Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to reduce the drag of a water detector

kaolinwasher

A round shaft creates turbulence and drag when swinging thru water , this tires out the detectorist, but the answer swims buy him in the water , coils with openings and 90 degree angles create more turbulence under water this creates more resistance . so shy not make the shaft like a sharks tail feathering to a sharp point so you can swing the shaft and coil thru the water with ease from left to right , and the coil should be like a stingray , no openings but feathered out on the edge, hope you can understand my crude drawing , it would help that shaft and coil just glide thru the water

Attachments

• 20220826_151035.jpg
    20220826_151035.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 142
In shallow water it shouldn't bother you much, and you won't feel much of an improvement by making a "racing" shaft. In deeper water – just collapse it (to reduce the leverage) and go snorkeling.

Surf action on a solid coil is the pits! The original ATX had a solid skid plate. I had to cut out the center sections to keep it parallel with the ocean's bottom.
The Stork Leg may help you with the shaft's drag.

I use my 6” coil only in the water because of the drag it’s a easy solution for me .
Matk

Chuck has made a thinner shaft for the excal that is noticeably easier to swing through the water.

Chuck has made a thinner shaft for the excal that is noticeably easier to swing through the water.
Thanks for that link. I may do that shaft for my old sword model. The sword is mounted on a metal straight shaft (my other Excals are on carbon fiber straight shafts). The pinpoint modification button switch failed on the sword so I need to rework it and that would be a great time to put it on a new shaft.

Reactions: cw3
Really. I'm 76 years old and have no problem water hunting for 6 or 7 hours. Hunting in the dry sand is another story.

Really. I'm 76 years old and have no problem water hunting for 6 or 7 hours. Hunting in the dry sand is another story.
Congratulations

I use one of the owl shafts, cuts thru the water much better, light and strong.

Attachments

• SNAG.jpg
    SNAG.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 118