Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I.D. help

coopercat

Can anyone help me identify this slug? Thanks

Attachments

• 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 183
I can see rifling on the shank and a crimping band of what looks like a round nose bullet. If it did impact something (live) it could be a round nose solid, no way to gauge caliber just from the picture.....

I can see rifling on the shank and a crimping band of what looks like a round nose bullet. If it did impact something (live) it could be a round nose solid, no way to gauge caliber just from the picture.....
how modern do you think it is?

Really no way to determine that. Has rifling and crimping groove so outside guess 50 years plus or minus. If simply fired into air and you found it where it landed then it could be just a simple heavy round nose hunting bullet. The rifling tells us it was fired from a firearm.

Copper jacketed lead bullets were invented in 1882 in Switzerland according to google LOL With some of the other marks I would tend to agree with Mark.
HH Jeff

Copper jacketed lead bullets were invented in 1882 in Switzerland according to google LOL With some of the other marks I would tend to agree with Mark.
HH Jeff
Much thanks to you and Laplander, i also found a 50 cal. machine gun shell. letters on the butt of it were S L 4 I think that means it came out of the St louis armory in the 40's. Not real sure. It was about 8 inches deep and had not been fired.

I did a little work with the imageusing the quarter for scale, the closest diameter match, assuming the bullet is still circular in cross section, I came up with would be .366 in. That would give a tentative ID as a 9.3 mm projectile. The 9.3x62mm was a medium to large game cartridge that was commercialized in 1905, you can still buy them and loading components for them. Not hugely popular in the North America it was popular in Europe and Africa, there are also a few other less prominent rounds and I'd guess a couple wildcats. If you do an actual measurement of the diameter of it and get .356-.357 or thereabouts then there would be a bunch of possible cartridges, if it comes out more like .375 inches there are a few possibilities (375 H&H, 375 Win, Ruger mag, Remington mag, Weatherby mag and I'm sure some others).
These are just guesses, to get a really good ID the analysis has to be a little more involved, a 'flattened' or distorted 30 cal. projectile can easily look like a .25 from one angle and a .35 from another.
Still always fun to do a little searching. Could you post where abouts you found this ( just the state, province or country) these are usually intended for some pretty stout critters!
Nice find and Happy Hunting.

If one enlarges the picture I believe you can see a lip where the lead tip fits the top of the copper jacket. First reaction is a big ol soft point round nose! Does not appear deformed from any substantial impact but who knows. Some of those big European calibers normally not used much over here but then again I have see some pretty old and odd stuff being packed around. Once came across a guy shooting at ground squirrels with a 375HH, he said he didnt have to hit them to get them!!😂😂

I did a little work with the imageusing the quarter for scale, the closest diameter match, assuming the bullet is still circular in cross section, I came up with would be .366 in. That would give a tentative ID as a 9.3 mm projectile. The 9.3x62mm was a medium to large game cartridge that was commercialized in 1905, you can still buy them and loading components for them. Not hugely popular in the North America it was popular in Europe and Africa, there are also a few other less prominent rounds and I'd guess a couple wildcats. If you do an actual measurement of the diameter of it and get .356-.357 or thereabouts then there would be a bunch of possible cartridges, if it comes out more like .375 inches there are a few possibilities (375 H&H, 375 Win, Ruger mag, Remington mag, Weatherby mag and I'm sure some others).
These are just guesses, to get a really good ID the analysis has to be a little more involved, a 'flattened' or distorted 30 cal. projectile can easily look like a .25 from one angle and a .35 from another.
Still always fun to do a little searching. Could you post where abouts you found this ( just the state, province or country) these are usually intended for some pretty stout critters!
Thank you for all your help. I didn't even know where to start. Merry Christmas to all!

If one enlarges the picture I believe you can see a lip where the lead tip fits the top of the copper jacket. First reaction is a big ol soft point round nose! Does not appear deformed from any substantial impact but who knows. Some of those big European calibers normally not used much over here but then again I have see some pretty old and odd stuff being packed around. Once came across a guy shooting at ground squirrels with a 375HH, he said he didnt have to hit them to get them!!😂😂
Man! a 375H&H now that's overkill - a 338 win mag puts them down just fine.

210 Partition at 2970 does a good job on most anything walking...... lol

I FOUND IT IN AN OLD PARK IN LOUISVILLE KY, IF I REMEMBER RIGHT IT WAS 3 OR 4 IN DEEP.