Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found a rusty nail with

gear box

two silver dimes undernieth. One nice 1935 merc and a worn 1908 barber that the nail was laying on. If you look close you can see the rusty line on her chin where the nail layed. I got these at the old fairgrounds that I have been going to. The only thing I was doing differently was I had iron mask on. I usually have it off. I did check the target again with iromask off and I still got a good target response so I'm not sure it would of made much difference on or off, at least in this instance. I did think that with it on the tone was a little more clear but that may a have been just me. I'm gonna keep working with ironmask on though, it sure can't hurt. Just gotta get over all the falsing,some of which sounds pretty good. The first initial signal was pretty bad, but there was enough of difference in two different tones to make me check further and from one side I could get the tone to climb up pretty high and could wiggle a 180 out of it but only for a split second, if I blinked I would of missed it. Mostly it was in the high 170's.
Good luck Gary

Nice finds!

Great job! The Sovereigns have a reputation of pulling stuff out of iron. I always leave iron mask ON as I don't find the machine any more nosier than other machines I've owned. In fact, I never discriminated out iron on my other machines, so if anything the Sovereign is so silent to me it's like sitting in church. :biggrin: Minelab says Iron Mask On will also give the machine a tad more depth, and of course I prefer it ON to improve the ability to pull non-ferrous signals out of ferrous (iron) ones. The only time I would ever even think of turning it OFF is if I were at a site so mineralized or containing so many hot rocks or small bits of iron junk that the machine was just too unstable and noisy, but liking to use my ears to hear everything I've never found a situation where it was so bad I would even consider turning it OFF, and I hunt some pretty bad spots.

Finding silver the hard way good digs :thumbup: Jim

Gary,nice observation and information.Always a great hunt when silver is recovered.Keep up the good work.Thanks for sharing Ron

One more page for the book of MD on the iposible with the Sov, seems to me that now days all the silver is been mask or is close to nails that is is getting hard to get it. one thing thogh is the capasity for the GT to pull that silver too.:wiggle:
thank you for your imput.:thumbup:
HH.

I agree....There is going to be MUCH more silver left out there that is masked in some way then those deeper clean signals that were still pretty easy to find for me about 5 to 7 years ago. Many of my sites limit silver to about 7 to MAYBE 8" deep, so there are some machines other than the Sovereign that can reach those depths in my soil. Not many, though. Mainly just Minelabs and maybe a handful of other machines that can push 7 to MAYBE 8" in my soil, but still not as deep as Minelabs in my soil. Yet, I've got other sites where conditions are right (better soil or high moisture/flooding) where coins can be much deeper and out of reach to everybody but a Sovereign. In those areas I still look for the super deep clean coin signals, but in areas where coins are limited to 7 to maybe 8" deep I think it's a waste of time anymore looking for clean silver signals at those depths at public sites, or at least the ones I've been hitting for years. Now, at one of my more recent sites I've been hitting over the last two years, we are popping wheats and silvers in the 7 to 8" range with no masking, as obviously this site hasn't been hit hard with a Minelab. But still, when I know the site doesn't have much chance of coins deeper than 7 or perhaps 8", and despite hours of searching I'm not finding any clean coin signals at those depths, then it's time to look for the iffy/masked/on edge/junky/ghostly coin hits and dig those, as that's probably the only silver left at a site like that. Most people won't dig those kinds of signals unless they meet a certain level of being what they consider good enough to be "dig worthy". I only recently found that many of the junky coin signals well below my usual criteria for considering being worth taking a chance on often DO turn out to be coins. I only know because I was hunting a empty old house lot that didn't have much trash, so I was willing to dig even the worst of the worst in terms of coin signals that just hardly would give a high tone here and there and might not even give a 180 on the meter no matter from which angle you swept. But, I could hear the high coin tone in the signal. Just hints of it, and so I dug those targets and more often than not they turned out to be coins.