Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

how to contact someone if you want to metal detect at thier location

hellgrammite123

Hello Everyone!

I have a few questions regarding metal detecting. I have a few locations in mind that I would like to metal detect. How would I go about asking permission? Some locations are local parks or private houses. For local parks, I was thinking of maybe email or calling a person that was in charge of the park or maybe the town hall that the park is in. Would that be a good idea or should I go with another approach?

I have a few private houses that I would like to metal detect. How should I go about getting permission? For most of these houses, I do not know the owners. I was thinking of either stopping at their house and asking for permission or sending them a letter in the mail. Would either of these work? Which approach would be better? Do you have any other advice?

Thank you for answering my questions and I really appreciate it.

Matt

there are numerous threads and stickeys about this .........some with sample letters or conversations on different boards

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 try this forum

:usaflag:For city properties I called or emailed the city clerk and asked for permission. They were both very happy that I had asked first. And of course with the assurance that the ground would be left as it was found. Better to get it in writing in case you bump into someone who does'nt think you should be there.

And for private residences I started out by asking friends if I could try it out at their house(s). And eventually through work or just socializing with people I find out who owns what. And you can't be shy either...you just gotta ask. The worst they could tell you is "no"...and I have'nt been told no yet.

I always ask even if its a public park...
city mgr or someone in htat position

as far as private land I just explain what id like to do
and assure the folks ill be carefull fill holes etc etc

Ron

Rangers Lead The Way

If I want to detect private property I go ask face to face. Anyone can write and mail a letter, but a face-to-face, look 'em in the eye meeting goes a whole lot further. The worst they can do is say no, in which case I try to fart at least once in their presence. :rolleyes:

oldcoon said:
If I want to detect private property I go ask face to face. Anyone can write and mail a letter, but a face-to-face, look 'em in the eye meeting goes a whole lot further. The worst they can do is say no, in which case I try to fart at least once in their presence. :rolleyes:

Oh hell, I sometimes fart even if they say yes! LOL!

I contacted the local police deptment about searching the city parks in my town,I was told that there are no laws against searching the parks. I would like to know who it is I would ask about searching the schools in the area. maybe I'll go by the police dept again.

For a public school, just go detect. Some people make me wonder. If its a PUBLIC place, then use it if there are no laws against it. Don't go asking permission, that just gives them cause to want to write up an ordinance prohibiting it.

I have asked some neighboring towns about detecting their parks. One city told me that I cant do unsupervised detecting and if I did then the city would own everything I find. I asked another city if I can detect a beach along a river and they said that they dont allow it. They tell detectors to stop detecting once they are spotted. Also, they were glad I asked first.

Detecting private houses looks like the way to go at the moment. There are some old stone houses and farm houses in the area and i will ask for permission to detect them.

Matt