Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I found out why my Nokta Legend broke

belaz

I found out why my Nokta Legend broke. When I inserted the headphone adapter, it turned off and did not turn on again. An autopsy showed a short circuit in the stm32f765 controller. I copied part of the circuit and found out that the leg of the headphone jack. It goes through resistor r73 (1k), directly to the 97th leg of the controller. There is no protection against static voltage. You can’t do this, I don’t know why the Nokta engineers acted so badly.
1.jpg

I ran headphone adapters on my legend for the first few months before I started using the Avantree wireless and had no issues. I had a couple of different adapters but they were both from Nokta . Was you adapter from them or another manufacturer?

The adapter is original from the Nokta kit.
According to all the rules, on long lines, to protect the ports, you need to install either 2 diodes or one zener diode.
Nokta hoped that the adapter connected this port to GND. But in order for this to happen reliably, the GND pin in the connector had to be made longer. So that it is guaranteed to connect first.
This is roughly what the protection should be like (which is not available in Nokta):
io-protection-with-steering-diodes-to-rail.png
io-protection-with-tvs-diode.png

Totally Greek to me , all I know is I plugged in the adapters on numerous occasions for several months and never has an issue. I'm sure Nokta would appreciate a conversation with a technical person that understands the nuances of electrical engineering. I'm much more competent at building stairways and fireplace mantles

Why did you open it up and void the warranty? Did you notify Nokta before you disassembled the detector and posted on this forum? You did wear a static bracelet when you touched the board, right? Static electricity from a person's hand can destroy electronics without this protection.

I have been friends with a soldering iron for 30 years. I have been working in the field of electronics repair/development for 24 years. I couldn't resist disassembling this device after it broke.
I'm an EE and between work and projecting over my 20 year career I have never seen or caused an ESD damaged part, and I rarely bother with "proper" grounding. Can ESD damaged surface mount electronics? Sure. Will it? Almost certainly not.