Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i.d. number for gold

beachguy777

I know this is probably stupid, but I thought that gold was about a #7 on the i.d. scale, but when i id'd my frinds gold ring it was 19. However, he said it had different kinds of gold in it so I'm asuming that that's probably why. Depends on the Karat # or something like that. How about gold chains? do they still read 7 or does it depend on the gold and the size of the chain? Love this website. Where else can you ask these kind of questions, and expect someone to know what in the world you're talking about. Sincerely, Marc Trainor, i.e. beachguy777

Well Marc, we would all love to say that "Gold rings are always going to read 7..." on the Quattro but the fact is that they can (and do) come in anywhere along the scale. Your "7" may be right for a thin-band ladies 14K or 18K diamond ring. But then comes along a nice "Pimp daddy fatty" 10K thick men's ring that can be as high as 30-ish. And then there's everything in between. So SIZE DOES MATTER! :cry: And then there's the gold content. 10K is only 40% gold. 24K is 99.99% pure gold. Big difference in how they read on the Quattro or any detector. See this link: http://www.gottrocks.com/gold_and_precious_metals_information.htm

Also, it should be noted that if you're hunting the beach and you are discriminating out ANYTHING AT ALL, you WILL miss gold rings and jewelry. And when you bring chains into the mix, it takes a pretty special machine, a careful search technique, and sometimes plain dumb luck to find a lot of the chains out there. Because unless it's balled up, the machine will normally only "see" one link or the clasp. And that can mean a signal that will even read in the iron (negative number) range. So if you're not digging it all at the beach you won't get many gold rings. Aluminum and gold are very close in their relative conductivity and there isn't a machine out there that can tell you the difference between a pull tab and a $6000 diamond solitaire. With experience though, and with learning the tones of the machine and common numbers you WILL be able to tell with fair certainty when you have a penny, some tin foil, and a bottle cap. And maybe a pull tab. But unless you're in a trash pit of a beach, be safe and at least dig everything between about 0 and 38. If you have a whole lot of pennies and they're all coming up 34 then pass them up if you like. But forget the "7" thing. Because just about everybody will tell you that nickels are one of the "hot spots" for gold rings and a machine that can get a lot of nickels is on the path to gold. And we know those are 14 or so on the Quattro, which is twice 7. And then there's your own 19. And silver rings will come in between 35 and 38 usually.

One thing I always recommend is taking a blanket to a clean area and then laying out (spread apart) all the jewelry you have, different coins, bottle caps, pull tabs, chains, charms, aluminum trash, foil...everything you expect to encounter. Now sweep them all one at a time and compare. Compare how they SOUND and act. Look at how they read numerically but also note the major difference not only in tone but in "quality" of the sound of a gold ring compared to foil or a scrap of aluminum trash. And note the differences in how they pinpoint. When you learn these things you will be a lot more certain of what's under the coil than with what number it's reading.

My two cents...

Boy oh boy, Mike, thanks a lot for the response on the gold and the nickel vs pulltab thing. You're making a lot of sense. I wish it was a little easier, but, I know what you're saying and it makes sense. I have the Koss headphones I got from Kellyco. I like them but I still can't seem to tell the difference on the nickel thing but I'll keep working on it. Thanks a lot for the gold rap. I live near the beach here in San Diego so that means a lot to me. I also need to learn where the best places to look on the beach are. Not sure yet, as I still have a lot to learn, and I like what you're saying about not just the pitch of the tone but the quality. I'll really try to work on that, and I do notice that our beaches are pretty clean, notnot too much trash generally, so it would make sense to dig it all. Thanks again and maybe talk at you later. I still need to learn how to reply to the reply here on the forum, not sure if I'm doing it right, but hope you get this message. Marc Trainor.

Heck hard to even add to that post( hats off for a nice post) and yep we have all been down the same path when we started..I might mention a lot has to do with what the gold is mixed with and yep foreign gold may even look like copper as God knows what they mix with it and some of their jewelry isn't stamped gold or the Kt..Guesstimate to get all the gold low foil to zinc penny is where it will land on the meter and yep some small gold chains will even hit in iron...On the beach especially dig it all lest you miss a dandy gold ring...

Hello,

Guess this is one of the times that Mikes alias is proven to "fit". Wish he publish all his detector knowledge in a book. I'd buy it! Going back to January when his posts convinced me to purchase the Quattro as my first MD up through today "he speaks, I listen". I have learned a bunch about the Quattro.

I was a little disappointed when he obtained his Explorer. I was scared that he would stop sharing info/experiences on the Quattro! Glad he didn't. (Learned a lot from his Explorer and Excalibur posts as well, but please don't tell him I said that!)

I will say this Mike is a knowlegable fellow that really catches on quickly and is not afraid to share the good and bad of detectors he has used..Some posts I really wonder, but when Mike posts I read and above all know his info is right on..

Basically on a beach dig all as your chances for a gold ring are tenfold and digging is easy...
Fortunately Mike knows what he is talking about and has the ability to relate it in laymans terms...

I love these forums and sharing the knowledge is what makes us all more successful. I remember when I was a green-as-they-come newbie and Dan was my "Sensei", or Obi-Wan Kenobi as I have also been know to call him. I've certainly gotten my share of help and guidance and if I can give a little back I'm all for it. HH!

So many of the same principles apply to the 3 detectors, especially on the beach. You just can't beat a Minelab at the beach. I'm glad you have found some of my experience to be helpful and you're enjoying your Quattro. This is just a such a great hobby. HH!