Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to take advantage of this drought..

magic

This summer hasn't been the best for detectorist because of the drought and the extreme heat. So how can you use the conditions we are all in to your advantage?
Do you have a spot that is iron infested? A place that usually you have to pick through square nails and pieces of small junk but still seem to find a good coin once in a while.
Well, now is the time to be hitting that spot! We all know what the halo effect is. This is when the metal object in the ground is breaking down and leaching into the surrounding ground due to oxidation. With the ground being so dry, the halo effect of iron and other junk metals will be very low, thus unmasking the good targets that have been missed before. It is said that 90% of what we look for is either out of range of our detectors or mask but junk metal in the ground. With this in mind, the halo effect of junk metal will be a lot lower because of the lack of moisture in the ground. Without this normaly occurring condition happening (because of drought conditions) the chances of you finding a good target that is usually mask is greatly increased.

So if you have one of those iron infested spots that has produced in the past, now is the time to go over it again, slowly and using a small coil and chances are, you will get good results for your efforts.

That is a great tip Magic. Thank you.

Hi Magic
You are correct but what I find better is to always dig every signal every time I am out to start with. I clean out the area just to make sure that I have not missed anything. I just found a complete Union spur under a bunch of horse harness iron hardware and it was perfect.
Dave