Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to make a headphone adapter

Johnho

I give up waiting for Garrett to release the adapter and want to make my own. Having messed up lots of things over time I need to ask someone to walk me through the steps to do this. I assume there are only two wires in the supplied cord. It seems all I need to do is cut off the plug and leave myself enough cord to solder the wires from that to a new plug. Is there a recommended plug for this such that it is somewhat waterproof from rain? Is it really this simple? Thanks.

John

Don't know of any water adapters I bought my female plug from Radio Shack. There are 3 wires.
Put the white to the tip and ring.. red is dead...not hooked to nothing....

hope this help's.( Compliments of Kieth Southern)

Works fine. I taped mine under the control box. Somewhat water proof if not submersed.

Dalpal

Thanks for the instructions, I assume that what you are saying is to solder the other wire, not the red, to the ring. I am really not interested in making this a completely waterproof connection as I don't intent do submerge it, only make it waterproof to rain.

Hey Friends,
This sounds more confusing than it is or am I missing something? There are three wires, correct? The red is dead, so is there two white or a black and white? Are you attaching one white to the collar and the other white to the tip or does one white wire somehow go to both the tip and the ring? And if there are two white then which goes where? I have not tried to cut my plug for the headphones yet but when or if I do I got to know what I have to do. It seems funny if there are three wires and all you talk about is that the red is dead and the white goes to the tip and the collar. It seems that your missing a wire somewhere, I can see one red, one black, and one white but two white and one red? I guess maybe some can clear this up if they have a picture or complete explanations on what you mean. I know I'm probably just having a brain fart but you talk about three wires and only explain how to attach one white and you say the red goes no where? Maybe you can explain this better in steps or like I said a pic or two. HH, Woodstock

There is a red, black and white wire. I attached the black wire to the sleeve. The "one" white wire was stripped long enough so it can be soldered to the tip and the ring. I cut the red wire short. It works fine with my Koss headphones.

Hey Dalpal, Thanks for putting a bandage on my brain blister ! Now I understand. If I do this to mine I might make the cable long enough to keep it out of the water with a clip to attach it somewhere where I know it won't get under water. I can always wrap the excess around the upper rod when I'm not in the water. I've also seen a pretty reliable set up involving two rubber plugs and a clear plastic tube that can enclose the plugs if I go with a shorter cable. I used to use one someone else made, and it's clear tubing so you can see if it stays water tight and it did for me. I guess being in shallow submersion there not enough water pressure for water to get in if the plugs fit tight, but this has to be made and put on before. All you have to do is go to your local hardware store and find two hard rubber plugs that fit snug in the clear tubing about four inches long. It's common water tubing and comes in all sizes, just make sure your male and female plugs will fit. Then drill both plugs a bit undersized to the cables. Put one plug on each cable side, then adjust one plug to fit the tube and silicone them in place. When you want to use the tube just push on one side and push in tube on, and plug your head phones in and push the headphone plug into the other side of the tube. If might take a bit of tweaking to get a perfect fit but it works pretty good and can add extra waterproof protection as well. If I do this I'll post pic's for everyone both of the adapter and the waterproof tube to enclose the adapter plug. Thanks again for all your help. Happy Trails and Hunting, Woodstock