Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How low can we go? With the F70 it appears pretty low!

REVIER

Sense and depth...

Yesterday I had chance to hunt a few hours last night before it got dark.
A Jr. College right near my house.
Been here a million times, took a ton of clad when I first came here but not a whole lot left, 3 gold rings from different areas so far too.
Just wanted to see if I cold still find clad I left behind in the past.
All settings were where I left them from the last hunt.
Disc was lowered to 4 because I still want to find the tiniest chains, everything else was left alone except thresh was lowered to -3, DE, sense at 30, 4H tones, notch always at 1.
Zip, zip, zip, found some coins pretty easily, a few pieces of trash, avoided most other trash that was jumpy and so on...a nice short but productive hunt.
These settings are excellent for shallow coin and jewelry hunting, I will probably keep them around but still not sure on the depth they will go.

Near the end of this hunt I came across a dime signal.
Solid 78, no jumpy numbers at all, solid tone and numbers from every direction, the depth reading said 5" deep and there was no trash or other signal near it.
This was the one.
I knew it was a dime with every fiber of my being, hoped for a silver ring but 99.9999% sure I had a dime under my coil.
I stopped and played with this awhile with every setting I could think of to figure out a little more about depth on low settings.

The sense was still on 30, I started lowering down the sense while swinging in short passes over this thing.
When I got down to about 23 it started breaking up a bit, at about 21 it became a signal I would not dig anymore.
Also something weird happened when I got to about 24 or 25 while it was still a solid signal I would dig, the high tone in 4H changed and became weird sounding.
Very weird sounding.
Still solid, still repeated, but it was not full sounding at all like half of the tonal qualities just went away.
Hard to explain but I didn't like it.
At that point I started adjusting the thresh and moved it from -3 to -2.
The tone got a bit louder but still sounded weird.
Then I went to 20 on the sense and I lost the signal completely.
It was gone.
I moved the thresh up one notch to -1 and it came back again, solid and repeating but still weird sounding.
Thresh back to -2 gone, up to -1 back...I did this several times.
No breaking up or iffy signal at any time during this, it was just like a wall went up at -2 and went down where I got a signal again at -1.
Strange.
I moved it up one more notch to 0 and it was a bit louder and I left it there.
Then I switched from DE to SL at this point and the signal came back, sounded clear and full, and everything was all right with the world again.
The 78 number stayed solid and stable throughout all of this except when the tone went away completely and then the number did too.
One more thing to do.
I lowered the sense one more number to 19 and the signal was still there in all its glory, one more move down to 18 and it was totally gone again.

Ok, lets take stock of what we have at this point.
Thresh at 0, 4H, SL, Sense at 19, Disc on 4, dead quiet, no falsing or extra noise at all and by scraping the coil on the ground I was picking up a for sure dig me dime at a supposedly 5".
Impressive!
Now these are the kind of things I need to know to give me confidence in hunting at really quiet settings at or even below the factory start up 60 and still feel I can find deeper coins at 7-8" or maybe a bit more if I had to.
Not sure I will ever do this but it is nice to know I could if needed.

At that point I picked up the coil 1" off the ground, swung and the signal was gone.
If this thing really was at 5" this was the limit in my ground at these settings.
I turned the sense back up to 30 and I could raise the coil another 2 inches or so and still get the signal solid.
That would be 7" on 30 sense.
I tuned up the sense to 40 and I could raise the coil 2 more inches and still get that solid signal every time I passed the coil over it.
9" on 40 sense.
Up to 50 on the sense, two more inches on the coil upwards, 11" on 50 sense with 6" air and 5" in the ground and that was all I needed to know.
Talk about confidence building!

All that was left now was to dig the coin.
I opened a hole, dug down slowly, got to the coin which of course was a dime and I took out a small plastic 8" ruler I get free from my bank and stuck it in the hole and put it right where the dime was laying.
looking sideways across the top of the hole at the very edge of the grass where I was scraping my coil I saw the number 5 on the ruler.

Alrighty then...this is data that I can use to my advantage!

Hunting in lower quieter settings and still expecting to go deep with confidence, I think so.
I will do this test again, maybe on the next deeper target I come across to make sure this is not a fluke but it looks good.

Maybe I don't need to hunt on maxed out crazy settings to find the deep ones.
I don't mind doing it, but why do it and put up with a lot of extra noise if I don't have to?

More experimenting to do, but this was a very good day in the life of me.

Remember, your mileage may be different.
My soil is unusually great, I GB at the low 40's to mid 50's most of the time, 1 bar on the dirt meter is common but a lot of times I don't even see 1.

All of this was done while using the 11" DD F75 coil.

Excellent! :clapping::please: Good info in your post...I am glad to see how much you experiment and share with us.:beers:

..I like flying the coil a couple inches off the surface running 50sens, it seems to give me a "wider" zone under the coil, great for big field speed sweeping to find the "lane" and the low sens also just nails a coin/target for stabbing...seems the proportional audio operates better regarding the tone changes on depth and location of the target under the coil..a very comfortable way to hunt quickly without all the chatter you mentioned...especially in the trash...i will often be flying that coil sometimes 3-4" off the dirt depending on the grass depth etc.

Yes, picking out coins in real heavy trash a guy drops that sens right down like you stated..I am pretty sure I've never dropped sens below 35 though....seriously, you can tell a bottle cap from a Q or D by tones alone, as their signal sort of washes out ...Your low sens experimentation is about the only way a guy can unravel a massive tight multidenom spill, slanted stack, tight group...too much "heat" and all those various signals compete with the processor...low sens gets in close to chain link, heavy iron playground equipment, under aluminum bleachers, edges of reinforced sidewalks, etc..with plenty of depth to spare like you observed..and in those areas, most guys are running too hot and cant hunt them..:thumbup:.

I beg you to video the "coil hop" method of pinpointing/hunting to share it here with everybody...that is really an awesome trick! Working the coil vertical hop in heavy trash is really something to see..it will turn you into more of a monster than you already are, I guarantee it! Nice Work REVIER!:clap:

Mud.

Good info here. And what you find is similar to what I've seen with the dd coil. I have pretty mild ground here also but alooooot of trashy sights. My testing has been between the stock conc. coil and the 11in. dd. I have a couple of deep coins (I think}, in a local park that I haven't dug just to use for testing. Found initially with my se pro I'm pretty confident they are wheats or silver dimes. According to both machines, depth is around 7-8 inches on both signals. I've removed a couple of pieces of canslaw so the signals are in clean territory. Suprisingly the conc. coil seems to lock on id a bit better, but the dd seems to go a little deeper, same settings but ground grab each coil. I'm really up in the air about which coil I like the best right now. To add to misery , I have the 9.5x5.5 nel coil coming to throw in the mix. I'm going to try some of your settings now and see what happens. I know I'm gonna have to dig those two signals at some point ,,,really gonna razz me if they aren't coins ,,,,hh

I could only hope for a consistent 60 GB. Don't have a DD yet so in your words, my mileage does vary somewhat. Your signal dying out at that sensitivity setting sounds par for the coarse due to your clean soil and bigger coil. I get a 1 way only hit on a 6" silver dime with sens. of 35 and thres.-3 with the 10" elliptical, discrimination at 19. As I said in some earlier posts my sand country has lots of topsoil imported from many different areas so usually the only constant is change.

What I am finding with the dirt meter though is it seems to reflect a higher reading when I am in need of a fresh GB rather than being relative to the soil's mineral content. Sort of like measuring a reflection or resistance, like an ohms meter would show line resistance. In other words, I can be balanced at say 65 with 0 to 1 bar on he dirt meter. As I move about and get into still better soil no change will be noticed on the meter. But on the other hand if I enter an area with more mineralized soil I will see an increase in the dirt meter to maybe 3 or 4 bars. If I do a fresh GB the numbers will most certainly be higher than 70, possibly as high as 85. After a fresh balance I may end up at say 80 or 85 GB but the dirt meter will now again be 0 or 1 depending on the type target s I am hitting. Just thought you might find that interesting------IB

mudpuppy said:
Excellent! :clapping::please: Good info in your post...I am glad to see how much you experiment and share with us.:beers:

..I like flying the coil a couple inches off the surface running 50sens, it seems to give me a "wider" zone under the coil, great for big field speed sweeping to find the "lane" and the low sens also just nails a coin/target for stabbing...seems the proportional audio operates better regarding the tone changes on depth and location of the target under the coil..a very comfortable way to hunt quickly without all the chatter you mentioned...especially in the trash...i will often be flying that coil sometimes 3-4" off the dirt depending on the grass depth etc.

Yes, picking out coins in real heavy trash a guy drops that sens right down like you stated..I am pretty sure I've never dropped sens below 35 though....seriously, you can tell a bottle cap from a Q or D by tones alone, as their signal sort of washes out ...Your low sens experimentation is about the only way a guy can unravel a massive tight multidenom spill, slanted stack, tight group...too much "heat" and all those various signals compete with the processor...low sens gets in close to chain link, heavy iron playground equipment, under aluminum bleachers, edges of reinforced sidewalks, etc..with plenty of depth to spare like you observed..and in those areas, most guys are running too hot and cant hunt them..:thumbup:.

I beg you to video the "coil hop" method of pinpointing/hunting to share it here with everybody...that is really an awesome trick! Working the coil vertical hop in heavy trash is really something to see..it will turn you into more of a monster than you already are, I guarantee it! Nice Work REVIER!:clap:

Mud.

Thanks mud.
Please put down the coil hop method here one more time.
I forget how to do it, I forget to do it in the field but I will try to remember on the next hunt.

Coil Hop...

OK. so there you are out swinging coil and you get a "ping"...instead of sweeping coil side to side in the traditional fashion to lock in and PP...you gently but briskly tap the coil on top of the target...like how a drummer, or a blind guy tapping a cane, or better yet like a guy icefishing and gently jigging a light lure for bluegills...quickly and gently..tap tap tap....the signal is shooting straight down see? and locks onto that target only, as you rotate your body and coil 90degrees all the while tapping, the proportional audio feedback lets you know how deep it is, and its location under the coil...takes less time to do it than type it...then stoop and stab with a screwdriver! Bam! its right in a golfball sized area under the sweet spot of the coil! You pretty much know what it is, and how deep...any junk washes out when you tap vertical, so a crowncap no longer sounds like a Q...drops to iron or no tone at all...depending on disc...

So it turns the 11"dd into a sniper coil..the location of the target is determined by AUDIO signal strength...a guy NEVER uses the PP button ever again once you do this a few times, you will see...if its a deeper target, a guy raises sens and continues to tap...bang! There it is again! Also, in DP tones...the only time a guy looks at the screen is for initial set up and maybe to check battery life once a month or so...:rofl:

In HEAVY trash, you know how tough it is to get a swing on a decent tone when there may be 6 other targets in your swing pattern? Even the tight coil wiggle method is tough sometimes, but the Coil Hop is killer!

The proportional audio signal strength and rotating 90degree is the trick...once you get really good, you dont even rotate 90 degree anymore..you know the target is in a plane under the center of the coil someplace, you pretty much know what it is and how deep, and that dictates how aggressive you get with the screwdriver....no need for a hand held Pinpointer or using the PP button on your rig either...all a guy needs is a screwdriver, you will stab things dead on...if you CANT stab a silver (coin) or gold (tab) signal, thats when a guy takes it easy and thinks "ring" and gets real gentle prodding around to find it...

indeed this will put more finds in your pouch per time afield...so instead of a 100 coin day, you are getting 200+ just from a quick time management perspective...and the more targets you get in the shortest time possible, increases your skill with the F70 language and site reading and ROI per hunt...if you need to, PM me and we will talk on the phone..knowing you, you will clean out a trashy BB court area in a dang hurry if you try this...
Mud

IBdiggin said:
I could only hope for a consistent 60 GB. Don't have a DD yet so in your words, my mileage does vary somewhat. Your signal dying out at that sensitivity setting sounds par for the coarse due to your clean soil and bigger coil. I get a 1 way only hit on a 6" silver dime with sens. of 35 and thres.-3 with the 10" elliptical, discrimination at 19. As I said in some earlier posts my sand country has lots of topsoil imported from many different areas so usually the only constant is change.

What I am finding with the dirt meter though is it seems to reflect a higher reading when I am in need of a fresh GB rather than being relative to the soil's mineral content. Sort of like measuring a reflection or resistance, like an ohms meter would show line resistance. In other words, I can be balanced at say 65 with 0 to 1 bar on he dirt meter. As I move about and get into still better soil no change will be noticed on the meter. But on the other hand if I enter an area with more mineralized soil I will see an increase in the dirt meter to maybe 3 or 4 bars. If I do a fresh GB the numbers will most certainly be higher than 70, possibly as high as 85. After a fresh balance I may end up at say 80 or 85 GB but the dirt meter will now again be 0 or 1 depending on the type target s I am hitting. Just thought you might find that interesting------IB

I have never had a GB number higher than the mid 60's and that was rare and only in a few areas at one or two sites...most of the time that is just an isolated patch and I move a few yards away and it gets better and the numbers drop to the 50's.
4 dirt bars?
Never seen that yet, 3 once for a short time, 2 a few times at some sites but zero or one is my common reading.
When my wife was looking for a new job and interviewing in cities all over the country I said wherever we end up is fine with me as long as the dirt is better than the devil soil in Birmingham Alabama.
She could have thrown a dart at a map and accomplished that task easily.
She did better than great when she decided on NE Kansas as our new home.

Yep, your soil is not quite as good as mine but have hope...I think you are going to see quite a difference with the 11" DD coil if that is the one you decided on.
You actually might be very, very impressed, or I hope that is the case.
I have more experience with the big DD coil at this point than the elliptical, I do love to hunt with that thing and a lot of experimentation to do with it in my future, but at sites where I am digging targets at 10" plus I gotta go with the DD, and other times when I know depth isn't all that important I am just too lazy to change over the coils, as easy and quick as it is to do on the F70.

I do have one site in particular that I found gold, about a zillion coins of all kinds but mostly copper cents...probably more than I have ever found in one site in the past.
Methinks not many have ever hunted this place much if at all, it is not in a great area and there are just too many high tones so even the cherry pickers might have stayed away, the severe pop top problem might also be a reason.
They are absolutely everywhere at all depths, more than I have ever encountered at any site and you know I hunt some sites so trashy some think I am crazy.
I hunted this area before with the F2 and the sniper and recognized the pop tops for what they were, the numbers were slightly off a real dime or copper cent signal consistently, but still dug a ton just to be on the safe side at first before I just quit doing that with confidence.
There might be some silver rings here that come in at these pop top numbers but I have a lot of patience and don't mind wasting a little time digging trash but that patience has limits.
I wouldn't even consider going back there with my big DD coil or even my sniper...also a DD.
Volume rules at a place like this with so many undug good targets possible especially in the high tone area and the elliptical is perfect for this place because the numbers on pop tops are also slightly off from coins just like on the F2 and I dug enough of these with the standard coil on the first few hunts to have confidence I can leave most of these in the dirt and not worry.
Most areas using my DD coils in disc and any of the tones and low disc to trigger that iron grunt when I rim these things is fast and pretty efficient...but not fast enough for me when I am on my game and looking for huge volume.
The concentric will be faster and a few seconds here and a few seconds there not wasting time rimming or turning 180 degrees means more targets dug at the end of the day.
Even just a few extra targets overall could matter, one of those might be something great.
Can't wait to get a chance to go back there with the F70 and the standard elliptical coil.

Treasurebone says that he gets about 2 more inches with the big DD coil over the standard elliptical.
For me I have found that is minimum...in my good soil I think it is more closer to 4" which in our hobby is unbelievable.
You usually have to upgrade to a much more powerful detector to see a difference like that, but there isn't many out there that I know of stronger the the top line F series so the price of the upgraded coil is the way to go and cheap, considering.
One more inch can make the difference in finding something deep and great, 2" more is thrilling and way worth the upgrade money, but 3 and 4" just by changing a coil, well, I will know more about believing something so crazy could actually be true as time goes on and I compare coils head to head but right now, right here, in my great soil I think that very well could be the case.
I gotta believe that those depth numbers you mentioned will increase with the 11" DD coil on the end of your stick, even in your soil.
Hopefully the GB numbers and dirt bars might drop a bit too which will add to that extra depth.
Everything helps, we will see.

You guys gotta remember, I hunt without a Pinpointer and generally without a trowel...never kneepads either...hunting surface to 5" is my game, and seriously fast hunting gold and silver in DP tones...
I carry an Fpoint, for when a guy gets a chain in the grass roots its hard to stab, or when I accidentally get over zealous with the screwdriver and tip a coin on edge when stabbing..I carry a small blade lock back knife to cut a slit in the sod for deeper signals,

The Fpoint, as much crap as it gets as far as pinpointers go..:rofl:.I have found as the PERFECT weapon for surgical target location, since it will only buzz when directly touching something in a small hole like a screwdriver makes...that slim finger can go right on down a screwdriver hole with easy, and ream around under the grass roots too...
I bet I deploy the Fpoint maybe once per outing, and the knife maybe twice...the rest I can extract with the screwdriver...definitely cannot hunt without a screwdriver!

Hope this is not a thread hijack...just trying to help and really love this F70.:inlove:..very unique capabilities that hardly anyone talks about...I dont know if the coil hop works on other rigs that dont have such a fast recovery return as the F series has...work it out for us will you REVIER?
Mud

Thanks for all the great info mud.
You can never hijack my thread...even your Alzheimer like babbling comments are always welcome!:blink:
:rofl:

The first post in this thread was actually the second part of a longer post in another place.
The first part was a hunt before this one at a site with absolutely no EMI to speak of and I also did a little messing around with the settings and on this hunt I really found out what a difference the thresh setting can make among other things.
Might as well throw part one into this thread too.

2 short hunts in the last 2 days, Saturday afternoon I went to a local park close to me and hunted in an area I have been many times before.
EMI is not any kind of problem at all in this particular part of the park, and even on max setting in both disc and AT on SL speed I usually don't hear much of a hint of falsing because this park is so big and when you are in the middle of it you are nowhere near any homes with wifi or power lines as far as I can tell.
This was rare, but it is a great site to see what different settings can do and how they affect my signals and depth and all else without worrying about adjusting the detector to account for the EMI part of the equation.
A picnic table and grill in one part of this site, some open area around it and part of that area led to a small lake.
I have taken clad from here before and I knew it was one of those super trashy places in some areas especially near that picnic table.
I have never found anything deep here in the whole park that was a good target like jewelry or even a coin, using the F70 in the recent past I did try to determine if anything good was past 6" and even deeper up to 10" and beyond, depth levels where I have found coins and other non trash in other parks, but here the only thing deep like that was iron in this park.
Not relic iron or anything cool either, nothing I have ever dug up here in the past that was iron was worth digging so far so I am not going to worry about major depth here.
This is a prime place to try out the low power settings I have been messing with in my more trashy spots.

I played around with sense on 40-50-60 at first, DE, Disc on 4, I started in 4H tones and the thresh started out maxed out at 9 and at that level there were so many signals that it was crazy.
The manual says in disc at 9 on the threshold the detector accepts the smallest targets, and also the lower you go the more you will eliminate shallow trash.
I can now attest that these statements appear to be totally true.
At 9 there was not many false signals at all, a few, the kind that have the numbers stick on the screen for a couple seconds, but none of the kind of false signals you hear in heavy EMI or with all the power and settings turned up.
I think that the false signals I did see, and those were usually numbers that were high into the 90's, these were caused by some big iron deep because I did go back and check out a few and I got depth numbers near a foot or so and low iron numbers when I switched to program 2, AT, SL and everything else maxed out as a check.
While the thresh was still set high somewhere along the way I changed to 2F tones because the amount of noise I heard on 4H was massive and started to drive me crazy.
The numbers flew by on the screen using both tone settings, and from what I can tell in the time I left the thresh at 9 and swung this thing around every tone, every changing number was an actual piece of metal in the ground.
I have found very tiny metal pieces in the past the F70 seems to pick up on easily, for instance something as thin as a paperclip wire 1/2" long.
I found something exactly like that in a volleyball court sand pit at 5" a few days before.
At these settings I got a real good idea on exactly how much metal is actually under our feet.
I have hunted with my F2 and nothing knocked out in the past and got tons of signals in other sites from time to time...but not like this.
Even using my Vaquero in trashy area in no disc and all metal I don't recall getting this many signals or an indication of this amount of different metal targets in the ground.
Probably wrong about that, the Vaq can pick up most everything especially in all metal, but I don't remember hearing a wall of shear target sounds like this...ever.
It might be in both cases with those other detectors the sites were not loaded with metal like this, but I suspect that is not the case.
I believe that what was really happening here was that the F70 was gathering up EVERY piece of metal it passed over from shallow to deep, large and small, thick and thin, and let me know in those numbers flashing on the screen and the tones that kept changing.
I am not sure but it seemed I had more flashing numbers than I had tones to match in 4H.
Maybe some of those numbers were false after all, but maybe the screen can react faster than the processor can push out a tone in a packed site like this.
I am not a Fisher engineer and I really have no clue, but eventually I had to change the settings because this was too much.
I still picked out a few good coin numbers and high tones in 4H, and noticed a few more coins in the numbers on the screen after changing to 2F and doing that was not really hard, but there was so info hitting me from all angles it was tiring so time to change the settings and see if I could still pluck some good targets out of the trash.
First thing that I changed was the disc.
Up from 4 to like 23.
Much better, lots of the tones went away...still a lot coming through, though.
Mostly tabs, can slaw, pop tops and the usual stuff that we get past garbage like condiment packet foil which is where the disc was set to get just past those.
Picked up a few more coins when I saw the good numbers on the screen, but still too many trash signals and I wanted to see if I could set the thing to just hit some solid tones in 4H and I could go back to hunting like I did with the F2, never looking at the screen unless I heard a good tone first.
I had to eliminate most everything bad I possibly could to do this so the sense went to 30, the thresh went to -2, DE, Disc still on 23 4H tones and away I went.
It was a breeze, like old times.
Got some solid signals in garbage areas, messed around moving the coil over these and if the numbers didn't jump more than 2 I dug them, if they jumped more than that especially after turning and scanning from another angle I left them because I had confidence they were trash.
Some solid trash that didn't jump more than 2 I did dig, but there wasn't too many of those once I got away from the picnic table area.
The coins, however, jumped out of the ground at these settings.
So effortless to notice them, so easy to find.
I have said before when you lower that sense down it seems to shrink the scanning field to become more like a laser pinpointer, even on the 11"DD coil I was using.
The only thing I didn't have a chance to do was find a target that was fairly deep, 5-6" or more, and play around with the different settings to see how deep 30 sense will really get me.
I dug a few coins at about 5" on 30 before, maybe close to 6", but I still have no confidence I could get much deeper so at this point I would use these 30 sense settings when clad and jewelry hunting but I won't expect deep coins at 7-8-9" or more at this point.

Man! You nailed it! The Wall of Sound! Like the Motown Phil Specter days..."Shrinking the Scanning field" is super important once a target is pinged! Low sens or thresh does that...
Seems coil control, height and speed off the dirt with some comfortable set-ups lets a guy throw that big rectangle pattern out of the DD, and then the proportional audio feedback lets a guy shrink the target signature...really good way of putting it...the main pattern coverage is a rectangle, but the audio strength is like an inverted cone...

Funny in a way, a guy hunts along and the coil height and speed is constantly changing to voidere those big foil balls or gatorade tops out of the mix...picking through the mess with speed and aplomb!
Light weight F machine lets a guy control it and guide it with just the thumb and forefinger...comfortable, fast and deadly.:thumbup:
Mud

Every stinking time I go out with this thing I learn something new and I am amazed at what it can do and how by changing just one setting...let alone more than one, how things can change and turn this thing into such a precise tool for so many different sites and situations if you get those settings just right.

One day I will have enough data, info and experience to just remember the 32 most absolute perfect setting combinations for every site and situation imaginable and then I will be able to just quickly set it and go hunt.

Yea right.
So much fun messing around with this stuff it might never end.
My normal high volume of finds is seriously suffering because of all this playing around at this point, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

You know..thats why I settled on just some simple things with the F70 and let my brain try to figure out what it was saying to me...just so many different setting combinations for my Alzheimer and Alcohol addled CPU to figure them all out.! :rofl:

The first year I got it, the F70 that is, ( 4yrs ago April) no detecting background or experience, I ran in AT for fear of missing something deep or I dont know what,:shrug: complete sensory overload watching the screen!..I remember sweat pouring down my face and being exhausted at the end of a short session...but by dang I was intent on finding something!

Then I re-read the manual, and it said in a round about way,,if you can get good with DP tones, maybe your Life will have meaning?.:rofl:..So I started cautiously playing with the settings.. .running Disc15, and adjusting sens/thresh to quiet it down, running DP all the time...then I found this Forum.:please:..and there was an guy who posted on here, Zeekeys, who hunted shallow and fast, and by tones if possible, and that seemed to fit my style and character....and it opened up a whole new World...

I dont like playing around with settings as I hunt...I just want to hunt! So the settings, though maybe not perfect, are adjusted by my internal CPU to keep me on the coins..I hunt in my general settings with little modification or experimentation...my hopes for you are that I will learn something I NEED to adjust or try to be better, faster, and more productive in the time afield I have been alotted. One thing, I will NEVER leave DP tones! Somebody will really have to convince me to even attempt that, and that means proof in field, right in front of me....

All this said, as REVIER referred to, the F70 has enough adjustments for somebody to tailor them to specific circumstances, sites, and desires, from deep old silver, war relics, or just busting stinky piles of clad, ....I must say its been quite a fun adventure, and I hope the guys that designed and built this thing get a kick out of watching us hunt with it.

I'm gonna pick up another F70, otterbox the electronics, saw the fins off that 11"dd, and have one hell of a water hunter someday...you just watch!
Mud

I could not stop reading that one , Intresting

With a medium to larger coil, turn down the sense and not loose much depth,

How about a smaller coil and run it til it chatters?

All I should be loosing is ground coverage, but should be able to tap dance through the trash along park paths and around benches/playgrounds/trees.
I have the little elliptical, and the new 'phones should be here this week,
Besides, I haven't "tested" the little coil yet.

shadowulf said:
With a medium to larger coil, turn down the sense and not loose much depth,

How about a smaller coil and run it til it chatters?

All I should be loosing is ground coverage, but should be able to tap dance through the trash along park paths and around benches/playgrounds/trees.
I have the little elliptical, and the new 'phones should be here this week,
Besides, I haven't "tested" the little coil yet.

I have only used the sniper coil for a short time, so far.
It worked perfectly, next to a picnic pavilion it picked out a few coins in that total trash pit on my normal, higher settings.
Near this same pavilion is another grassy area under some big trees and a picnic table.
With maybe only 8 hours on the standard elliptical coil I was able to pluck a gold ring from there, even though it was nestled up right next to some sort of trash.
A little jumpy on that one, but by slightly moving the coil I was able to get some stable nickel numbers on the screen and chose to dig it.
If turning down the sense makes the big DD coil seem like a much smaller surgically precise instrument, I wonder what doing the same with the other coils will do?
How deep will they go, and exactly what would it be like to take coils with already posess hard to believe target separation and sharpen them up even further?
One day soon I will give it a try.

You seem to be picking up what I'm laying down.

Run the "big" coil over the large areas a'la mudpuppy fashion, Where you can tune in lower if needed.
Then "pickpocket" those tight, overgrown, nasty, trash-strewn spots with the smaller coil,

Now, whether its me or the "little football", the smaller coil seems to ground grab quicker and seems less sensitive to EMI, for what little I've used it,

Ol' mud may have been on to something with his "QwikSwitch" idea for a switch box for a large and small coil.
One could setup Program 1 for the big coil. Program 2 for the small one. Get them both close enough to the right settings and "clean" the place.