Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How or Why Was a Find Lost?

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--
I was involved in a dialogue with Coin Rescue Inc: concerning the "How or Why" certain finds were lost at a given location. Here is the thread. Have YOU made finds that left you scratching your head?

Hi,
The Mexican coin was found in Michigan. There was an old house and garage that was torn down across the street from some Military housing that was erected for the Air Force in the mid-1950's.
I found this coin close to the garage slab that was left in tact. Maybe 20-30 ft away I found many 1950 coins. several rosey and merc dimes. Many were Wheat Cents. One day I found like :)geek: 1955 cents. Like a pocket spill.
So I thought maybe they were dropped from a roll of pennies. Best I can guess that some service man was down your way and brought it back, then lost it up here.
This is what make thing interesting, putting clues together.
Howdy Coin Rescue Inc:
I've been looking for that similar Mexican coin that you showed me. I know that I dug one a couple of years ago but after 40 years of detecting it could be in any number of containers that I stash my finds in. I'll keep looking. While I was looking for it, I came across a lot of finds that brought back good memories. You mentioned the fun of putting clues together to speculate how certain finds ended up where found. Here are a couple of finds that have intreaged me for years. I had been hunting a military campsite on a Texas trail and the surrounding area for several years. About a quarter mile from the campsite, I discovered the remains of an old dug out ( a dwelling dug in a hill). At that site, I had dug an 1854 Liberty Seated quarter, several eagle buttons and some woman's jewelery. I also dug, in one hole, 22 fired Sharps cartridges and a few feet from the cartridge brass, I dug the Cavalry Officers Sword Belt Plate (1851-1874). About 25 yards from there, I dug the Mexican Plate circa 1847 and in the immediate vicinity several spent percussion caps. These finds sent my imagination in gear. Were they shooting at each other? Reliving anger over the Alamo or the Mexican War? Were they fighting over the woman who lived in the dug out? Or were these 2 finds completley unrelated and they were just having some target practice? I guess that I'll never really know. But it's fun to think about. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• Pecos Plates.jpg
    Pecos Plates.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 79
Yeah, I think anyone that's been with the hobby for any length of time will find a head scratcher or two such as you describe. I once found a 1809 half reale in a old Minnesota, fairgrounds. That's one find that I wish could talk. HH jim tn

BlindSquirrel,
Anyway to attempt to locate what was being fired at? If the Indians were circling the wagons thats gonna be tough, but if the other combatant was hunkered down you might find that easier. Crime scene 101! Physical evidence does not lie……..speculation drives a sane man crazy as does not having an answer. Good luck

Yeah, I think anyone that's been with the hobby for any length of time will find a head scratcher or two such as you describe. I once found a 1809 half reale in a old Minnesota, fairgrounds. That's one find that I wish could talk. HH jim tn
Howdy jim tn--
An old Spanish silver find is definitely a day maker! Congratulations on that find. I'm guessing that you pulled more than one good find from that old fairgrounds. That site surly had some history. I'm sure that you know that the Spanish Reals and other foreign coins were legal tender until the Coinage Act of 1857. They still circulated beyond 1857, especially in the western territories and states. But yes; if some of our finds could talk... And that one I'm sure could tell some stories! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

BlindSquirrel,
Anyway to attempt to locate what was being fired at? If the Indians were circling the wagons thats gonna be tough, but if the other combatant was hunkered down you might find that easier. Crime scene 101! Physical evidence does not lie……..speculation drives a sane man crazy as does not having an answer. Good luck
Howdy Ronstar--
You are correct! I hadn't thought of the Indian attack possibility and that the shooters had a common adversary. Interestingly, the military trail overlaps a Comanche war trail in this area. I agree with you, if I could determine the direction that each of the shots were fired, it would help. The challenge, though, is that the shooting was 150+ years ago and the land has, no doubt, undergone many changes. From what I understand, in the early 1900's there was farming and is now a ranch - cattle, goats, horses. Also, there are several oil leases on the ranch and of course several pump jacks. Ronstar, I don't think that I'll go crazy trying to figure it out. For me, it is just fun that this hobby presents the occasional mystery that will probably go unsolved. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

And that one I'm sure could tell some stories!
At the time, I pretty much chalked it up to possibly a Migrant worker having lost it. Although found about 1991 or 92 with a cz6, back in the 1950's Mexican labor was contracted for by farmers that grew sugar beets over in the Red River Vally, which was not to far away from the fairgrounds and I thought maybe it was lost by one of them that carried it as a keep she of sorts??? Will never know, though! HH jim tn