Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunted Out Fairground Field ?

miserman

I hunted a fairground field fifteen years ago that was the sight of a one mile horse track that was used for harness racing from the 1870's to about 1925. When I hunted it back then I was able to find my first Silver Three-Cent Piece along with a couple of Barber Quarters and Dimes and assorted Indian Heads and older nickels. I hunted it with several other friends and they too found several old coins. This sight was hunted by many people for several years afterwards until it was considered hunted out. On the way home from an unsuccessful schoolhouse hunt this week, I was driving past the old site and seen that it was still in last years bean stubble. Without any coins in my pouch for the day,I decided to stop by the owners house and ask for permission to hunt it again after all those years. The field has been cleaned of a lot of the trash targets over the years by the many coin hunters that have dug the site and and I quickly seen that All Metal Mode was a possible option for the area. Surprisingly there were very few nail signals and I dug all signals that were above 20 on the fisher F75. I hunted the field for about four hours and dug a total of 40-50 signals and several of the low to mid 20's hits were nickels and I found the Indian Heads while digging mid 40's signals. The Barber Dime gave a "normal" 71-72 reading but was faint. It's somewhat surprising to me that I was still able to find nine coins in a field that has been hunted by so many people. One reason may be that the bean stubble was very low since it has been sitting since last fall and many times when it was hunted in the past, it had the difficult to hunt corn stubble. The soil being turned every year helps move the coins too. The coins are not very pretty but are coins none the less. Once again the saying of "Never Hunted Out" seems to be true....Thanks for looking

Attachments

• CDF42FFA-0734-4392-A879-003505E0675C.jpeg
    CDF42FFA-0734-4392-A879-003505E0675C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Good job! That F75 is a good worker!!!

I would say you and the F-75 did great in a hunted out field but I've also always said it's never hunted out completely 😉