Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I am thing about a new one?

lasergod

Guys, I have been thing about getting a new pinpointer. Currently I have a Garrett (black model) which has been through an amazing amount of use and abuse. It still works ok. I have been seeing the Garrett Carrot online.

Is this worth upgrading or adding this to the pouch? Does it preform better? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! Also, has anyone found any great deals on these?

Thanks!

My 2 cents worth

I own both models and have never had a single problem with the original black Pro Pointer.
I always liked the black on and still use it.

I originally purchased the Pro Pointer AT primarily because of it's being waterproof.

I have to say, after using both, I find the Orange, AT Model MUCH nicer all around and in my opinion it is a better performer, and simply more fun to use. It got quite an environmental beating this past season and is very rugged.

1. it's waterproof
2. it's a lot more sensitive than the original black one and offers 3 programmable sensitivity settings.
3. the one touch re-tune is nice (you don't have to turn it off/on like the black one). In fact, I find the one touch re-tune is so convenient it negates the need for having 3 sensitivity settings.
4. if you prefer silence, you can turn off the audio and use only vibrate while pinpointing.
5. the lanyard loop is a nice touch
6. I like the orange color because of it's high visibility.
7. it's rugged, has been very reliable, and never falses

Battery life seems about identical to the Original as far as I can tell.

I purchased my Pro Pointer AT model (the carrot) at the going rate when they first came out and haven't shopped for another since then so I can't comment on current prices/deals. I'm really happy that I upgraded.

There is also a Pro Pointer II which is an upgrade to the original black Pro Pointer but it's not waterproof and there are a fewer setting options.

If you want to pinpoint in/under the water, it's the way to go. Other then that, the one you are using is fine.

I just bought the carrot. I have the black one too. I like them both, but the AT is much better. I think it picks up much deeper than the black one.

Does the new one false when you apply pressure while pushing it against the dirt? That's my only complaint with the original unit. Some companies are now producing models that do not false as easily. I'd just as soon stay with the Garrett brand when I do get a new one.

ML said:
Does the new one false when you apply pressure while pushing it against the dirt? That's my only complaint with the original unit. Some companies are now producing models that do not false as easily. I'd just as soon stay with the Garrett brand when I do get a new one.

The carrot absolutely does not false that way as the older ones did.

There are even a few youtube videos where folks have tested for that problem and concluded (to their satisfaction) that the problem has been resolved.

FrankG said:
ML said:

The carrot absolutely does not false that way as the older ones did.

There are even a few youtube videos where folks have tested for that problem and concluded (to their satisfaction) that the problem has been resolved.

Great, thanks.