Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunt by tone ?

Nope don't have a sovereign, most of the time I am using a Pulse detector to battle the heavy magnetite, I am in the market for a different PI, so I am keeping an eye on the Axiom and what ever Nokta/Macro comes out with in pulse Tech have read to many bad things about the Mine lab 6000, have a GM 1000 gold monster that does ok but it is still a fight with the magnetite currently using the Whites TDI special edition or was I have recently sold it in preparation for my next pulse detector so I am down to VLFs currently and the legend seems to handle it better then the others I have at the moment, have also been thinking about the Whites GM 24k which is now the Garrets 24k but have not picked up one as of yet, I have read some really great things about the GM 24k, trying to work a trade deal for a Garrett or whites 24k but have had no success as of yet
I'm surprised what your finding on the 6000.
I've been watching quite a few running it on Australian red iron cap rock.
Finding the tiniest nuggets.
I was looking at the 2300 fir the small stuff.
Now I'm seriously looking at the 6000.
My Sovereign GT I had purchased for my dad in Alaska. Sadly he passed before he learned it.

I'm surprised what your finding on the 6000.
I've been watching quite a few running it on Australian red iron cap rock.
Finding the tiniest nuggets.
I was looking at the 2300 fir the small stuff.
Now I'm seriously looking at the 6000.
My Sovereign GT I had purchased for my dad in Alaska. Sadly he passed before he learned it.
you need to go to the Detector Prospector forum and read what is being said there is a bunch of issues with the 6000 that minelab has been keeping hush hush and they just finally are coming out

Nope don't have a sovereign, most of the time I am using a Pulse detector to battle the heavy magnetite, I am in the market for a different PI, so I am keeping an eye on the Axiom and what ever Nokta/Macro comes out with in pulse Tech have read to many bad things about the Mine lab 6000, have a GM 1000 gold monster that does ok but it is still a fight with the magnetite currently using the Whites TDI special edition or was I have recently sold it in preparation for my next pulse detector so I am down to VLFs currently and the legend seems to handle it better then the others I have at the moment, have also been thinking about the Whites GM 24k which is now the Garrets 24k but have not picked up one as of yet, I have read some really great things about the GM 24k, trying to work a trade deal for a Garrett or whites 24k but have had no success as of yet
You might want to take a good look at an xp orx…….They’re cheaper than a Deus, and have a gold program, and also run high freq coils that go up to 81 khz…..If I didn’t beach hunt, this is a machine that I was seriously looking at !

Last edited:
Ok you guys that are tone hunters, and don’t rely on vid……I’ve been detecting for years, and narrowed my collection of detectors down to about a dozen or so….Back when analog machines were prominent, it was much easier to hunt by ear….Nuances were also a big part of target evaluation…You could tell if a coin was on edge, and other differences in tone like the sweet, smooth sound of Silver….Some of the newer digital machines were ok in regards to tone, but the vdi scale was broad, and there was a ton of adjustments, and aides to help identifying a target….

Today I find myself older, and not wanting to use the older machines because of the weight Of these machines ( and the weight of me too ! )…. I’m thinking that the old proverb holds true here “the hurrier we go, the behinder we get”…..So now we have narrower vdi scales, and multiple tones and ways to adjust them, but STILL have different targets that sound the same !….I think that we might as well be hunting with a Tesoro….About the only distinction that I am hearing is the softer, more quiet, tone of a deeper target….Pennies coming in sounding and vdi’ing the same ? WTF ?…..One poster mentioned that he dug everything over 40…That’s really a fair statement ….If you can’t distinguish by nuances in the tone, and vdi numbers are ganged together, you’re left digging everything!….

You guys digging by tones, what are you hearing in nuances of the tone that I’m not hearing ? My hearing is not as good as it use to be, but it’s not that bad, and my ear buds are pretty definitive with tone and plenty of volume…Tell me the differences in tones, and nuances in the older machines, and I’m right there with you !..
I don’t get it with the Legend….It’s a lighter machine, and has some nice features like Bluetooth and rechargeable batteries, but there’s very little in tones, nuances, or vdi scale that’s helping me identifying the target…Tell me what I’m not hearing or seeing … Teach me oh wise compadres !
Well thats my story basically. Never liked VDI probably never will. I only use the screen to see the settings other than that depending on the beep i dig.
The Tesoros were actually my favorite and when i got back into the hobby sad to see they were gone as it was the first detector i was looking to buy.
The legend though caught my eye as it had all the features i wish my Tesoro’s had. Light which the tesoro was already but waterproof was a big one. Looked at equinoxes but the leaks turned me off.
Choice of frequencies was the other big one. Not only 5 to choose but run either smf or vlf. Not a big fan of permanent internal batteries but the option for the external spare took care of that,
So I’m basically using it like an upgraded waterproof Tesoro. Keeping it simple even with tones. We have gotten so spoiled with technology that it has actually made people less happy having more. The real young wouldn’t even understand.
Back in the old days, 10 years ago lol you got a nice new SINGLE tone Tesoro and it worked great, you learned what it was telling you. Nobody ever complained unless it completely broke. Imagine that.
People still praise them.
The more you give someone the more they have to complain. Whats the phrase, KISS.

When it comes to tones, YES,the tesoro was a more telling detector !….I had a few of them, and just sold a vaquero…Selling that one was a mistake….You had to thumb the discrimination knob to know your target, but the nuances/crackly,smooth, etc were much more telling….Size ? Yes….You can hear that on any of the detectors…….same with “lock on” target…..I guess the vdi scale in conjunction with understated or lack of nuances has left me wanting….I’m spoiled by the machines that I already own…
There's a Vaquero on the market post.

you need to go to the Detector Prospector forum and read what is being said there is a bunch of issues with the 6000 that minelab has been keeping hush hush and they just finally are coming out
I read the post's there.
Seems the biggest issue is the speaker.
The girl on
Outback gold fever. YoTub
Only issue sice getting it in June was the speaker.
And once she learned to set it. Different from her 5000 and 7000.
She's loving it. And that 6000 finds sub grain nuggets in the worlds tougher soul.
I'm pretty much sold. Just waiting for retirement.

There's a Vaquero on the market post.
I thought about it originally, actually a cibola that were still new in box but with shipping it was about $600-$700. Double what I originally paid years ago new.
No warranty, company out of business then saw the legend for same money more features, warranty it was an easy decision

I read the post's there.
The girl on
She's loving it. And that 6000 finds sub grain nuggets in the worlds tougher soul.
There is more than just the speaker on the 6000 many more issues then what you read I have been following on Detector Prospector forums and you have only read about one issue, as I stated there are many many more from speaker to stability issues, EMI issues and some others I cannot recall

I read the post's there.
The girl on
read this post over there

There is more than just the speaker on the 6000 many more issues then what you read I have been following on Detector Prospector forums and you have only read about one issue, as I stated there are many many more from speaker to stability issues, EMI issues and some others I cannot recall
To a previous point, is there a detector that nobody ever complained about anything or never had one issue?
Should start a “ have you ever had a perfect detector “ thread.
I’ve actually had one that was pretty close for me and that was the Vaquero.
The only “complaint” is it wasn’t waterproof. But then again not alot to a analog beep and dig machine.
If thats your thing it is,was a great detector.
So far the legend is running a close second, time will tell.
Imo if you use it as an advanced beep and dig so far it can’t be beat especially considering the price.

What part of the world are hitting ground that hot ?

To a previous point, is there a detector that nobody ever complained about anything or never had one issue?
Should start a “ have you ever had a perfect detector “ thread.
I’ve actually had one that was pretty close for me and that was the Vaquero.
The only “complaint” is it wasn’t waterproof. But then again not alot to a analog beep and dig machine.
If thats your thing it is,was a great detector.
So far the legend is running a close second, time will tell.
Imo if you use it as an advanced beep and dig so far it can’t be beat especially considering the price.
to answer your question yes I have had an almost perfect detector it was the Minelab Xterra 705 even though I have purchased the Legend the Xterra 705 is still my favorite detector

if your comment is because i attached a conversation from another forum about the Minelab 6000 I think people have a rite to complain about a detector that they paid almost or over $6000 for if there are issues with it, that is a lot of dough to fork out for a detector and then have a manufacturer of said detector try to cover up the issues it is the same with the nox they pretty much swept the problems with the nox under the bed and still to this day minelab does not own up to the fact that the nox was a bad build, as far as leaking and bad shaft, who in the heck wants to pay $1000 for a defector like the nox only to have to turn around and spend another $150 on a shaft to fix something Mine-lab should have fixed and then the water leakage issue is another problem that should have never happened on a supposedly water proof detector, coil ear breakage is another issue, as much as I loved my Xterra 705 I still could not bring myself to purchase a nox because of all the issues the nox had now these Mine lab 6000 issues, that just so happens to be more then a speaker issue as mine lab tried to lead people to believe, at least with the 6000 they are finally owning up to the fact there are issues with it, would I ever purchase another Minelab product I would have to give that some serious thinking before I would ever make a purchase, because to me they(Minelab is not a company that cares about its customer base), the GM 1000 that is a detector I purchased also when they first hit the U.S it was another detector that the first ones to come into the U.S had issues with the tracking ground balance they never let any of us know anything about that issue, I found out about that issue a couple weeks ago from a dealer that sells all mine lab products, so yes to me when someone has spent $6000 on a gold detector and it has issues they have a right to complain

Hopefully by time I retire.
They'll have the bug's worked out.

I guess what gets me is that nowadays most are selfish, greedy and all about what they can get away with. Nobody wants to own it. If Im wrong or do something wrong i will own it.
Seems like ML and some of the fans always had a problem owning it. Maybe enough pressure has finally hit because of the prices they charge that it even became too much for some of the fans to bear.
Maybe also explains the extraordinary high prices that you hear is attributed to
“R&D”, “technology”, etc. could be towards generating extra revenue for future repairs they knew they would potentially have to face. They did seem to have a big price jump last few years. The excal i paid $1250 for brand new has had no charges at all and jumped up to $1600 now. Did the part’s to make it really go up 30%, $400 ? It probably only cost in reality less than $200 in actual parts originally. Hard to think it costs $600 in parts now to make. I could be wrong and the profit margin is less than $1,000.
No matter how you look at it doesn’t look good. If the profit margin is only $500 per unit on 20 year old ? technology, than it costs $1,100 in parts to make ?

You might want to take a good look at an xp orx…….They’re cheaper than a Deus, and have a gold program, and also run high freq coils that go up to 81 khz…..If I didn’t beach hunt, this is a machine that I was seriously looking at !
have thought about getting an ORX but rite now i am selling a few things to purchase another Pulse Detector which I am looking at the Axiom pretty hard also kind of waiting on Nokta/Macros Pulse machine, the ground I am on would be a perfect testing ground for one of those two detectors hint hint Nokta/Macro LOL, I have 4 Banjos I am trying to sell to purchase a Pulse Induction detector

to answer your question yes I have had an almost perfect detector it was the Minelab Xterra 705 even though I have purchased the Legend the Xterra 705 is still my favorite detector

if your comment is because i attached a conversation from another forum about the Minelab 6000 I think people have a rite to complain about a detector that they paid almost or over $6000 for if there are issues with it, that is a lot of dough to fork out for a detector and then have a manufacturer of said detector try to cover up the issues it is the same with the nox they pretty much swept the problems with the nox under the bed and still to this day minelab does not own up to the fact that the nox was a bad build, as far as leaking and bad shaft, who in the heck wants to pay $1000 for a defector like the nox only to have to turn around and spend another $150 on a shaft to fix something Mine-lab should have fixed and then the water leakage issue is another problem that should have never happened on a supposedly water proof detector, coil ear breakage is another issue, as much as I loved my Xterra 705 I still could not bring myself to purchase a nox because of all the issues the nox had now these Mine lab 6000 issues, that just so happens to be more then a speaker issue as mine lab tried to lead people to believe, at least with the 6000 they are finally owning up to the fact there are issues with it, would I ever purchase another Minelab product I would have to give that some serious thinking before I would ever make a purchase, because to me they(Minelab is not a company that cares about its customer base), the GM 1000 that is a detector I purchased also when they first hit the U.S it was another detector that the first ones to come into the U.S had issues with the tracking ground balance they never let any of us know anything about that issue, I found out about that issue a couple weeks ago from a dealer that sells all mine lab products, so yes to me when someone has spent $6000 on a gold detector and it has issues they have a right to complain
I had the xterra 705 for a very short period I just didn’t jive with it. Maybe because it was red and i liked the blue 505 lol. In all seriousness I thought the Xterra’s were good and I wanted to like them i just couldn’t get used to the ergonomics. Something about the plastic touch screen felt cheap to me, was hard to see and it just seemed very unstable in my very neutral soil. I didn’t keep it long enough to really figure it out.
Again it seemed alot of money considering the build. I always thought the plastic buttons would eventually easily wear through and i did see where that did happen.

I had the xterra 705 for a very short period I just didn’t jive with it. Maybe because it was red and i liked the blue 505 lol. In all seriousness I thought the Xterra’s were good and I wanted to like them i just couldn’t get used to the ergonomics. Something about the plastic touch screen felt cheap to me, was hard to see and it just seemed very unstable in my very neutral soil. I didn’t keep it long enough to really figure it out.
Again it seemed alot of money considering the build. I always thought the plastic buttons would eventually easily wear through and i did see where that did happen.
My 705 and every 705 I ever seen was not Red they were Blue the Xterra 305 and 505 were both Red, it took me almost 2 years to mesh with the 705 there was times I wanted to wrap the 705 around a tree but I stuck with it and then one day the light bulb turned on and I have loved it ever since, the AT Pro is the one I hated as easy as that detector is there was something I did not like about it, I purchased it and the Xterra 705 at the same time in 2009 and bought into the hype of the ATP, mine would never see anything over 5-6 inches deep even though in air test the ATP was way deeper then the 705 it was not my 705 was hitting mercs in Ohio at 10-11 inches and the ATP would not even give a peep on them.

Last edited:
My 705 and every 705 I ever seen was not Red they were Blue the Xterra 305 and 505 were both Red, it took me almost 2 years to mesh with the 705 there was times I wanted to wrap the 705 around a tree but I stuck with it and then one day the light bulb turned on and I have loved it ever since, the AT Pro is the one I hated as easy as that detector is there was something I did not like about it, I purchased it and the Xterra 705 at the same time in 2009 and bought into the hype of the ATP, mine would never see anything over 5-6 inches deep even though in air test the ATP was way deeper then the 705 it was not my 705 was hitting mercs in Ohio at 10-11 inches and the ATP would not even give a peep on them.
I had it the other way around for some reason i was thinking the 705 was red and 505 blue lol its been a while like i said didn’t have them long.
But either way i had the same feeling of wanting to wrap them around a tree . At the time they seemed like thin sticks with a small control box

I am sure you didn't learn Tesoro's sounds on your fist trip. Others take time too. Listen for smooth, very little static, always in the same place. Listen to the length of the tone and how it ramps up and down. Does it sound like the tone starts with a k or more like a g or some other consonant? How does it end? Does the middle sound like a ah, ee or uh or some other vowel? How does the tone react when you move the coil off of it? Is the tone discordant. Check out music articulation. It describes different types of sounds.

If you get a chance, listen to the Deus or Orx. They speak Tesoro in many different tones if you know Tesoro language already. I was amazed. I don't have a Legend but the Impact and Racer 2 have pretty good tones too. It doesn't take very long to pick up clues. Good luck.

My buddy prospects for gold, and hits creeks and rivers in Georgia loaded with quartz and black sand…The land around these creeks are highly mineralized ….He has the high freq coil that goes up to 81 khz on his orx…Nice light fast machine !