Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Huntin with VAQ in All Metal

cz6aBill

Got my Vaquero last week. I have a site i want to hunt in AM should i GB a little positive or negative ? The manual really dont say much about hunting in all metal or the best way to GB. I want to get as much depth as i can at this site its pretty much new trash free just old rusty iron. Im lovin this machine so far what a pleasure to swing. Think i'll give my other machine a break this thing is a blast. Thanks Bill

Neutral for all metal. A tad negative if you switch over to discriminate.

tabman

I've found that the more perfectly neutral the GB is, the smoother it runs in AM. Run the thresh at the point where the hum just starts. Sounds like Stevie Nicks hitting her lowest note. Sweep a 4' area no closer than 2". Raise and lower the coil 10" while sweeping the 4' (clean) area. The tone should remain relatively steady. Keep in mind that some ground (like mine) won't work well in AM. I've only been able to use AM to hunt the woods and beach. The rest of our soil sounds too bumpy in AM to distinguish what's really going on under the coil.

Thanks Tabman and Polewagger. I've hunted this place to death over the years but never in AM. I think theres still some goodies to be found. This is my first Tesoro and i wanta see what it will find. Thanks again

Lots of signals still hiding there. The only thing I can add to what has been said is about the threshold setting. Setting it at a barely audible / just a whisper buzz is a comfortable setting to find only the true signals. However if you turn it up the threshold just a tad so you can hear a clear buzzing threshold, the tone will fluctuate over tiny and really deep stuff not otherwise heard with a lower thresh setting or in disc mode. these signals can be nothing more than a change in the ground matrix, turn ninty-degrees and sweep again, if you still get a signal it might be worth digging.
I agree with the importance of ground balancing perfectly neutral.

I think headphones is the most important factor when using AM (besides GB), because a bad pair will make a hunt pointless if your headphones are not producing a audible sound you can detect. I also have my threshold set to a barely audible hum, because the soil by my house is just a waistland and if you don't set threshold just right you would go crazy after 5 mins.

johnnywayne said:
I think headphones is the most important factor when using AM (besides GB), because a bad pair will make a hunt pointless if your headphones are not producing a audible sound you can detect.

cz6aBill,

I also agree with JW on Quality Headphones............They cut out the outside noise so you can hear the suttle change of the threshold better + if you have hearing damage you can adjust the headphone (adjustable volume each side) to your condition.

HaRM