Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many New Tone Goldens?

HaroldILL.

I was wondering if anyone has a idea how many New Tone Goldens were made? I heard something like 25?
That sounds too low though. Just Curious as Don't see many for sale. They started at serial number 190900.
Mine is 190907. Maybe someone has a high number one?
Thanks.

Serial number over 800, bought in March 2012. Nice machine but I mostly use a detector made in El Paso.

Harold said:
I think all above are the Old Tone Models?

Hey Harold,

First, let me say that I am not an expert on the Golden µMax. That said, I do believe mine is a New Tones. My sn 197836 is 6,828 units later than your sn 190907. I believe (?) the new tones were made 'out of order' meaning Low for foil, Hi-Med for NIckels, Low-Med for Tabs and Hi for Coins. If I recall, the old tones were in 'order' meaning Low, Low-Med, Hi-Med, and High for the Foil, Nickel, Tabs, Coins categories respectively.

Let me know if I need to adjust my thinking . . . . . :biggrin:

Rich -

Well, you got me. My serial number appears to be well after yours, but I have no idea of the number of Golden µMax's made in total, nor where the old tones stopped (numbering) and the new tones began. And if, on top of that, upgrades were done to the older versions as they came in, then Tesoro might not even know how many 'new' tones are out there.

Guess that one would need a phone call to Tesoro to figure out.

Rich -

I remember back several quite a few years when someone down there in AZ told me that they just had serial number stickers, and when a production run of one model ended and they went to the next/different model, the serial numbered stickers just continued to be used, going from one model to a different model to a different model as the production runs changed. That means you could have one string of numbers for a Golden µMAX, then when that run ended the next serial number went on the next production run of maybe a Compadre, and so on. So one particular model could have a lower serial number and the next run of the same model might start with a larger number with those in between being stuck on a completely different production runs of various models.

As an example, my personal Bandido II µMAX is serial number 95716, but a newer Bandido II µMAX I have to sell or trade has serial number 20A 116318 so you can see there was quite a difference in numbering. This model was produced from 10/'97 to 1/'01, about 3 years and 3 months, and many other models were also made during this period of time, to include 099949 on my Silver Sabre µMAX which was produced one additional month, to 2/'01.

Also, I have picked up gently used Tesoro models through the years, two of them, that didn't have the serial number sticker on them. When I was a Tesoro Dealer, I had maybe 3 or 4 brand new, right out-of-the-box units that either didn't have a serial number sticker on them or one that was just barely attached and ready to come off. Those were on the newer ABS plastic housing models and I think it might have been oils or chemicals on the housing that kept the serial number stickers from sticking. In other words, we can get a Tesoro, even new or 'as-new' unit, that might not have a sticker and you wouldn't be able to reference it to any serial numbered models.

Monte