Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting trashy area paid off this time

Larbear2

Last night after I finished my after dinner chores ( wash the dishes ), there was an hour and a half left until dark. I drove to a nearby middle school and started hunting a trashy area. This was an area I had hunted several times before and it was always good for a few clad coins and there was a lot of trashy mid tones if I cared to dig them. I would go through and dig some clad and also dig some trash in case there was some maskiing going on and I would dig some trash to try and clean the area up so it would be better the next time I hunted it.
First five minutes of the hunt and I was digging a target that i assumed was another piece of trash. Nope, it came out golden colored and had a little bit of weight to it. It came in at 52 vdi on the At Pro, had the 5x8 coil on it. I was thinking I had a gold ring, but the marking on the inside of the band was so small and faint that I would have to wait until I got home and put the loupe on it to be sure. After I got home and put the loupe on it, I saw that it was a BENCHMARK 14K ring, weighs 5 grams.
After the ring, it was a small amount of clad and mid tone junk like pencil erasers, foil, tabs, etc. Before too long it was getting dark and time to leave. I will be going back soon and clear out some more trash, maybe there will be another goodie hiding in the trash?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 309
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 318
That 49 to 52 vdi has been a good number for my Old Pro. Thats when it's time to dig. Something made you go to that area for a short hunt (gut feeling maybe) It all came together for you Larbear, had to be a good feeling.

Way to attack the trash. Good things come to he who waits….

That 49 to 52 vdi has been a good number for my Old Pro. Thats when it's time to dig. Something made you go to that area for a short hunt (gut feeling maybe) It all came together for you Larbear, had to be a good feeling.
Thanks Dancer, it was a good feeling. I kept thinking that with so many mid tones still to be dug, there might be a good target or two that had been missed. Also, the school is close to my house, so I have gone there many times when I only had time for a short hunt. How’s the Tarsacci working for you?

Congrats!! Wish I still had the stamina to dig both (good & bad) signals.

O.K folks. I read with great interest all your comments. But not wishing to pop out a numerous amount of plugs only to find junk. And as such using my A.T Pro, what are the sweet numbers a guy MUST concentrate on to hit gold? Numbers and sounds one would never pass up? I have found numerous silver rings and such. But never gold as of yet. Getting down to flip out a plug isn't so bad, but for me, getting back up is, well, a little tough, to say the least. Thanks.

PawPaw, if your going to find gold your going to have to dig a lot of trash, that's just the nature of gold.
With good hunting spots getting rarer than a hen's tooth, this is were we are headed with metal detecting, it's getting tougher and tougher out there, we've got to go through the trash to get some more silver and gold.

Both my mens 14k wedding bands were in the nickel/tab range. The big honking Mr T necklace was solid nickel number on my Fisher

48-71 are the numbers you will want to pay attention to. Unfortunately, that will involve a lot of up and down and you will dig a lot of trash. One thing you can do if you have confidence finding a gold ring in a particular area, is peel it away in layers. Dig the obvious good signals first, quarter signals, dime signals, etc. As time goes on, you will run out of the easy, obvious coin signals and you will be forced to dig the junky signals (tabs, foil, nickel area, zincs). That can lead you to dig a gold ring if you dig enough targets.
Pay attention to the tone of the target, if it is strong and consistent, (very litlte fluctuation on the vdi), dig those targets. Sometimes your gut just tells you to dig.
You might want to consider strengthening those muscles that help you get up and down. Perhaps a couple of sessions with a personal trainer or exercise some on your own to increase your strength and endurance. It can be done, set a goal and work to reach it. Good luck, I hope you find that gold and once you do that will inspire you to find more gold.

PawPaw, if your going to find gold your going to have to dig a lot of trash, that's just the nature of gold.
With good hunting spots getting rarer than a hen's tooth, this is were we are headed with metal detecting, it's getting tougher and tougher out there, we've got to go through the trash to get some more silver and gold.
Thanks for that. It's kinda what I had thought. But still hoped I would find a small edge in my favor.

48-71 are the numbers you will want to pay attention to. Unfortunately, that will involve a lot of up and down and you will dig a lot of trash. One thing you can do if you have confidence finding a gold ring in a particular area, is peel it away in layers. Dig the obvious good signals first, quarter signals, dime signals, etc. As time goes on, you will run out of the easy, obvious coin signals and you will be forced to dig the junky signals (tabs, foil, nickel area, zincs). That can lead you to dig a gold ring if you dig enough targets.
Pay attention to the tone of the target, if it is strong and consistent, (very litlte fluctuation on the vdi), dig those targets. Sometimes your gut just tells you to dig.
You might want to consider strengthening those muscles that help you get up and down. Perhaps a couple of sessions with a personal trainer or exercise some on your own to increase your strength and endurance. It can be done, set a goal and work to reach it. Good luck, I hope you find that gold and once you do that will inspire you to find more gold.
Very good advice I thank you.