Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How is the Vaquero in thick iron?

Gannon

Hey folks,
I’m bout to pick up a Vaquero black soon and I hunt in iron infested sites a lot. So much so I let my Etrac go, it totally shut them down.
My question is I know speed and seeing between iron is key but do they work well hunting old home sites with square nails?

Really? No one knows?

Well I always found my vaquero to be more of the relic Hunter, while my ED120 machines being much much better in iron infested sites.

I can often tell nails and avoid digging them but it's tricky. As far as masking, I think it holds it's own and has a very fast response time.

You will have to get the 5.75 concentric coil, it works very well. The 8x11 that comes with the black models is not a good coil at all in the trash. I just use it for fields and such. I mostly stick with the 8x9 and the 5.75 coils on the Vaquero. To tell the truth, I don't think I have found anything with the 8x11 that the 8x9 would not have hit on. Actually, if I had to choose only one coil out of those three, it would be the 8x9.

I only use the 6" Concentric coil [size=small](Tesoro label is 5.[size=small]75[/size])[/size] for the bulk of the trashy sites I hunt, be them an urban Coin Hunting location with a lot of modern higher-conductive trash and bottle caps in the mix, or Relic Hunting ghost towns, homesteads, stage stops, and other places used long ago and littered with iron nails, rusty tin and other hunks of ferrous debris.

I only have two coils for my Vaquero. The 6" Concentric I use 90+% of the time, and the 8X11 RSD DD that came with my black version Vaquero that I use for plowed fields, open rangeland, freshwater beaches and similar limited-target sites. The 6" Concentric/Vaquero combination hunts my favorite older iron infested sites well. I do my part and use the 6" coil and a slow, methodical sweep and the Vaquero is in charge after that.

Monte

Excellent. Thank you!

I prefer using my Fishers in really heavy iron because of the extra data I get from the screen which helps me tremendously.
I have used Tesoros in heavy iron too and they work pretty good once you get some experience at understanding iron and how it behaves on these things.
My Compadre and Mojave are both very good in iron infested sites and the Vaq with the smaller concentric sniper was no slouch either.
The Vaq seems to like iron a little too well in my opinion but it can still be dealt with, some can get a handle on iron using one but others over the years just never could for some reason.
One guy on the forums tried a Vaq for awhile and couldn't understand how to deal with any amount of iron at any site at all so he sold it and then went on a mission to pop up on every post mentioning the Vaq to tell everyone how horrible it was, like it was his life's work to steer people away from this totally inept tool.
We all just laughed, at first we tried to explain some things about how it behaved to help him get better but he was having none of it....like just because he had a bad time with iron using the Vaq everyone in the world would have the same experience.
Shortsighted and stubborn...finally most just told him to stick with screen units and just shut up about it.

Using my Vaq and the big DD coil for the most depth on a special club hunt permission in a very old home built before the civil war loaded with iron from tiny to huge I managed to find my oldest coin so far, a beautiful 1865 2 cent coin.
It was only one of two older coins found on this hunt despite over 20 members searching these grounds.
I found it in a pretty open area, trash and iron all around and I know for sure several hunters passed right over this spot with all kinds of machines but never found it.
My Vaq did despite the iron and the big coil at about 5" deep...it was solid and a definite dig me signal.
Don't know how everyone else missed it walking over this area unless none of them got their coils over this exact spot.

Like everything there are tells and indicators and plenty of clues in the Vaq's language and behavior if you want to use it to hunt in heavy iron and find the good stuff without digging every blasted signal you come across...once you learn how.
You still will dig some iron but a lot can be confidently avoided.
The smaller coils will make it all that much easier to do, as Monte mentioned, so if you are going to do a lot of this a must have accessory in my mind.

I have the UK version of the Vaquero which came with the 11x8 coil,the larger coil mainly is best suited for open farmland or clear sites in general because of the size of the coil its not the best option for trashy iron locations,for really trashy sites here in the UK then i use the NEL Snake 6.5''x3.5' terrific coil for getting between the trash and it does separate superbly but of course you dont get a ,massive amount of depth,but then you wont get the depth in these types of detecting environment anyway.

Only use the NEL Snake coil on my Vaquero and it stays on the detector almost all the time.

I have a Vaquero and cant tell you because I'm not familiar with other units . I will say this . A friend and I were hunting some foundations i the woods and there were nails everywhere . He was using a Garrett AT pro and couldnt get the hang of it .Hes kind of new to detecting . I used the Vaquero with stock coil and simply listened for good sounding targets . I cane out with a few coins , junk ring and tax tokens .

For what it's worth, I used the Vaq for several years and found many good items with it. However, I was always finding more iron than many of my friends.My hearing is not what it used to be, but when there is large deep old iron, I rarely find I could disc it out with the VAQ. A few years ago I bought a Minelab 705 xterra. That is my main machine now because I can disc out iron much more easily. It just may be my skill level or lack there of. I still love the VAQ for its ease of use and light weight, but if there is a lot of old farm iron around, I use the Minelab.
Andy from Hillsborough

5.75 concentric coil and you are in buissness. The Vaquero is awesome in iron. As for your E-TRAC you need the Sunray X-5 and run the machine wide open. Little noisy but it works. $200 coil but it paid for itself on the second hunt.

Fantastic info folks thank you again!