Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to ID bottle caps with Gold Bug Pro/DP

Badger in NH

The Gold Bug Pro/DP is an excellent machine for hunting the dry sand at the beach but steel bottle caps can be a problem because they ID and sound just like a coin or ring.

This has probably already been discovered by many but I haven't seen it posted before.

Here's how to identify steel bottle caps almost every time. I'm using the 11" coil. I haven't yet tried it with the 5".

When you come appon what appears to be a good target, back up a step and approach the target slowly with the coil. Stop at the point where you first hear the signal or where the edge of the coil hits the edge of the target. If the ID says iron, the target is more than likely a bottle cap or something ferrous. As you move directly over a steel bottle cap, it will ID in the non ferrous range, but as you back off it will ID as iron around the edges.

You will find that non ferrous objects like coins and rings will not ID as iron around the edges in this way.

The technique works in all metal as well as discriminate. I think it's a more accurate way than tipping the coil on it's side like post above mentions.

I only just discovered this this morning at the beach but it seems to work every time. I dug about two dozen bottle caps and ID'd each one correctly just to be sure. Now with this technique I no longer have to dig them.

Try it and tell me if it doesn't work for you. It may be common knowledge to some but it's a new discovery to me.

sgoss66 said:
Badger -- this is a good tip, but it doesn't work with all caps. I have found some that don't behave as you described, although some do...

Thanks!

Steve

I should have mentioned that possability. I was digging mostly beer caps. Some responded better than others.

If you find any caps that refuse to respond to the technique make a note of what kind they are. I would like to know. I'll be on the look out as well.

Badger

There-in lies the problem----b.c.'s, (a little similar) to p.t.'s come in MANY styles to delight the detectorist!----I'm sure the way the things (b.c.'s) lay in the ground (orientation in the ground), ground minerals, etc. all play a part in the p.i.t.b. ID problem also.
sgoss66 said:
Badger -- this is a good tip, but it doesn't work with all caps. I have found some that don't behave as you described, although some do...

Thanks!

Steve

D&P-OR said:
There-in lies the problem----b.c.'s, (a little similar) to p.t.'s come in MANY styles to delight the detectorist!----I'm sure the way the things (b.c.'s) lay in the ground (orientation in the ground), ground minerals, etc. all play a part in the p.i.t.b. ID problem also.
sgoss66 said:

Thanks!

Steve

Pull tabs always ID as ferrous. You should be digging all pulltabs. It doesn't matter what shape or style they are.

Bottle caps are steel but they all basically have the same shape which causes the detecor to mistake it for ferrous. The technique allows us to identify the iron content in the steel. I believe this works on most cap brands but there may be a couple of companies that add alloys to the steel making them react differently.

I dug quite a variety of cap brands this morning. I was very happy with the results using the technique.

The other thing that works well is circling the target and watching the vdi If it jumps as you circle good chance its a bottle cap.
For some reason the one that get me most the time anymore are upside down and flat.

godigit

Badger in NH said:
D&P-OR said:
sgoss66 said:

Thanks!

Steve

Pull tabs always ID as ferrous. You should be digging all pulltabs. It doesn't matter what shape or style they are.

Bottle caps are steel but they all basically have the same shape which causes the detecor to mistake it for ferrous. The technique allows us to identify the iron content in the steel. I believe this works on most cap brands but there may be a couple of companies that add alloys to the steel making them react differently.

I dug quite a variety of cap brands this morning. I was very happy with the results using the technique.

Pulltabs alway ID as NON ferrous on my detectors

I found that same thing , glad to hear Its not just me , even when its 100f ht i ask is it just me or is it hot out hear