Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Howdy ya'll.........

Gulf Hunter

I am an experienced user of Excals, but am totally afoot on the Explorer in all capacities, do not even own one yet. May consider building or having one built, for surf hunting. My question for you users out there is, does the SE model have huntable pinpoint mode?

It uses a DD coil that most PP off the tip. Some have trouble going from concentric to DD. Man i dont know if you can replace an Excal for surf hunting. If you were saying does the Explorer allow you to turn on pinpoint and just hunt with that kind of like a PI... id say no. It starts getting louder and louder and has a tendency to lock on to iron close to good targets expecially deep targets. It does however have AM... with CONST meaning all targets sound the same. What im not certain of is ... when in CONST is that tone being PROCESSED. That would make a heck of a difference in depth if its not. That would mean DC side of coil is being used and YES simluar to PP.

Dew

Hey stranger! :) The SE has a VCO pinpoint that would be very well suited for the water, although on my machine it doesn't seem to get the depth that discrimination mode gets. I've actually learned to hunt without it as the discrimination mode/sounds pinpoints better than the pinpoint mode. That's just me though, everyone has different styles and opinions. If you want to meet up and give mine a try, let me know.

When I get up there I will bring my and let you try it out, I think you will like the pin point on it it's like the Excal we use. I think Joe built one for water. I just wonder how he rigged it up to use the pin point mode in a water proof box!

Thank you all for your input, the project has been scrapped, as I'm unable to obtain or build a submersible. I have no use for a non-submersible unit.

I take it that , when you ask whether the SE model has a huntable pinpoint mode, you're asking how good it is without having to revert to the on board PINPOINT? Is that right? Just making sure.

In the water, I can be done , it's tricky with the bigger coils but fine with the stock or smaller. I've even used the coiltek platypus and the original SE stock coil.Works fine.

I sold my Excal to a friend a little while back. It's both an awesome water and land hunting detector, but when my submersible Explorer's worked, they where the best......for me atleast. It could argued that , just maybe I did not appreciate Excal BUT most others that have used the Explorer for water detecting would agree that they seem to be a little more capable. That's only if the converted Explorer is functioning correctly in that conversion.

One day soon, I hoping to at least make a start on another water submersible unit out of my Explorer SE.
Did so with two other Explorers XS's.( one I put back to original and the other is dead(oh the memories....sniff...sniff and the money I wasted).
It's never going to be as complex and slick-an-assembly/effort as Charles(NY), Beachcomber's or a couple of others I've seen on here over the years, BUT I have simplified what I intend to do with my next project.

K.I.S.S. and using a "be REALLY careful approach" this time will prevail.

I might just keep it even more basic and encase the whole upper control box assembly in a water proof back back or the sorts and use just about any search coil and shaft assembly I can put together and I may try and use the SE without the pinpoint and rely on NOT having to engage pinpoint mode(maybe use a handheld pin-pointer to help or least build one into the bottom of my sand scoop.

If I ever go ahead with another converted unit, I would like to again, water proof it and chest-mount it viewing the screen at the position on the body like this one I did a few years back does help a lot BUT is not absolutely necessary.

[attachment 130972 variouspics027.jpg]

Converting and Explorer like this means dismantling the control box off the upper shaft and doing some rewiring and creating another water proof power source( pretty easy to do) and integrate the remote located thumb or finger activated PINPOINT button on the handle of course. It can be done. All that you need to do is trace where the external PINPOINT button wires have to be connected to on the second pcb of the Explorer's electronics. Risky, sort of, but I found it was worth it. The green and yellow wires extend the PINPOINT to a remote button. You can still use the original on board control panel button in unison. The orange wire , you may see, is one of my repairs(disregard).

WOW David you are WAY over my head, LOL! I was asked by another hunter to ask that question. Like I said, I am clueless on the Explorers, worse than a newby, savvy? I don't open control housings either, I leave that part to Minelab. Thanks for the input though and let us know, if you pull the trigger on the submersible.