Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How long till you really started connecting w/ your V3

quote=Aaron]
Hi Marshall,
I have a 5x7 Accelerator coil, I found my gold ring with that. In fact I was just out today with it wind blowin 30 above goin through the trashy areas. Whats the difference between the coil Im using and the DFX one?
Thanks, Aaron[/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello again Aaron......My Great Great Great grand father was also called Aaron...(1700's)

Can't be too subjective regarding the differences (performance wise) but it's informative to simply compare the basics of the two coils.

Naturally, the manufacturers like to quote the outer casing size because it's bigger than the actual coil assembly inside.

The 5 x 7 Accelerator coil will have an area of Pi times 5" x 7" = 110 square inches approximately.

The Whites Shooter, 3"x 6" :- Pi times 3" times 6" = 57 square inches approximately.

So the Accelerator is twice as 'big' as the Shooter.

Now to the important significance of those simplified facts.

Let us assume that the detector feeds the same amount of power to both coils.

In use, it is obvious that one coil (the Accelerator) covers more ground per sweep than the other. (The Shooter) in terms of the ratio of the longer sides. (7 inches compared to 6 inches).

So on that simple point the Accelerator is about 16 percent better. A plus for the Accelerator.

But that isn

Apologies Aaron ( and to readers).

I forgot to halve the dimensions of the coils, so gave the wrong areas for their elliptical shapes.

The ratio of areas is still 2 to 1. All other factors are still relevant.

Corrected data:-

The 5 x 7 Accelerator coil will have an area of Pi times 5"/2 x 7"/2 = 27.5 square inches approximately.

The Whites Shooter, 3"x 6" :- Pi times 3"/2 times 6"/2 = 14 square inches approximately.

So the area of the Accelerator remains twice that of the Shooter.....

If you have enough experience it only takes one or two hunts and you know if the detector is "it". It is pure detecting joy when you find a unit that you "click" with.

If you don't "click", you can still "connect" but connecting time can vary based upon how comfortable you get with the settings, because connecting is trusting. When you get to the point that you trust your settings and trust what the detector is telling you, then you can say you have connected. I've connected with a lot of units, but only clicked with two. And there are a few that I never connected with.

My two zincs,
HH
Mike

Well said Mike. One of the things I like about the V3 is you can make it into a detector that you can click with. You don't have to adjust your hunting style to the detector unless you want to.

Kurt

This is pretty technical stuff Marshall, so are you saying the Whites Shooter is a better coil than the Accelerator even though its smaller? I'm not sure but is that coil made for the V3?
Thanks, Aaron

Marshall,
What advice do you have regarding interpreting the Spectragraph? Please just start a new topic.
Thankyou,
Aaron

Aaron said:
This is pretty technical stuff Marshall, so are you saying the Whites Shooter is a better coil than the Accelerator even though its smaller? I'm not sure but is that coil made for the V3?
Thanks, Aaron

Hello again Aaron......No.....I'm not saying one is better than the other, simply because I have never owned an Accelerator...

[attachment 147398 ShooterEclipse.jpg]

I was saying that I used the small 3" x 6" shooter off my DFX, on my Spectra, and despite only being able to use moderate sensitivity, it performed very well.

I almost guarantee it would smoke out some goodies in your trashy areas of your parks....if you have a Whites 'Shooter'.

They do make a Shooter for the Spectra, for I now have one. I have also purchased the Whites equivalent to your Accelerator....The Whites 'Eclipse DD'

I'm sure your Accelerator would also do well.....but the main point of my previous post was to try and draw your attention to the following facts.

(1) In trash or bad ground you should operate with the SMALLEST coil that you have.

(2) As you reduce the size of your search-head, then you increase per unit area (concentrate) the search flux and though you may not go as deep as the larger head

you put more poke into that area under the coil, whilst at the same time reducing ground effect.

Consequently, in tough areas you achieve better results (If the stuff is there).

Hope that makes a little more sense Aaron........I've had a rotten head cold for almost two weeks, and my poor brain has been almost blown away.

Hope you keep well now that those winter winds are making their presence felt.

Take care and good hunting...............................TheMarshall

Ok that makes lots of sense, I understand now. Thanks Marshall.
Aaron

Hi Kirt,
That is exactly why the V3 captures my attention. Someday next year I'll find out for myself. Until then I'll mostly lurk and follow along as others click, connect, or don't.
HH
Mike