Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting Story...

This past spring I took Steve from Indy and Neal from IN to a corner field that use to have a church. We talked to the owner and gained permission. Well, a cousin of the owner lives within eye-shot of the field and showed up trying to chase us off. He even said that the owner only leased the property. Nothing I said made any difference. He ended up cussing at us and flipping the bird. Steve and Neal were ready to go for fear the guy would come back with a gun. I returned to the owners house and double checked that he owned the field and that the guy wouldn't kill us. Both were affirmed. We did not have any more trouble and found some goodies. Neal and I both found a silver 3 cent. Later I saw the guy drive past and he didn't even look.

Yesterday I went back to the site for the first time since then. Someone had thrown a ton of stinkin' Lincolns all over the corner lot. Three guesses who... I dug up about 15 of them. The top two inches were frozen, so recovering them all was not going to happen. It was easy to pass them up since they were all on top. Next year it will be a different story once they get plowed around. The site use to have very few non-ferrous hits, and if you got one it was usually an old coin. I was hoping the guy would stop by and ask how I was doing. I was going to tell him, I was finding more than I ever had here, it was great finding coins every foot!

Previously, I had thought about asking the guy if he would like to try detecting. I never thought that was a good idea though. Oh well, I doubt I will try that corner lot again anyway - no goodies found yesterday.

Dang, some people just make you wonder.

HH - BF

Been there done that with people living close to the property. Once i even had to call the owner to come to the property to kick a neighbor off....he just refused to let me hunt in peace. I mean come on a Corn field? Field hunting really is the most exciting hunting now days with the right site. All that brass, horse whats-its, and old coins. MOST owners dont have a problem.... but ive ran into some that are just nuts about anyone on their property even a huge corn field. Many thou really are interested once you show the some of the old maps. I try to get back with them and even give them an old coin or something i found. You think you get that up there you should be on a beach. We get those guys throwing BBs, trashed coins and cut crab traps for the PI users to keep them off the beach. Its a shame.... i mean just a shame people do things like that. Ive never minded hunting behind someone and ive had many jump in front of me. I love to make a good find, but im not so competitive that im going to let it ruin my hunt or become stressful. Hunting should be just the opposent.... a time to just enjoy being out there, especially if you have a couple of buddies with you. Now thats fun.

Dew

n/t

Good thing you had some backup!

You have more patience than I do!

I avoid confrontations when I can. One anonymous lawn police doogooda called the cops on me when I was hunting a parkway (public property).

The dispatched officer,noticably agitated, likely from having to respond to such a life-and-death call infomed me that someone reported me for 'digging holes.'

I was very polite, and nonetheless was threatened with arrest if I did not leave. Not cool. When I asked who the caller was I was similarly shut down and told that the caller had the right to stay anonymous.

What's really sad is that the caller flat out lied to the police. I had just gotten there and had yet to recover any target whatsoever.

So I left. I cannot afford to get arrested because I could lose my job even if i was later exhonerated.

I had ways at the time, to get the identity of the caller but i let it go. What goes around, comes around. I really don't care what happens to the caller but like they say,

Karma's a $@)&#^!

Hi Steve,
It was too bad your elbow was acting up that day. Did that Aleve I gave you help on the way home? We all managed to find some goodies for sure. I really had fun that day. Always great to hunt with buddies. Especially old Iron Brigade buddies!
HH - Robin

Hi Bik,
Yea, some folks have too much time on their hands and end up in our space. I and a friend managed to hunt a park three times before some "city official" drove by and called the police, we were digging holes, Ooooo. The officer was very nice and said he could tell we were being very careful, but that we had to leave (due to the power of the calling official). The officer took our names, so if we returned, some undisclosed punishment would ensue. Too bad since we only had a small portion that was not covered.

I went through the proper channels way-back-when on this park, calling the police to see if it was ok. They told me: you can detect in the park, but you cannot dig! So I never tried detecting there, until my new hunting partner said he was having some success there. I was shocked that he had no problems. So we paired up and hit it a few more times.

Normally I try to keep the peace, with anyone that has a problem. But if I am in the right, I will let them know and then move on if necessary.

Remember, we are a scary bunch to some folks. Swinging that machine around within eye-shot of their personal property is very threatening! Hey, and my knees get dirty! That only ads to the awful scary detectorist vampire air, Oooo...

Seriously though, we should remember that some shut in old folks may feel threatened by our presence.

Take care and HH - Robin

some people just make you scratch your head and wonder!

I'm glad you had some others there with you...because you never know what would have gone down if it was just you.

Yea, it was nice to have backup that day. I think the only reason he tried to run us off was that there were three of us. I had been hunting by myself around in those fields previously without a problem. He figured he had some claim to the property being he lives close and is a relative.

Someone said he likes to walk the fields looking for arrow heads. Sort of makes me want to buy up a bunch of fake arrowheads and toss them around (not).

Really though this is a very isolated incident. I am still surprised at all the nice folks around. Knocking on doors and talking to land owners has been a positive experience for me. I easily have a 75 percent success rate. Even when getting turned down, many times, the folks thank me for asking.

The times we have now also makes folks wary of strangers. With scrap metal prices so high, theft is a big problem for farmers. Don't kid yourself, if you are driving slowly on country roads and looking at maps, turning around etc, you are being watched. And you are making someone nervous.

Here's to the friendly folks that give us permission! Cheers!
HH - Robin

I think you guys handled a crappy situation very well.
You just don't know what some people will stoop to in this day and age.

That took a lot of patience by you to hgandle the situation the way you did.
Kudos to you guys...I don't think I could have been as patient as you were. Good post.