Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to determine settings for max depth with PI

otlew

So here is what drives my question. I have a site in mind that was at one time, a major weekend beach dating back to the early 1900's. At its peak over 30,000 people visited in a single weekend. It has not been to my knowledge water hunted to any extent, as it has been many years since sandy beaches have existed in this location. The beaches were extinct long before the technology existed to search the water.

If anything is there it will be deep, I will be using a Sea Hunter Mark II and the bottom is going will be a thin layer of sand/silt over packed clay. How can determine the best setting to get the maximum depth. How much depth from this machine can I expect given the stated conditions?

Any help will be appreciated.

Hey otlew, the targets should not be past the "packed clay". Set the Mark II to 0 Discrimination/Elimination, Threshold barely audible and Standard Trash Elimination. You run the risk of losing some fine gold setting alternately, but you WILL get it ALL, IF the "packed clay is not too far beneath the "sand/silt" layer. You could probably expect depth ranges 8"-12" reasonably from that unit. I hunted them exclusively from mid '04 into '06.

Thanks for you response. I will use the setting you have listed. My partner and I plan to hunt the area mid-week and I will let you know how we did.