Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to have a great day..

slingshot

Was out with my MX5 when I noticed a young man with diggers in hand while his mother was sweeping the immediately recognizable "muffler on a stick"(Tracker IV). Approaching them, I found out HE got the detector for Christmas!:rofl: It was obvious they were getting many signals from the constant chirping of the speaker. I minded my own business until the mother approached me and sure enough they were in all metal and hadn't read the instruction manual!:surrender: I politely asked if they knew they had some target tone ID capabilities which immediately perked them up as the son had just told me he found a large piece of wire at nearly a foot! To make it simple, ( they should put THIS in the manual!) I took a nickel, placed it in TONE, and began rotating the Disc control to the right until it was a pure low tone. I then took out a quarter and showed them how it gave a low tone for a nickel and a high tone for a quarter. They were ecstatic! Their enthusiasm grew as I passed iron under the coil-nothing! Then they could hear the mixed tones together for a pulltab! I turned off my $500 detector- my day was made! Maybe the son will even get to use HIS detector!:lmfao:

It's people like you that make someone's day Great ! ..............:thumbup:

Nice job slingshot, I had a great day just reading you had a great day....and why.:thumb up: HH jim tn

funny story. Thanx for sharing.

I wonder how many people give up on detecting early on just because they don't really know how their new toy works and they get frustrated. Thanks for sharing.

Slingshot....

I got a good chuckle out of your story. Thanks for a good start to my day...LOL

dfmike said:
I wonder how many people give up on detecting early on just because they don't really know how their new toy works and they get frustrated. Thanks for sharing.
So true. I even had a detector given to me (an oldie) for that reason. Another sad part is how many sites are off limits because of recovery methods of some who buy a detector on whim- and never feel the consequences.

I had a similar story back long time ago (1974) while I was detecting a very old park in Fargo,ND , I was detecting when I seen this young kid probably 8 or 9 swinging a detector like mine ( coinmaster 3) so had to walk over and talk to him. He said it was his dad detector and couldn't find anything with it so he gave it to his son to use. After looking at his settings I told him he wouldn't any thing the way it was set up and showed him with some of the coins I had found when I swung the detector over them. I set it up like mine and showed him how it worked and even found a couple of coins with it, so I showed him it worked.
Next time I seen him the next day he was doing good with it, but the next day I seen him with no detector so I had to ask him where his detector was and said when he showed his dad what he was finding and how to set it up his dad took the detector back as he was going to use it. Told the young fellow that his dad needed to buy another one for him to use to enjoy this great hobby.
This was before many pullabs were around and this is when we found more gold rings too, the year before my detector didn't have disc and found the most gold rings with.

Rick

Rick(ND) said:
I had a similar story back long time ago (1974) while I was detecting a very old park in Fargo,ND , I was detecting when I seen this young kid probably 8 or 9 swinging a detector like mine ( coinmaster 3) so had to walk over and talk to him. He said it was his dad detector and couldn't find anything with it so he gave it to his son to use. After looking at his settings I told him he wouldn't any thing the way it was set up and showed him with some of the coins I had found when I swung the detector over them. I set it up like mine and showed him how it worked and even found a couple of coins with it, so I showed him it worked.
Next time I seen him the next day he was doing good with it, but the next day I seen him with no detector so I had to ask him where his detector was and said when he showed his dad what he was finding and how to set it up his dad took the detector back as he was going to use it. Told the young fellow that his dad needed to buy another one for him to use to enjoy this great hobby.
This was before many pullabs were around and this is when we found more gold rings too, the year before my detector didn't have disc and found the most gold rings with.

Rick
Have to overlook the grown up kids!!:crylol: