Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to hunt overgrown places??

A

Anonymous

I started trying to find where schools and old racetracks used to be. Is there any thing that one can do to get the goodies out of tall grass and plowed fields, I got a few wheaties and an 1889 indian, on the schools that I knew exactly where they where.(They were mowed well or were still standing). The one had 12" and 6" grass, The 6 yeilded three 40s and one 30s wheaties, should I mow it or what?? thanks, HH

Yes, if you can get a weed wacker back there then do it. Just make sure it not going to harm anything when you do, don't create an eye sore or destroy wildlife habitat, you'd be surprised what lives in them tall weeds.
Winter usually kills off enough weeds to make do for hunting, I guess that also depends on how close you are to the Equator.
Plowed fields shouldn't be a problem, many of the goodies could be sitting right on top. But if the field has grass feed and the farmer doesn't care if you hunt it(he probably will care if it's feed) then you have to hunt moving side ways sweeping over the grass you have flattened as you move along, that's tedious hunting though. Wait until it's freshly plowed, that's your best bet.
Oh, and of course a 5" coil makes getting in any tight spots much easier.
GL/HH

If you don't want to mow it... wait til after the winter snows pack the grass and weeds closer to the ground and kill off most of it. Or pray for a brush fire..... HH, Mike.

Hi Jeff,
I've heard of people using pieces of plywood
in weedy areas. Laying them down and then finding
the signal under them. I've also heard of using
pieces of plexiglass so you can see where the
signal is coming from. Never tried this myself
so don't know if it works very good.
HH Slay