Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

hunting near metal fence posts

johnnymac

What advise does anyone have to hunt close to metal fence posts with an explorer. The same thing happens when I try to hunt grass strips between the concrete curb and sidewalk. Mike[Virginia Beach] posted a digital readout for the explorer11 that I have tried to find on this forum. Thank you for any help Johnnymac

Have you tried using a smaller coil yet? If you use a 5" or 8" coil, you can get a little closer to the posts if you turn your sensitivity down enough so the post don't react so bad. I have done it before and have recovered coins within 2" or so away from metal posts. Same thing for the re-bar in concrete. Hope you try it and have some good results.

Howdy Johnny,
Besides using a small coil and or turning the sensitivity down, try to make your swing of the coil parallel to the fence instead of at a right angle. This should improve your results.

Johnny, it looks like your question has been answered by the others. Even with the small coil you will probably have limited success hunting near metal fence posts and concrete sidewalks. With machines as sensitive as these it's tough to get near big metal without tham letting you know about it...that IS their job. :)

"Doctor, it hurts when I do THIS..."

"Well then don't DO THAT!" :lol:

Here are the digital readings I posted before:

Fer/Con
One Dollar, Silver Eagle 00--15
One Dollar, Morgan 00--25,26
One Dollar, Eisenhower, clad 00--26,27
1/2 Dollars, walking Lib 00--28
1/2 Dollars, Franklin 00--28
1/2 Dollars, Kennedy, clad 00--28
1/2 Dollars, Capped Bust 00-29
Quarter standing Lib 00--29
Quarter, Wash, Silver 00--29
Quarter, Wash, Clad 00--29
Quarter, Statehood 00--29
One Dollar, Susan B. 00--29
One Dollar, Sacagawea 00--29
Quarter seated Lib 01--29
Draped Bust 02--29
Barber Dime 02--29
Seated Liberty Dime 03--29
Mercury Dime 03--29
Roosevelt Silver Dime 03--29
Wheatie 04--28,29
Gold 20 Dollars 04--29
Screw Caps 06/07 27/28
Memorial 06--27
Gold 10 Dollars 07--07
Gold 5 Dollar 07--22
3 cent silver 07--24
1/2 dime 07--24
Indian Head 07--25
Gold one dollar 08--04
Pull tabs 08/09 08/10
Gold 2.5 Dollar 08--10
Flying Eagle 08--11
18 kt 08-11 02-09
Indian Head, Fatty 08--12
5 cent, Silver war nickle 09--07
Beaver Tails 10--4
5 cent shield 10--05
5 cent, Liberty V 10--05,06
5 cent, Indian Head, Fatty 10--05,06
5 cent, Jefferson 10--06
14 kt 10-12 00-06
3 cent nickle 11--02
Foil 11--02
mens large ring 11--12
Wheatie, steal 31--28

Here are a few links you might find helpful:

http://groups.msn.com/MinelabExplorerXSusers/digitalchart1.msnw

http://www.bdomineau.com/gpage.html

http://www.bdomineau.com/gpage6.html

Use a small DD elliptical coil like the accelerator 4.5 x 7. Always point an end, not a side, towards the pole - or metal - because they have less electrical field on each end due to their design and are not affected by metal in these areas as much as on the sides where the field is larger. A concentric. or round, coil has a large field all the way around it.
I used mine on my MXT the other day and was surprised at the depth I was getting on targets up close to a slide and metal climb poles.
The first batch for this coil for the minelab went quick and the next one is hung up at customs. I hope it stays that way, there is too much competition out there already. So why am I telling you this?
The devil made me do it? I done know, guess I am just crazy.

Mikel

Besides the other great tips, here's one I can add. When close to a large metal object, even the cable and control box are affected, so lay the detector flatter, so as much of it is as far away as possible from the metal.
hh
-Ed