Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how many of you run your machines in ALL METAL regularly?

sandtrout

i've read in some of these forums that some dirt hunters regularly run their detectors in the ALL METAL mode. i know some people will at least discriminate out the iron if nothing else. has running your machine without any discrimination worked out for you? i dig the pull tabs but to use just the ALL METAL mode seems like a TON of digging.

All metal mode is the only way to get the deep stuff. Especially when relic hunting. If you use too much disc. the really deep stuff may be discriminated out as iron or not even heard at all. Yeah, I dig a lot of iron but I dig a lot of good stuff too. If you have a machine with target id there's no reason not to run in all metal. Your discriminating visually while accepting all targets. Now, the park pirates have no reason not to run in disc. mode but for relic hunting thats the way to go.

Good Luck!

When I relic hunt, I run all metal or "zero disc" if the machine does not have all metal mode. You can get a little deeper and stand a better chance of hearing that old silver that is being masked by iron. Txquest

Does all metal mode see deeper than DISC turned all the way down? The sound of the all metal mode on my Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II is annoying.

I will have to answer with it depends on the machine. My Sidewinder is deeper in AM than low Disc. My Musketeer is not though, or at least I can't see a difference.

NJgeoman said:
Does all metal mode see deeper than DISC turned all the way down? The sound of the all metal mode on my Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II is annoying.

:usaflag:I agree. I have a hard time with "All Metal" mode because there is so much iron in the ground. I call it "All Tylenol Mode". Turning the sensitivity up a couple notches as an alternative seems to pick up stuff a little deeper.

[size=x-large]I run in all metal because in disq it is possible to lose some good targets whith somthing as small as a staple ,somtimes i may sheck a target in disq but in mineralized dirt all metal is the way to go [/size]

Desert_Rat said:
All Metal is the only way to go. But don't tell the Tot-Lot guys, Jewlery count will go way up.
Too late! This is really a great post . I even noticed that some of the "iron" signals that turned up gold were a little different than the actual iron or trash targets-not much but some quite a bit. It's also cool that the first day after reading this and going for it, I found a gold plated earring. At least I haven't found any markings, yet.

Well, I prospect for gold bus, aside from that, I often run in tone ID all metal 'cause the mineralization mixed with our crummy iron (steel?) cored Canadian coins makes for a lot of lost coins when hunting with any significant level of discrimination. I find hoards of our new dimes and plenty of not very deep silver because of this. ..Willy.

If the site your hunting isn't too junk-infested, then all-metal is usually a good way to go. I been working on a few school yards lately, and even in all-metal mode I dig surprisingly little trash. It also helps bring up my desirable find totals; I've found multiple rings (junk, but jewelry nevertheless) and countless nickels by digging the more solid sounding iron signals. Really, under these conditions, its kind of a no-brainer, especially since by BH Lone Star has an LCD that still IDs targets in all-metal. Also, from my experience, hunting in all-metal does take up less battery power than a disc. setting.

i appreciate everyone's input. as a newbie i'm starting to see how you all think and that's part of the process!

Hi sandrout; Welcome to the Forum. I search in all Metal on farms and "minor" Disc in the trashy areas becuase I have VDI indicators and 4 tone response as well. Works For me. No matter what you "WILL" always dig some exra trash regardless of where you hunt.The old saying is "where there's trash there's treasure". So go for it.ok PEACE:RONB

Many relic hunters do as if it beeps they dig it and some of what they are looking for may be ferrous or non ferrous or combination of both..On occasion in an old clean area when its slow but all in all to use in a park with all the junk...won't get off your knees...As far as depth usually more depth can be had...