Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to fit a coil cover on a 4x6 shooter coil?

Wayfarer

I recently bought a new White's 4x6 Shooter coil for my V3i and MXT. I never bothered with a coil cover on my old shooter coil, but for this new one I treated it to a coil over to keep it looking new. The coil cover slips loosely over the coil but doesn't 'snap' into place like all the other White's coil covers do. I bought a second coil cover thinking the first one was defective, and it too just loosely slips over the coil. There doesn't seem to be any way to keep the cover in place except for using liberal amounts of glue, which kind of defeats the purpose of having the cover in the first place. What is the best way to fit this cover to the little 4x6 Shooter? Thanks.

Hey Darren

Run some masking tape around the edge of the coil, it works for me.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try, and if that doesn't work, maybe I'll put a bead of silicone around the edge.

Still waiting for the next big thing from White's, but in the meantime, still enjoying my V3i and MXT. :)

Hope you are well!

Darren

I was thinking of the stick on weatherstripping. BTW- how do you like the coil? I'm torn between it and the concentric.

I like the shooter coil a lot. It's my go to coil for extreme trashy areas where even the 5.3 is a little too big, or working around metal posts or chain link fences. But for normal high trash areas, I usually prefer the slightly larger 5.3 concentric. My soil here in Boise isn't too mineralized. Also, the 5.3 has a round cone-shaped detection pattern that helps me better visualize what is going on under the surface. But the shooter is no doubt the best for picking through extreme trash where even the 5.3 is too large. When I go detecting, I usually bring 3-4 coils with me, attached to lower rods, so that I can pick the best one for the job. The 9" Spider concentric, the 6x10 DD, the 5.3 Eclipse, and the 4x6 Shooter. I usually start with the 9" Spider and work down from there as I get into the trash. Most times the 5.3 is as small as I need to go, but it's nice to have the 4x6 Shooter when conditions dictate.

Darren,

I think you misunderstood my method...just wrap masking tape around the edge of the coil to make it bigger...then slip the cover on. It is easy to remove unlike silicone.

Ah, yes, I did misunderstand. Got it now. Thanks for the clarification. That's a great idea! When I get home from work I'm going to give your method a shot.