Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found a family's gold necklace for them, but no reward:(

I had got permission to detect a property built in the 1700's, nice young couple that just bought the place. A few months later he called me and said he lost something valuable while stripping sod to make a flower garden. His wife was out of town for a week on business. I drove over with two detectors, a ML SE and a f-75 knowing a certain area was loaded with coke and hot rocks. Just so happens he lost his platinum wedding band in that area.

Should have started with the SE, but didn't. Searching close to an addition containing metal lath under the stucco, plus the bad ground, the 75 was a bad choice. I switched to the SE and as soon as he went to get a wheel barrow to throw the sod into after scanning it, I located the wide band ring. When he came around the corner, I held the ring in front of him and he practically jumped up and down shouting with joy. He offered me a cold beer and we chatted for a while. I think maybe not having to explain to his wife how or where he lost his wedding band while she was away may have been part of the joy.

The reward had been given before the good deed,, him giving me permission to hunt his property, I certainly enjoyed the cold beer also.

It would have been appropriate for the lady to give you the thanks you wholeheartedly deserved. Some people just don't think right,... maybe she had a touch of heat stroke.

My best find was a $7000 ring on a sandbar a mile's walk up the river, and the reward was a heartfelt hug and thanks from the enitre family.

Good enough for me!

My wife's boss called and ask if I could come over and look for her lost diamond ring. Always ready for something like that, we went over and got her story. She was sun bathing in the back yard on a towel, so I got the location and then she told me she had just cut the grass, and I got a real bad feeling. Nothing to lose so I started hunting and within 10 minutes or so I had her ring and it was undamaged from the grass cutting. I got a nice hug and was on my way with a warm feeling that I had just done something good.

You done something good, keep the warmth and be ready for your next call to action.

Ron in WV

Wow, this turned out to be a MONSTER of a post even by my standards, but just the same I've got some great stories for you guys about karma, a few ring scams, and other such things about karma that don't necessarily all revolve around metal detecting, but do revolve around money or "reward" in several respects. If you can take the time to read this I promise you'll at least find one of the stories interesting, or at least the one about the ring scam down on employees at stores to warm friends and family members about who work around a cash register...

I think if they didn't offer you a reward up front then you can't expect one, although it'd be nice to be offered one after the fact. On the other hand, if they don't give a reward then I expect at least several heart felt "thank you" type of rewards in terms of showing me they appreciate me taking the time and effort to find it. It all depends on that thank you response. If it's cold or without meaning, THEN I'd get p*ssed that they didn't give me some kind of money reward. But if they never offered up front I expect a warm appreciation, even if I don't find it or not for them. That's the way I look at it.

One time a year or so ago I was getting ready to water hunt. A guy came up and said his son lost his class ring. He pointed to the general area in the water and said would you mind trying to find it. I said "no problem", but if I do how about $20 for the effort? He said fine, and gave me his phone number. Well, after working a grid pattern I finally came up with that ring. It was junk metal, so I'm glad I was given a phone number to return it. I called on my cell phone and he came down to the beach and gave me the $20 for it. I had forgotten to ask for a description of the ring, so when I called on the phone I asked him to name the school it was from and all that to make sure it was his. In reality, I would still have gladly gave him that ring for $20 even if it wasn't his son's.

Now, before agreeing to a hunt, ALWAYS ask for details on what the ring looks like. If you don't do that then you are asking for problems, because you could find some other ring and they will claim it, or they could do that dirty trick the other guy in this thread said and just hope you are lucky enough to find any ring that they can lay claim to. ALWAYS ask for a description of it before the hunt. And, if somebody walks up and asks if you found any lost rings because they lost one, NEVER pull a ring out and say "Is this it?" Instead, don't even acknowledge you've found a ring, but rather just ask what it looks like in case you do find it. If they describe one you have in your pouch, then pull it out and have them try it on to see if it fits. Before you put it on their finger, say "If it fits then I know it's yours."

When I find a ring I almost HOPE that there is no name in it to track down. So far so good on that, because I think I would have to track down the person because my conscience would bother me otherwise.

A couple years ago I was in a store and a girl asked the clerk if they had found a gold neckless. The clerk said no. On my way out of the store I was looking at my feet walking through the parking lot and there the neckless was! It was HEAVY gold. I looked around and saw the girl sitting in her car at a gas pump, and went over and said "Can you describe that neckless to me?" It was obviously her's so I handed it to her. She about cried and said it was a gift from I think her father before he died. For that reason, I am thankful that girl hadn't left. Hearing that was reward enough. Now, had she not been sitting in her car, I honestly don't know what I would have done. Would I have asked the clerk if the girl left a phone number? I'm not sure, but I think I would have. Only because the last thing my dad bought me before he died was a black leather coat. One time at the bar I had it hanging on the wall not one foot from my left shoulder as I played pinball. Do you believe that some scum bag had enough b*lls to walk up and take that coat from between me and the wall, right at my left shoulder? I still don't know how I didn't see that person take it as it was right in my side vision area. I don't care about the coat, I care about the one last thing my dad bought for me before he died. That's what hurt.

I've got a good scam, or I should say a good story but terrible scam, that involves a ring that a friend's son had done to him. He worked at a gas station. A person comes in and says they lost a ring, and leaves the clerk with a phone number and says they'll give a $200 reward if somebody finds it that the clerk can split with the person who finds it. Then about 30 minutes later a person comes in and says they found a ring and is there anybody who left a phone number to return it. The clerk says yes, so the person calls the person who lost the ring and says describe it to me. They then get off the phone and the person tells the clerk that the person on the phone says they are on there way there and it should take about 30 minutes. The person who found the ring says they can't wait that long because they have to be at work in 10 minutes, so they tell the clerk to give them the $100 of their half of the reward and that they'll leave the ring with the clerk to claim the other $100 when the person who lost the ring gets there. My friend's son took $100 out of the cash drawer and gave it to the person. Obviously you know where this is going. The person who "lost" the ring never shows up to claim it, and the expensive looking ring turns out to be a $10 piece of junk jewelry! OUCH! If you have any family or friends who work at a cash register anywhere, be sure to warn them of this scam, as scams like this usually spread across the country.

One more thing about the karma thing...Once I was sitting in a bar and a guy came up who acted deaf and handed me one of those deaf cards that says please help a deaf person on it. I handed him a few dollars and he made a thank you sign and left. The person sitting next to me said "you just got scammed probably and that guy probably isn't even deaf." I thought about it for a moment and then said to them "What does that matter in God's eyes? It's still good karma for me because I don't know that." That's the way I look at helping people. Sure, I'm wise to the old "my car just ran out of gas" scam in bad areas where they scam for drug money, even carrying a gas can to show you they are intending to get gas. The best thing to do in that situation is offer to go in the store and give the clerk $2 for them to pump the gas, and tell the clerk if they don't pump the gas then you want your money back.

OK, I'm on a roll and can type fast anyway, so a few more about karma...A friend has a HUGE fat gold ring he found water hunting. Biggest gold ring you ever saw. It's a college football ring for some kind of win in the playoffs but I forget what. Anyway, it has the guy's name and jersey number on it. I asked my friend if he's ever tried to get in contact with the guy and he said no. Now, that's a tricky thing there anyway...Let's say you tell them you'd be willing to turn the ring over for a reward. Next thing you know you could be arrested because the guy tells the police the ring was stolen from his house or something. So, do you ask for a reward if you find something? I wouldn't. I'd just hand it over and hope they give me one in return. The only time I *might* ask for a reward is when somebody has me to hunt for something that is going to take my time away from other things, and only then would I ask up front and not after the fact.

Here's how I look at karma...Several years back I was involved in an accident on a farm caused by a guy driving a gas gator (it's like a golf cart). He was REALLY drunk and two of us were along for the ride (also drunk). We kept telling him to slow down but he wouldn't listen, and down a path with tall grass he ended up ramming into a fallen tree that made us go from about 30mph to a dead stop instantly. Long story short I could have sued for millions, as I had a large piece of wood about as big around as your thumb go all the way through my forearm almost. It stopped when it wedged under the bone. I could have easily bled to death or lost use of my hand if it busted some tendons or something. After surgery all was fine in a few weeks and my medical bills were covered without cost out of my pocket (not by the farm owner). Now, that farm owner's land happens to be one of the biggest blocks of land in my area and is said to be worth about $50 million dollars. I had a sister-in-law's brother, who was a lawyer, keep telling me that "now the guy is worth $49 million. I can sue him for big money and it won't cost you a dime. I'll do it with no cost out of your pocket unless we win." This farmer doesn't just have a lot of land, he's also a very wealthy man. It was his gator, his land, and his paid farm hand that caused the accident. Anyway, I thought long and hard about it, as you never really know what you would do in a situation like that despite how "moral" you think you are. Well, anyway, I pictured myself on some exotic beach somewhere trying to enjoy that money, and realized that my conscience would not allow me to enjoy it. After all, we were all drunk, even if we kept yelling at the driver to slow down.

The above story is KEY to my last one to tell you concerning the karma thing...So, just in the last few years, a uncle of mine passed on who had no kids. He had told us over the years that he wanted his money to go to all five of us (my brothers and sisters and me), and we all always agreed among each other that that was what was going to happen. Well, he passed away and it turned out he only put my oldest sister and brother in charge of the estate and didn't write out the intentions that the money be split among us. Roughly it was well over half a million dollars in total property and money in the bank. You think you know your family, don't you? Don't be so sure. Money can do strange things to people. They both let a lawyer send us registered mail that said they had no intention to split it among us, and that if we didn't sign a waiver we'd be dragged into court to do so. So, needless to say my "sister" and "brother" aren't part of my family anymore as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to even talk to them. My other brother feels the same way. My other sister is too religious and feels she has to be nice to them for those reasons. I say show me in the bible where God says you have to let yourself be used and abused by others. He doesn't say that far as I know.

Bottom line is I always knew they were both more about material things than people, so what they did didn't really surprise me. What did surprise me was that two of us in our family were in great financial need at that moment in time and they just walked away from us. You just "know" in the back of your head how people really are. I knew what those two were about. I've got friends that I trust more than I ever would have trusted them even before this went down.

My point, to your story, is that I didn't sue for the injury over the karma thing, and so I personally know I would have not done to my sisters and brothers what those two did to me. I just couldn't enjoy the money, and so I don't see how they could. So, what I'm telling you is this...If I find a ring and I can track down the owner then I'll give it back, because I don't want to end up like the kind of people my one brother and sister are. They ride around in a Mustang GT, have TWO Harley's, and never NEEDED that money while at least two of us really did just to pay bills. My one sister is stuck in another country married to a man she hates and would have used the money to come home and start a new life for herself. The third sibling had planned to pay for his daughter's college with his share. Me? Let's just say this economy hasn't been very good to me at all. Very bad for me, in fact. My oldest brother and sister knew of this, but instead we got to hear stories through the grave vine about the fancy cars, Harley's, and trips to Vegas that those two scum bags had a great time with. Don't be that person. If they ask you to hunt for something and you find it then a thank you is reward enough. Even if they give you a cold response, you can at least sleep at night a little better and know what comes around goes around, in both good deeds AND bad.

Thanks.

HA! What a VERY odd coincidence! And I didn't follow my own advice about the gas scam thing I just posted a bit ago! Because I was just up at the corner gas station and you'll never guess what happened. I JUST GOT SCAMMED! I got in my truck and was lighting up a smoke and at that very moment was thinking about the gas scam thing when up walks a guy who asks me for a few dollars so he can get home. I look over at his beat up van parked next to a pump, and being that this was a good neighborhood where I've never had this asked in my entire life (my neighborhood), and being that it's even been years since I had this "scam" pulled on me and only then in bad areas where drug use is common, I thought about it for a moment and then said "Sure, let me see what I can dig up." Now, I'm out of work at the moment, and I don't exactly have a bunch of cash to give away, but I dug in my change holder and found him one dollar in quarters and said that's the best I can do. In fact, I'm on empty almost and need to head to the bank tomorrow to get myself some gas money.

Anyway, here's the best part, as if this odd coincidence isn't freaky enough. I even told him that I was just thinking about gas scams from a post on the internet at that very moment, but that I could see he obviously was telling the truth this time. He even had his wife sitting in the beat up old van that looked like it was on it's last legs. He even said "Boy, that's freaky", when I told him I was just thinking about the gas scam thing at that very moment. Anyway, here's where it gets even better. Remember me saying to give the money to the clerk so he could only get a few dollars in gas and not buy drugs with it? Well, the guy walks over, gets in his van, AND DRIVES AWAY WITHOUT PUTTING ANY GAS IN THE THING! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

He even said he was on fumes! So, anyway, I didn't follow my own advice...But I am following my most important bit of advice that I mentioned about the deaf guy possibly scamming me and not being deaf. That being that as far as God's concerned it's still good karma points for me. He's the one who will have to answer for that some day, and I'm the one who might have something good come my way in this bad economy of ours is the way I look at it.

Yes, believe it or not. Seems too much a coincidence, eh? Well, it's the truth, so take it or leave it. I just had to get right back on the computer and tell you guys about it. Still laughing myself about the whole thing...:rofl: Hmmm...Maybe God was testing me to see if I'd put my money where my mouth is? I scraped up a buck even though I couldn't afford it myself, so maybe he does have something good coming my way now. It can't hurt my chances, anyway.