Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am hoping the x 70 with the 18.75 coil will be

B sperty

As sensitive as a Tejon and Lobo ST to hammered silver but with tone ID. I have been an explorer guy since 2000.I just received the x 70 so time will tell.

Mont, I will try that. In the UK i dig ANYTHING that is not iron.
Lead is the trash metal over there. Would you dare try to Disc. lead out of a program.

leave the iron for the guys with the Tejons to find bud.:rofl:
we have a lot of lead seals, lead tokens and lead pilgrims badge's over here mate. Plus lead can sound or give you the same signal as gold so its not worth leaving lead in the ground just in case its a Saxon gold coin.
I hope that Joka will forgive me for the crack about the iron Brian, hehehe

If X-Terras are so good in the trash why do most expierienced detecorists in the UK use Tesoro's,Goldmax,Compasses etc for finding hammered coins close to iron & use Minelabs mainly on pasture & beaches for depth on larger higher conductive coins& jewellery?????

that might account for you seeing more of the other brands in use.

"If X-Terras are so good in the trash why do most expierienced detecorists in the UK use Tesoro's,Goldmax,Compasses etc for finding hammered coins close to iron & use Minelabs mainly on pasture & beaches for depth on larger higher conductive coins& jewellery??"... My guess is that you're referring to one of the Compass Scanner series models that operate at about 13.77 kHz. The various Tesoro models that have worked well over there have been in the 10 kHz-to- 17.5 kHz frequency range. The XP GoldMaxx, which I happen to like a great deal, is made in France and isn't a discriminating model, and it, too, operates at a higher frequency.

I have friends who have done well on their trips to Europe (primarily England) using White's and Minelab brands, too. Mainly the Minelab Advantage and a Sovereign. Another friend is a very avid Explorer user. Almost exclusively ... except for going after the tiny, thin hammered silver coins or any sites where such difficult finds might be located.

One older gent had been trying to use his Spectrum and then XLT on three trips, and without much success. I showed him how to tune his Classic III SL for peak performance, and I tweaked the GB for him. On the next trip he did better than he ever had, and better than most of the others in that hunting party! All with the 6

Thanks for the reply Monte,
I would like to know how sensitive the X-Terra 70 is on say a tiny hammered coin,small nugget,thin gold chain.
Is it as sensitive as say the XP Goldmaxx or a Tesoro Cibola/Lobo.
Also has anyone compared the X-Terra 70 to a Tesoro/Goldmaxx to see how close you can find a tiny Hammered/Nugget/gold chain close to iron?What i'm saying is does the X-Terra 70 have a very fast recovery
speed which i understand the Goldmaxx & Tesoro's do.
Also is it as sensitive on small Hammereds,nuggets,chains etc as Tesoro's,Goldmaxx etc.
Finally i also prefer just to have 2 tone's one for iron & one for non-ferrous.I hope the Prospecting mode will be good for finding Hammered coins amongst iron but if i'm right it only has single tone,if this is correct i think this is a missed opportunity for using this mode in lots of iron.

I am always on the look for any renovation work. Often I find old (for us here in the USA) sidewalk repair where the dedicated narrow area has an abundance of rusty iron nails that were lost at the time of original construction. I also look for 'tear-downs' of older homes, apartment buildings and businesses. Due to loss during the original construction and as a by-product of any renovation through the years and the recent demolition of the structure, iron nails can be found in abundance. Of course, just what I mean by "abundance" might not be what others would perceive as the same.

When I am hunting old racetracks, horse barns and other fairgrounds & arena areas, I plan on encountering an increased amount of smaller animal shoe nails. When I work military encampments and other similar sites where there could have been a lot of crates opened or destroyed (burned), then I anticipate crate-type nails. Near homesteads and especially more modern structures, roofing nails will be in the mix with larger 'construction' nails.

To me, these different types of sites might all have "iron nails," but they might be different sizes (thickness and length) from quite small to large.

But I also hunt a lot of old ghost towns here in the US. Some actually have very little iron debris other than the occasional nail, while others might have a heavy or dense scattering of nails due to buildings that have burned or been destroyed otherwise. Some of the older "towns" were actually camps for mining or prospecting and have more iron than just nails, but the bulk of the older town-sites I hunt are associated with the pioneering of the railroad in the western US. If I had to describe what I consider to be a very tough environment with iron junk, or "amongst iron", I immediately think of the RR ghost towns I work.

So, if you're asking how the X-Terra's handle those types of sites, where you can easily get 6 to 8 or even 10 target hits on a single 4-foot left-to-right sweep, then I will tell you they do pretty darn good! They'll do better with a smaller coil and/or a DD type, I am sure.

"Thanks for the reply Monte,".. You're welcome.

"I would like to know how sensitive the X-Terra 70 is on say a tiny hammered coin, small nugget, thin gold chain."... I have used some of the smaller hammered coins my friends have brought back from the UK and, in our comparisons, the X-Terra's have been very impressive.

I found a nice 10k bracelet that was rather thin. It was a child's bracelet and responded with a very good audio.

Small foils and other difficult targets (for some makes and models) have been sounding off rather well for me so far. The X-T 50 has been very good, and the X-Terra 70 a little better.

"Is it as sensitive as say the XP Goldmaxx or a Tesoro Cibola/Lobo."... The Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ used to me a main-use detector for me, and I often hunting with it in the discriminate mode set to just reject the ground signal. It did 'OK'. Of the other Tesoro models, if I was forced to have to choose one to use today, it would be the Vaquero or Eldroado (

Thanks again Monte,
Just one more thing about coils.
Here in the UK they are selling the 9" concentric 18.75kHz coil which i think would be the best general coil for finding hammereds in iron?Would you agree.
Also in the most iron infested areas would the 10"x5" 18.75kHz DD eliptical be the best coil to use here which is also on sale or should i wait until maybe a 4" or 5" coil is available?

elliptical DD and smaller coils soon. I'm especially interested in the 9" 3kHz coil for 'silver shooting' some of our older parks and such, but I want ther smaller coil for working in the trash-filled ghost towns.

It will be interesting to see how everyone, on both sides of the Atlantic, determine which type, size and frequency coil will serve them the best for their hunting. I know that I'll have my 18.75 kHz 'H' coil ready for potential gold jewelry sites, and any others that might have small, low-conductive targets.

I also like the standary coil for 'general hunting', but I definitley need (want) a smaller coil and I will compare the smaller coil wioth the DD coil as soon as I have them in hand. I know that on my Shadow X5, in some iron infested sites (small to medium nails), I did better with the 5" than with the 7", and the 5x10 DD even gave better results than the 5". So, it will, as always, be interesteing to see which coils are coming and how they compare afield.

Monte

I think I would like the X-70 with a 5" DD coil (I hope they are going to sell one) and a 9" DD coil for the beach. My real questions are:
Do you think the 3 khz, 7.5 & 18.75 will all come in DD? What sizes?

Thanks, Minelab has a nice young lady answering our emails, but, she doesn't really know very much about the technical specifications of the DD vs Concentric. All she has told me is that a smaller coil should be out in 2-3 weeks.
Hopefully, you can shed a bit more light on it, even if it is just to tell me what coils you think would work the best for my style of hunting.

Bill