Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i average a cop one in 4 outings

olemudface

those of you who are new to metal detecting, Things you have to understand that people will call the cops for any reason,every one wants to be that hero,Last time a cop was called on me because the guy thought i was blind and lost in the field,every one had a big laugh but me,because even if your not wrong ,you will have to leave the area because thats protocol. Another time old man called and said i was drunk and falling down every 10 minutes,he was like a football field away and again i had to leave, Then there was the time this couple called the cops right in front of me about somone left a bike and back pack unattended and when the cops showed up he yelled at the couple but again i was to ask to leave,and that was only in the last 3 months! i dont like the public to much so i hve to search the woods, and if you dont like to be botherd ,dont even atempt to search a park if there are more then 3 kids there,they will follow you until your mad . because they only act up in groups because if they botherd you by himself there is no one for him to show off to!

I almost never get bothered, nor have the cops called. Maybe twice or so in 20 years. You got to hit parks under the radar. Come at low traffic times. Stay far away from others there and keep your back to them or the road when bending down to dig. If somebody ever does confront me I'll just leave, because if the cops come guess who gets kicked out and will have no excuse when they see me hunting there again? Never been banned at a park by flying under the radar. I also keep my digger in a holder until needed as carrying it in your hand is intimidating to some, and no way I'd ever carry even a short handled shovel on public land. Just asking for trouble. Also, if I see park grounds crew working I leave and come back another day. I always figured if I had that job I might get my nose out of joint if I saw somebody digging up "my" grass.

Also, whenever a target is say 4" or less try to use a screwdriver to pop it out, and of course repair all holes best as possible. I like cutting 3 sided plugs these days. That way it acts like a hing and will fall right back in the way it came out, hiding the edges better. Some say you can't dig deep plugs this way but I have no problem with it, even if it takes scooping more dirt out of the bottom of the hole, because the top 4 or 5" and edges will be intact to keep the grass from dying and also hide the plug. When done, I give a good bit of foot presure to squeeze the air out of the dirt, as air dries out roots real quick and kills grass. I also try to dig the plug a good bit deeper than the roots so I'm not disturbing their ends too much.

We are far too in numbers to push our rights around, even if I feel as a tax payer I have every right to detect public land. There just aren't enough of us to sway politicians. And many Joe Public type citizens these days seem to take delight in making sure nobody is having fun around them.

Makes ne glad to live in a town of 200 people. We don't even have a town cop. The county police station is a half-hour away.

:)Got any houses for sale in your town or will 202 people be too many?

A few house for sale, we have a bar, post office, fire department and 2 big parks and one was a school that was torn down.

I have never been bothered by either the public or the cops when in the city parks. The city grounds or Parks keepers have always been good to me. I have friends that tell me just the opposite. The idea about moving to a very small town is appealing. especially with a bar. Marv

Those damn detector shows are not helping us either. Sometimes I wish I was like that guy in the Twilight Zone episode who survived a Nuke war by being stuck in a vault and all he wanted to do was read books.. Think of all the undisturbed detecting you could have. Then again how fun would that be with all the fall-out. LOL

HH
Jason

Yea, all these damn detector shows are making it bad for all of us. In a couple years
you'll be able to buy a detector at a yard sale or pawn shop for pennies on the dollar
when these people find out detecting isn't all that easy. You ain't gonna get rich!
Robert2300

Problem is all those detectors for sale in 4 yrs and nobody can detect in a park or any where else after they tear up all the places and detecting is banned in our states ???? shortribs Been at it for 42 yrs.

olemudface said:
those of you who are new to metal detecting, Things you have to understand that people will call the cops for any reason,every one wants to be that hero,Last time a cop was called on me because the guy thought i was blind and lost in the field,every one had a big laugh but me,because even if your not wrong ,you will have to leave the area because thats protocol. Another time old man called and said i was drunk and falling down every 10 minutes,he was like a football field away and again i had to leave, Then there was the time this couple called the cops right in front of me about somone left a bike and back pack unattended and when the cops showed up he yelled at the couple but again i was to ask to leave,and that was only in the last 3 months! i dont like the public to much so i hve to search the woods, and if you dont like to be botherd ,dont even atempt to search a park if there are more then 3 kids there,they will follow you until your mad . because they only act up in groups because if they botherd you by himself there is no one for him to show off to!

............NOW THATS FUNNY...............,Probably not to you,but what is life without a little drama?,humor?....make them keep calling the cops, HH

This is why it's gotten to where I do most of my hunting at night, in the dark, with no people around. So peaceful, so serene :)

This is the best post on all of findmall and Tnet. I LMBO every time I read this. I for one agree 100%.

Am in Florida, on vacation, and detecting the beaches at night.
Two nights ago I had a "local" approach me and ask to "try" my detector.
I said no and he stepped closer and said he wanted to look at my detector.
My beach scoop, over my shoulder was not deterring him!
At that time I wished a cop was around!
If you have been detecting long you all know what this guy's intent was. GRAB AND DASH!
I have been doing the "night thing" for too long, and was better prepared.
Upon his third request I put my hand in my pocket and told him to leave in a stern voice.
He read my posture well and made the wise choice.
As he walked away I removed my hand from the .38, in it's pocket holster and detected my way back to the condo.
Bad part was that I didn't find anything for all that trouble!
Some of you may ask "was your life worth a $700 detector?"
My response...."was his?!"

Deleted