Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to clean a found pocket knife

I found one recently that was at one time a pretty classy knife. I will be watching this post……

Confused a bit Relicmeister…… wife tells me modge podge is what she uses to glue a puzzle she wants to save (its a glue she wipes over the surface and it glues the pieces into place) ? Also did you mean matte, as in the color shine, or mat like she is suggesting. How does a glue clean and restore (if you know) or is it like Elmy’s Super Secret Sauce!!!! It just does….

I just recently found a buried pocket knife and was wondering how you guys would clean it up ?

I've been experimenting with this product on the fragile iron for a couple years now with good results. These with preserved wood and bone handles from a Civil War camp, after a light wire brush and a heavy coat were done over a year ago and holding tight. Got the product at the auto store.

Attachments

• 20211020_210301.jpg
    20211020_210301.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 81
Ronstar, I’ve been using Matte( low luster) modge podge on all my iron finds. It just works great and is so darn easy to work with. It suspends further rusting well. I use it on some non ferrous like pocket knives too.

When something is really rusty and has a history, it is better to neutralize and leave it as it is, rather than attempting an extreme restoration, at the risk of being lost forever.
A neutralizer, okay.
If the rust is superficial, better steel wool 0000, with oil and patience.
The old will always be old ...