Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found a thin silver ring with the XT 705 ..

cal

that had 750 stamped on it and had a small stone. I am not sure what 750 means, but it rang up like gold in the -2 to 2 in the the sand.The sand here ground balances out at 11 and the ring was fairly deep. In air test it rings laying 4 flat and 2 standing up. I was using a new minelab 10.5 inch DD 7.5 kHz and settings were full gain, all metal,99 tones and ground tracking on after ground balance.

:lol: Great find Cal!
The reason for it ringing in so low is because it isn't silver....it's 18k white gold. :clapping:

Thanks Longhair, I though it might be junk. This is my first white gold find and my first 18k gold ring. I have hunted this court many times and began thinking I'm not getting deep enough. Thus came the xterra705 and the new 10.5 DD I had asked you about. I have many other places to rehunt as well some new ones.
Thanks again for your help! HH

Great find cal. I noticed that you had your machine in "tracking". Once you start pinpointing, or just repeatedly running your coil over such a small & low registering target, it is best to put the machine out of tracking, otherwise the machine will try to balance the target with the ground, and your signal could disappear. Just a friendly tip....you may already know this. HH

Furious T said:
Great find cal. I noticed that you had your machine in "tracking". Once you start pinpointing, or just repeatedly running your coil over such a small & low registering target, it is best to put the machine out of tracking, otherwise the machine will try to balance the target with the ground, and your signal could disappear. Just a friendly tip....you may already know this. HH
Yes thanks for the advice. I sometimes forget to turn it off. I can probably hunt locked down in these spots as the sand is hauled in. Other than these courts most of my ground is moderate. HH

I never take mine out of tracking. Its a matter of seconds to pinpoint your object, I have never had it balance out what I'm searching for.FWIW.

I'm with Bill on this one. I see no point in turning Tracking off. The sampling rate is frequent enough that it can't lose a target that is really there. It's more apt to alert you to a possible target and then change it's assessment than balance to it. Even if you hover over a target, as soon as you move off of it the machine reacts to and compensates for the change, so your next pass over it will see it again.

I have the X Terra 70, so maybe the 705 handles combination of magnetic and conductive soils better than the 70...I am just speaking of my own experiences, but I will also quote from the 70 Manual, p 40.

"In Ground Balance (Beach) the X Terra 70 can Ground Balance any combination of magnetic and conductive soil(e.g. a mixture of sand, soil and salt water). However, ferrous and some low conductivity targets can be balanced out. For this reason in Ground Balance (Beach), Tracking should be used only when targets are far apart."

I take the point that this quote refers to Ground Balance (Beach), but on page 42, in reference to Adjusting Ground Balance, the manual says

"Tracking Ground Balance follows the changes in ground conditions and constantly adjusts the Ground Balance while detecting. As Tracking Ground Balance constantly updates the Ground Balance automatically, repeated passes over a target may result in the detector balancing to the target instead of the ground, diminishing the target signal. It is recommended that Tracking Ground Balance is toggled off when a target is detected".

As I said, I have and still used the 70....if the 705 has ironed out this situation, then I stand corrected on what I said about the 705. If there is little difference between the detectors on this aspect, then I guess there's a chance I could be correct.:)

Uhhhhh.....no.
I never hover over an object long enough to balance to it. The disappearing coin thing was after the hole was opened. It was weird but 100% not a balancing issue. I've had it with my Tesoros also.

Furious T said:
The Mystery of the disappearing coin? Is it possible???

Yes, Bill I agree that coins or other things can "disappear",doesn't matter which detector you use....I believe it has more to do with the target/location than the detector.