, large as they may be, which is also a good idea because most of us cut down the file size to post. I'm guilty of not keeping the original 'negatives' which I should with any shots I think may be really keepers. Anyway, most of us are just doing this for fun and not as professionals so it may not matter as much.

Ideally, I've been told, you should have 3 copies of your photos and one of those copies should be kept at a location separate from the other two. That way if you have a house fire or some other catastrophe, you'll have the backed up copy somewhere else. I do keep three copies of mine, but all 3 are at my house right now. I eventually plan to put one of my external hard drives in a safety deposit box at my bank. My "working" copies are on an external hard drive that I take with me when I'm traveling. The drive also has all my editing software so that I can work on photos with a laptop no matter where I am or whose computer it is. My first back up copy is on the hard drive of my desk top PC at home and the other back up is on another external hard drive. Both external hard drives I use are Western Digital 2 Tb. I don't know if that's a proper way to go, but I do know I'd hate to lose all my photos.

Mason Jarr said:
Ideally, I've been told, you should have 3 copies of your photos and one of those copies should be kept at a location separate from the other two. That way if you have a house fire or some other catastrophe, you'll have the backed up copy somewhere else. I do keep three copies of mine, but all 3 are at my house right now. I eventually plan to put one of my external hard drives in a safety deposit box at my bank. My "working" copies are on an external hard drive that I take with me when I'm traveling. The drive also has all my editing software so that I can work on photos with a laptop no matter where I am or whose computer it is. My first back up copy is on the hard drive of my desk top PC at home and the other back up is on another external hard drive. Both external hard drives I use are Western Digital 2 Tb. I don't know if that's a proper way to go, but I do know I'd hate to lose all my photos.

Thats exactly my way of thinking,so currently have a 2 hard drives one internal and the other external and another external one that is on order,nothing high spec but with the new one on order i can put it into my fire proof safe which although is not in another location,it is seperated from the main computer and reduce the risk of virus attacks.

Of course nothing is 100% certain in life but will at least keep the rsiks to almost zero.i want to have all the external drives installed prior to starting taking loads of images as i dont want to run the risk of loosing them.

Second backup hard drive has arrived this morning,very pleased with it,its a 1TB drive so will do a total mirror image of my pc drive as well.So the current setup is that everything is backed up on the main drive,2nd drive kicks in for a update every 12 hours and the 3rd one will be plugged in on a weekly basis.

It may seem overkill but must admit the system appears to work very well and not complicated at all,its all on autopilot and the cost was very low especially when you think that all those images you could loose which are priceless in my mind.