Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to find brass water valves 5 - 19 inches deep in sand

Waterman7

Would you please provide me with a step by step method of using the bounty Hunter Land Star which I bought to detect brass water valves in sand approx 5 to 19 inches deep. The valves, looking from the top, are 2 1/4 inches long, and 1 1/2 inches wide. The valves have a 2 1/2 inch diameter handle to turn the valve made of pot metal. This handle is perorated. I am a volunteer water department person that needs to be able to locate these valves to turn resident's water off at the street. So far I have not had any luck. Thank you.

Hello Waterman.

I 'd suggest : no-motion all-metal, automatic ground balance and possibly the 10" coil (19" depth seems a little bit out of range for the 8" standard coil, but one never knows). The key in no-motion is a good set of headphones and slow scanning.

Good Luck !

Nick the Belgian :wave:

I agree...Get the 10" coil, and set the sensitivity as high as you can without it chattering constantly, and hunt in All-Metal no motion mode. In DISC mode, those valves should show up anywhere from Zinc to about 50 cents on the LCD, and give a high tone. 19 inches is a bit much for a detector, but those valves are sort of large, so you never know...Also, there ARE professional pin-point type detectors made for just the purpose your looking for...very expensive, but might do better than a normal detector...

Hope this helps,

Thank you for the reply - I'm looking now for the 10" coil, and some headphones... Right now most of the valves are less than 19", so I'm using a combination of the Land Star plus a probe I made up with a 9/16" ball bearing on the tip to find the water lines and valves. So far, I've found 5 out of 7... The two I didn't get are embarassing ! I need a lot more practice with the unit, though.