Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting around houses

Overvoltage

I know a lot of you hunt old home sites. Where around the house have you noticed that you find the most good items? Front yard or back yard? I just recently hunted a house (not really old, small 1940's block style house) that has produced some silver in the front yard. Mostly by the front porch steps and by the walk leading to the driveway. Yesterday, I hunted the back yard for the first time and found nada thing other than some modern clad on the surface. I had high hopes for the back yard and was really disappointed that I did not find a single silver coin. is this a normal pattern?

I hunt approx. 40% private...60% public and hate door knocking but sometimes ya gotta do it. My experience has been the newer homes (40-50's) have less trash, coins aren't so deep, less chance of foundation re-do's, less old burn piles in yard and maybe more silver than the 100 yr old places. No consistancy from one place to another....some produce...some don't? Just gotta hunt them as best you can and keep your fingers crossed? I seem to gravitate towards where I "think" the virgin dirt is. Gotta be a detective...ask homeowner what he knows about any fill work, what they changed around the yard, info about previuos owners, any work on foundation, utility work, where the old clothes line was, any of that kinda stuff? I like to hunt where they park their car so sometimes the back yard is way better than the front depending on where they parked, etc. I prefer to hunt public but it only takes a couple good privates to up the silver count where in my area it seems the public spots are more of a grind....you just keep pounding away and grind out a coin but they slowly add up. My guess is half my silver comes from private (less hrs hunting) and the other half comes from public (more hrs hunting).....?????

Another thing I noticed about hunting privates in my experience....the juicier it looks, the less it produces? G4E made a comment about that and it went something like this "If it looked good to you...it probably looked good to someone else". I got soooo excited this past winter lining up 2 real JUICEY looking privates that I knew where really gonna produce and one had such a fancy lawn that I'm sure I lost 5-6 inches on sod alone and the other I "think" has had the piss hunted outta it and I tried 2 different machines, 3 different coils (etrac), gridding, etc. and got a few 5-6 wheaties crumbs and clad after 5 different hunts? TTF might unlock some goodies but I can't seem to warm up to TTF just yet....

Rained out today so maybe a trip to town for some door knocking might be in order.............????

I've hunted the yards of older houses, and old house places, for almost 45 years and with few exceptions the older coins I've found were in the front yards and one of the side yards where kids played. An exception was where a large tree had a swing for kids in back yards.

What little silver I have found in yards has mostly come from the front yard. Usually along the walk. If there is a nice shade tree that is also a very good place to look as the men may have sit and rested for a while after dinner.

glad this thread came up as it inspired me to man up, suck it up, clean up and go into town and hustle up some privates today. I scored a '36 house and also a 1910ish (?) place to hunt. Hopefully get started tomorrow if weather permits..............

Oneguy, need some help? I am planning on doing some door knocking this weekend. I hope I can get some fresh yards to hunt.

That is pretty much all I hunt is the older houses. The older they are the less they usually have, but when you do find a coin it can be a good one. I have the most luck on the 40' and 50's houses. I believe they had more money per house in that era. Each house is different. Yes the walkways are good and trees also. But don't let that stop you doing the whole yard. Each yard usually has a little hot spot. Each one is usually in a different place. Front yards are usually the best. Back yards most the times are not but I have found some really good ones also. My suggestion is just take your time and do it all

Search areas around front porch. Coins would drop and roll off porch or go through the cracks. Drive way where people got in and out of cars. Old clothes lines where coins would fall out of clothes when hanged upside down.

I remember getting this ring at the base of the wooden steps at the back of an old house. I have heard that women used to put their jewellery on the step/stoop when they planned to do gardening/planting/washing laundry outside, beating the carpets and other chores. At this particular house, the original concrete steps had crumbled so someone long ago installed wooden steps in the same place and it was just about 2 inches in the dirt under the bottom step! I guess a child or the dog! kicked it moving it off the step onto the ground.
Also, I think if you can see where flower beds are or used to be (usually denoted by a group of wild flowers) they usually are places where rings might have slid off as the home owners were planting or weeding.