Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How Many Scorpion Users Swing The Round Goldhunter Coils?:garrett:

PennyFinder

Just snagged a round 4.5" Scorpion Goldhunter Crossfire coil off Ebay. This should be a nice coin and ring coil for trashy sites, just like the 4.5" Sniper coils.
The new Gold Bug 3 will use this size of coil as well upon it's release as well.
John Edmonton, you have the round coils for your Scorpion as I recollect. Uncle Willy does too. Do you like them? What is your take on them? What sizes do you have?
The 8.5" round Scorpion Goldhunter Crossfire coil is next on my hit list. Garrett no longer makes these round coils for the Scorpion any more. Wonder why? :sad:

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

Alright!:clapping:Congrats on gettin' that 4.5" Crossfire Goldhunter!:cheers:Awesome little search coil!:super:I've got that one as well as the 12.5" Crossfire Goldhunter. You're correct about that little one being great for trashy areas. Hits hard on rings(but :pulltab: too)gotta take the good with the bad. Dial those out and you can pluck coins out of trashy areas like nobody's business.:biggrin:
In the tot lots, you'll have to turn down the sensitivity(depth)to work around the equipment. It's ALOT more sensitive than the Ace.
As I recall, Garrett discontinued the concentric search coils for the Scorpion years ago, because of the feedback from users. The overwhelming majority of Scorpion owners use(d) the machine primarily for nugget shootin'. The concentric search coils don't work as well as the double "D"s in the mineralized ground usually found in gold country(too unstable). They sure are great for coin shootin' and it's a shame that they were discontinued.
By the way the new gold bug's search coil is 5" double "D" (not concentric).
Have fun with that new search coil!:happy:Happy Hunting!:)

Thanks metalhead on throttling back the sensitivty around the monkeybars tip. Where would you run it with the little 4.5" GH coil?
On the Fisher GB3, " I stand corrected" said the man with orthopedic shoes!:lol:

I'm thinking the 4.5" GH coil would also be the ultimate coil for flyspeck gold detection in quartz rock and other low mineralization ore samples.
Do you use the big 12" GH coil for quick work on ring hunting in sports fields with your Scorpion?

FoilFinder:twodetecting:

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

I just have the standard coil. I have been searching for the 8 1/2" Crossfire coil that fits the Scorpion for years. They are very scarce!

Well if the whiners lobbied the round coils out of production. We should all lobby back and ask Charles:cheekkiss: if he could make a 5 - 6" round coil for the Scorpion. That is about the best all around size loop for coins n' ring sniping in moderate trash. We should call it the Scorpion Coin Hunter coil or Coin Stinger coil. Hmmmmmm!:clapping:

FoilFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

PennyFinder said:
Thanks metalhead on throttling back the sensitivty around the monkeybars tip. Where would you run it with the little 4.5" GH coil?
On the Fisher GB3, " I stand corrected" said the man with orthopedic shoes!:lol:

I'm thinking the 4.5" GH coil would also be the ultimate coil for flyspeck gold detection in quartz rock and other low mineralization ore samples.
Do you use the big 12" GH coil for quick work on ring hunting in sports fields with your Scorpion?

FoilFinder:twodetecting:

You are absolutely correct about that 4.5" search coil being the best for ore sampling.:happy: It really is and that's actually the main thing that I use it for. As far as where to set the depth control level for tot lot hunting, it can vary. I usually have it below 12 o'clock position in tot lots. While getting right up close to the big pieces of metal equipment in the tot lots, you may even want to move the depth control all the way down(before clickin' the machine off). One thing about that Scorp, I seldom if ever just "set and forget". I'm always tweekin' her. I'll listen to how she's talkin' to me and make adjustments on the fly.:detecting: I actually don't use the Scorpion in tot lots vary often. My main tot lot machine is the GTI 2500 with 5" double "D" Excellerator search coil. I mainly use the Scorp for electronic prospectin', but it's fun to swing it around in the parks/tot lots from time to time.:wiggle: I hadn't used that 12.5" search coil on the Scorp in years (I actually forgot I had it) but I came across it in storage a couple months ago and played around with it at the beach a couple times. Back in the day I use to use it relic hunting and ghost towning. Nowadays when I hunt open fields or wide open spaces, I'll use that 10"x14" double "D" on the GTI 2500 or even that 10"x14" Excellerator on the Ace 250.:garrett:
Happy Hunting!:)

Found a post from "down under" illustrating the round coil oversensitivity in the Aussie soil for prospecting.
http://www.goldminingcentre.com.au/articles/A3B.html

You would think there would be a few orphaned 8.5" round coils kicking around, as many folk upgraded to the elliptical coils.

Here is a 4.5 Goldhunter coil offered if anybody needs one: http://www.goldminingcentre.com.au/md/garrett_accessories.html

PennyFinder

Wonder if the 15khz Garrett Grounhog 4 pin coils could be rewired to the 5 pin configuration for the Scorpion. That little 7" Groundhog would be a killer coin ring coil!:thumbup:
Somewhere I was reading on the net, it could be done, anybody else read this? Anyway my little 4.5 Goldhunter came today! Tomorrow I'll hit the monkeybars in close.

Found this:Here you go. Garrett Groundhog ADS coil Schematics

RX

Pin 1= Black and Shield

Pin 2= Orange

TX

Pin 3= Brown

Pin 4= Red

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

PennyFinder said:
So from from my understanding, does the Garrett A3B use the same coils as the Garrett Scorpion?:blink:

PennyFinder

Yeah, it does. Hey thanks for the schems on that 7.5". I think I'll just leave mine on my old Coin Hunter:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

P.S.
I bet Garrett's would re-wire that 7.5" coil to fit the Scorp(for a small fee):wiggle:Good luck with that.

Default Ground Hog coils vs ADS coils.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Forster View Post
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks! It appears the Ground Hog coil is same type as ADS II. Although the Ground hog is a 4 pin and ADS II is 5 pin. The 5 pin goes to pin 1 and it might be a common ground connection. On the pcb only 4 wires come off connector,two black and two red.I will wait for new coil to ck this out. And...I forgot, when I was cking machine out in all metal mode a quarter bately move the needle up on the meter and sound barely increased, so RX coil might be open. Thanks again!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat
It is an old subject back in 2008, but I wanted to mention and clarify that Charles Garrett told me, that the Ground Hog coils can be used only on the Ground Hog machines, and the ADS coils can be used only on the ADS machines.

The ADS coils, that had 4 pin connector, you can get newer 5 pin connectors from Garrett Electronics, plus the rewire instructions, and change them over, and use them on newer Garrett metal detectors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PennyFinder

Well, here is my report on the little 4.5" round GoldHunter coil after a 11/2 hour hunt in a city park. The first hour was mainly in the wood chips on the tot-lot. The coil has more sounds than the dd coils especially with the hot rocks (pebbles/stones) we have here, reponding with a double blip/ null sound. The elliptcal coils doesn't pick them up! This demonstrates how sensitive this coil really is. My small targets recovered were really small jewelry, (a small silver pendant,clasps,an earring back, match head size non-ferrous bits etc.) The Scorp hit hard on these with a loud piano key sound, whilst giving a null sound on bobbypins.
Disc was set to 5.5 Auto
Nickle coins hit hard as ever.

Ventured out in the grass with the other half hour to do some coin hunting and found $1.73 with ease amongst oodles of trash. One penny was a mint 1947 King George blunt 7, found under a Fir tree at about an inch. Pretty amazed at it's condition for the length of time it was there. Sure is nice those old coins were never all found!
In the zone I was and had stop to pickup "The Ruggus Rattus" from skating! Oh well it stated to rain anyways. As Arnold says "I'll be back" ...for more of those older coins!:clapping:
All in all, the little round 4.5 snuck in close to the monkey bars and recovered coins I missed with a larger coil. Seperation was stellar along with the sensitivity. Can't wait to do some ore testing with it. The little sniper has my vote!:thumbup:

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

Alright!:thumbup:Nice hunt!:detecting:Oh yeah!:yo:Scorpion rocks!:super:Happy Hunting!:)

Here is a "Buy Now" for a 4.5 Goldhunter coil for the Scorpion!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garrett-Metal-Detector-4-5-Crossfire-Goldhunter-Coil_W0QQitemZ220544592213QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33597b6955

PennyFinder