Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am considering a 13 inch coil

Kevin B.

I can use the larger area to work out some yards quicker. I am real surprised that coil that is 5 inches bigger would not at least give three extra inches of depth!! Three inches of depth is alot!!!! It would put me down lower than 90% of the stuff that I find. But that is all I hear: "Better ground coverage, but not much better depth".
Has anyone actually done an airtest between the two JUST for comparative purposes??? My Deus, when set hot, will air test a silver dime at 12 inches. To perform the air test, I take it outside to a metal free spot in the yard, I do a ground balance, and then lay it down with coil upright. I use a plastic carpenters level with inches and centimeters etched into it. I find that I get better air test results that way. I wonder how fsr the Thirteen inch coil will air test a dime? If the 9 inch coil gives 12 inches on a silver Roosevelt dime (which is mighty good), I'd LOVE to know how far down (with reactivity at 2...sens at 99....Disc down to zero or 1) the 13inch coil would hit it.
I'm trying to justify the cost of the new coil. And being able to cover more land area IS a good incentive...but not quite enough to push me over the edge....so to speak.

I saw a video on Internet someone was doing air test between the 2 coils

with a 14k gold ring there was a 5 inch difference between coil.

I just bought a Deus ,I'm considering to buy (maybe) the 13'',i can have one for $300 on special now when you buy the Deus.

Picsous said:
I saw a video on Internet someone was doing air test between the 2 coils

with a 14k gold ring there was a 5 inch difference between coil.

I just bought a Deus ,I'm considering to buy (maybe) the 13'',i can have one for $300 on special now when you buy the Deus.

At $300 you better get it that is a good deal if you do not like it should be able to get your $ out of it pretty quick.

Jason

The larger coil is ideal for covering more ground and does offer a slight increase in depth as is typical on DD coils but 5 inches more on a ring . . . doubtful.

As far as a silver dime . . . . . you would likely see a max of 1" to 2" more . . . . . . but that woudl be a tone change only.

Hope this answers your question.

And the $299 option for the larger coil is good for any Deus purchased through 1/31/13 - see the pinned message at the top of this forum as the offer will save you more than 50%

Andy Sabisch

Kevin B. said:
Thanks felows. I may wait for the 11 inch coil.

May be a long wait. If you can get one for $300 new you had better grab it. If you do not like it I would say it will not last long posted here for sell for $300. Just my thoughts they are not easy to find used.

Jason

I thought you could only get a $300 coil if you purchase a detector at the same time.
I already have a detector can I get a coil for $300 ?

I have a Deus. I'm just toying with the notion of getting the extra 13inch coil. So the special will not be of any help to me. Now, if they put their 13 inch coils on sale by themselves for 300 bux, i'd grab one. But since that ain't going to happen. My next thought is this: Maybe the Version 3 download coupled with the 11 inch coil will enhance the depth etc etc. I mean...isn't the transmit and recieve power built into the coils??? (Well, I guess if that was the case, the 13inch coil would get more depth than is now being reported. But then, XP MIGHT have merely put the guts from a 9 inch coil into the 13inch coil, therefore, no greater depth.....to speak of. Just pondering out loud here. I don't actually know enough about the technical phase of this stuff to even be trying make public statements like I just did. But since I have already wrote it....I'll hit the POST MESSAGE button.
And thanks for all the replies, I truly appreciate them. Remeber the old saying: There's no dumb answers, just dumb questions. ........kiddin

you need another stem to carry it as its a bit top heavy .

My 13 inch coil should be here tomorrow. Leastwise, that is what I am counting on. Maybe the ground will have dried a bit by then as it's muddy right now.

Just got my 13 inch coil programmed (control box and headphones) and am ready to go play. Something I learned while doing this. Y'all probably already know this but I didn't. While programming your new coil, simply keep your wireless headphones turned on!!! They are automatically programmed. Well, I had to learn this the hard way. I DID NOT have my head phones on. I THEN decided that it was time to break out the Deus owners manual. Thankfully, it realized that there was going to be oafs like me who don't get it right the first time. So I will share how to program the headphones IF you forget to have the headphones on while programming the control box to the new coil. First, turn on unit. And turn on head phones. Go to COILS in your OPTIONS menu. Push Coils and then back up to your old coil (001). Then, simply go BACK to your new coil in the coils menu. Alll of this while your headphones remain on. NOW...your headphones are programmed to your new large coil.
I went to my test garden. I am hitting ALL of my targets with much louder and more definitive hi tones!!!! Even the 12 inch Three Ringer bullet is getting a good repeatable signal that I would easily dig. So far......I LIKE IT!!! No regrets on buying it!

I bought a used one on the forum from DeusDigger, got a great deal. I bought it just before the snow flew here in Minnesota. I really like it.It isn't that heavy, is well balanced and covers a lot of ground. It is also easy to pinpoint with and is very sensitive. I would reccomend one for your arsenal unless you only hunt in extremely trashy parks.

the 11 inch is due pretty soon so why not wait and compare them

Yes, it definitely gives more versatility to the Deus. Actually, I took it to an old homesite that was littered with old nails, where I had quit getting diggable signals with the 9 inch coil. I dug another 69 cal three ringer, a 58 cal FIRED three ringer (may have been an old hospital site), and half a harmonica reed. I was VERY impressed. And while it does feel a bit heavier, it was in no way unpleasant to swing. I appreciate Bart at Bigboyshobbies for the excellent deal. Ya know, that's one place you can order a metal detector, and the meatl detector GOES OUT THAT SAME DAY!!! As long as ya get your order in by a reasonable time (say, by noon). That quality alone keeps me coming back to this Findmall sponser. But there are more than just one good quality about that sponser.
Happy Hunting everyone.

Just bought my Deus from BigBoar and its new back in August sure wish I could get that deal on the 13" coil, guess I will have to find someone selling one used.

So any idea on when the new 11 inch will come out and what really will be the difference between the 11x13 and 11...curious on why they would go with a slightly smaller coil. Will that give it more depth?

it looks like they extended the offer on the lg coil to purchases made before 02/28 so i sent in the form. i was unable to reach anyone at the address i mailed it to, so i'm a little apprehensive. is 'detector electronics' the same as 'metaldetector.com'? they seem to share the same physical address but why are they the ones who process this offer? are they the preferred importer or repair center or otherwise have some special arrangement with xp?

anyway, only one more question--anyone know how long the turnaround on this is and whether they give you any feedback such as send you an email when your forms are accepted?

thanks,

/guy

Ordered mine from Detector Electronics.
Took a few days for them to get the order form and
Took 6 days shipping from MA to CA.
They sent a tracking number to follow.