Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How much do gold buyers normally discount?

I stoped by a local dealer the other day and asked what his discount was.Told me $3-4 below spot(?),then proceeded to offer me $50 less than what I should have been offered.I think most will offer 10%-15% under.
Waterbug

Go here:

http://genesiss.kitco.com/scripts/selltokitco/refine_buy_prices.pl

I used to sell to them and now the red message up top. BUT this should give you an ideaof what to expect. If you have a lot you might call them.

I, and quite a few others here, have done business with them. Personally I don't think you'll do better than Midwest.
Jerry

EBAY,Craigslist....you will easly get 2x melt!!!!! or even yard sales/flea market!!! get your self a good scale wiegh up your gold figure out what 3x melt would be..post it in a add let the buyer make you a offer....Which will 99% of the time be at least 2x melt!! everyone walks away happy...the buyers getting a huge break from retail stores...your making out!! the extra cash you make this way is worth the little extra effort!! WE WORK HARD FOR ARE LOOT...WE SHOULD BE THE ONES MAKING THE BIG PROFIT ...NOT MAKING MIDWEST RICH!!!!

[quote BEACH HUNTER]EBAY,Craigslist....you will easly get 2x melt!!!!! or even yard sales/flea market!!! get your self a good scale wiegh up your gold figure out what 3x melt would be..post it in a add let the buyer make you a offer....Which will 99% of the time be at least 2x melt!! everyone walks away happy...the buyers getting a huge break from retail stores...your making out!! the extra cash you make this way is worth the little extra effort!! WE WORK HARD FOR ARE LOOT...WE SHOULD BE THE ONES MAKING THE BIG PROFIT ...NOT MAKING MIDWEST RICH!!!![/quote]

Hey, I agree with BEACH HUNTER if you want to do yard sales and flea markets. Many of us don't so if you're inclined to do that then maybe you'll make more but if not then I still say Midwest is best. But BEACH HUNTER is right about getting a good scale. You need to know exactly how much you have regardless of how you sell it. Sorry if I touched a nerve, BEACH HUNTER.
Jerry

I know alot of you guys hold your gold all season then cash it in....if your gonna sell it any way...post it as you find it then it won't take much time...It's easy to get much more than melt!!!! HH

Hey TJ, BEACH HUNTER'S idea is a good one and I have a few diamond rings, that I may work a similar angle on. It would be great to get about 2-3X the melt value. Maybe I could get a bar 'er 2 outa 'um! The 1st couple of seasons, I just kept everything that I found, for trophies. In early '06, I got to thinking that it would be REALLY sweet if I had .999 fine bars. No more speculation of karat weights and such. Now I can lode my weights of silver and gold and I know on the day, how much my loot is worth. I have sent a few lodes into Midwest, for refining. I take the check that they give me and secure .999 fine silver and gold bars from companies like APMEX, although you can request bars or coins as a settlement option with Midwest. In the event you do not have enough scrap, they will just settle by check though. You will have to have at least 1 pure troy oz., after the assay is completed on yer loot. That way, I still got loot, I'm investing in the precious metals market and I'm still a pirate, savvy? OBTW, when I started the game in '04, silver was around $4 and gold around $400, per troy oz. What have we got now? If you do choose to refine, then Midwest is the best I've found. They pay 94% on gold and 88% on silver. ALSO, BE SURE TO SEND IN SEPARATE KARAT WEIGHTS, OR YOUR ASSAY WILL BE DILUTED. Send in a batch of unmarked and 10K and then, a couple days later, send in a 14K batch and if you have 18K, split that out separately, as well. I will put a couple of my old invoices up there for you to view. More details, than I care to write here, savvy? The upper invoice had a few pieces that my sister wanted to sell, but if you send in a small amount, they do not go through as many steps. Use the Dendritics Precious Metals Calculator, to determine how much your loot is worth, just to give you idea. Jewelry manufacturers will many times have less than the marked karat weight in an item and some loss is seen after the melt, as well, so what you get will be less than what the calculator reflects, even after subtracting the % Midwest keeps. Let us know what you decide to do mate!
[attachment 88980 midwest3.JPG]
[attachment 88981 midwest3.jpg]

I AM NOW KEEPING ALL MY GOOD JEWELERY....TO PLAY WITH...SHOW OFF...... AND USING THE BROKEN SCRAP TO TRADE FOR "BARS"..AND CHOICE COINS!!! ALL MY CLAD I AM NOW SAVING UP ROLLING AND BUYING SILVER BARS,SILVER EAGLES...SOME GOLD BULLION TOO!!! ITS JUST A HUGE AMOUNT OF CASH YOU GUYS ARE GIVING UP!! SORRY IT JUST KILLS ME TO THINK OF TAKING 94% OF THE VALUE...WHEN 200-300% IS POSSIBLE????? I HAVE SAID ENOUGH ON THIS SUBJECT...TO EACH THERE OWN:shrug:

Hey BEACH HUNTER try this you will like it.
http://www.shorinternational.com/refining.htm#Simplicity
http://store.b2bprofessionaltools.com/6350063500-jpg.html