Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I got bamboozled by a politician

robertj29 I really don't see how deer hunting is different than treasure hunting. I believe it is implied that when you ask permission to hunt said:
You have an interesting point. Most people would think that if you shot the deer on their property...that you would keep the deer........MOST is the key word......whether its hunting deer, mushrooms or treasure...why not just get the point settled before the "hunt" takes place.? Agreed?

JamesBondaka said:
robertj29 I really don't see how deer hunting is different than treasure hunting. I believe it is implied that when you ask permission to hunt said:
You have an interesting point. Most people would think that if you shot the deer on their property...that you would keep the deer........MOST is the key word......whether its hunting deer, mushrooms or treasure...why not just get the point settled before the "hunt" takes place.? Agreed?

Agreed...I will know better next time lol

Im glad you agree and its a prudent way of thinking.

Good luck to you!

I detected a gentlemens yard and found a silver ring...just a small one...I offered it back to him thinking it may had been a ring his daughter or wife lost that had some centimental value. He took it and then offered me to hunt all his properties because of this gesture...it does come around...just saying

I would certainly offer a share of finds from a private property. I recently got into metal detecting because I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and recovering lost history, not because I want to acquire wealth. I read some of these posts about the landowners being "greedy", but refusing to share seems just as if not more greedy. I bet some of you who don't think you should share when asked might sing a different tune if your neighbor asked to look for a toy under a rock and found a pot of gold.

If someone found a pot of gold in my yard my first thought would be that I'm not a very good metal detectorist. lol

I would certainly offer a share of finds from a private property. I recently got into metal detecting because I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and recovering lost history, not because I want to acquire wealth. I read some of these posts about the landowners being "greedy", but refusing to share seems just as if not more greedy. I bet some of you who don't think you should share when asked might sing a different tune if your neighbor asked to look for a toy under a rock and found a pot of gold.

Obviously you have not had a landowner grab something out of your hand and not give it back. In the real world not everybody sits around in a circle and sings Kumbayah. It's all about respect. A person who would do that is, in my opinion, disrespecting you. And whoever thinks you are going to get rich in this hobby, has probably not swung a coil for very long, and isnt qualified to make such a statement in the first place.

I share finds with the landownders of my properties, but if one of them grabbed something out of my hand and walked away...I will not return there. For me to just walk up and lay all my finds on the tailgate of my truck and say there ya go.....isn't going to happen...and as has been mentioned before earlier...most of the time they dont even come around.

This topic can be what if'd to death, and see who can be the "nicer" person...but then there is the reality of it all. Happy Hunting all!

LittleJohn

I think from a purely legal perspective if a landowner gives you permission to metal detect, hunt deer, look for arrowheads/fossils, or pick blackberries on his property once he gives permission without stipulations he has waived his rights to anything you find/kill/pick. Any MDing lawyers out that want to weigh in on this? Of course legal rights may vary depending on where you live.

Like LittleJohn and others I too have shared my finds with the landowner. I had a case years ago where a lady gave us permission to detect on her farm. We found one Indian head penny, and nothing else. We made the mistake of showing it to her. She would never allow us to come back because she was afraid we would find all the buried jars of gold and silver on her land (which probably didn't exist to begin with).

Obviously you have not had a landowner grab something out of your hand and not give it back. In the real world not everybody sits around in a circle and sings Kumbayah. It's all about respect. A person who would do that is, in my opinion, disrespecting you. And whoever thinks you are going to get rich in this hobby, has probably not swung a coil for very long, and isnt qualified to make such a statement in the first place.

I share finds with the landownders of my properties, but if one of them grabbed something out of my hand and walked away...I will not return there. For me to just walk up and lay all my finds on the tailgate of my truck and say there ya go.....isn't going to happen...and as has been mentioned before earlier...most of the time they dont even come around.

This topic can be what if'd to death, and see who can be the "nicer" person...but then there is the reality of it all. Happy Hunting all!

LittleJohn[/quote]

:thumbup:

i asked a local man who was renovating an 1813 house if i could possibly hunt his yard..... he thought about it and said ya i suppose as it will be converted into a parking lot in 2 weeks... we agreed on a 50-50 split -which i was fine with ... after a few short hours ,1 or 2 wheatys an indian head etc i dug up the largest 14k mans ring i have ever dug and it just happened to be the first one i ever dug up as well...... i had thought about just leaving and not saying anything but i just couldnt ... i walked over to him and reminded him of our 50-50 agreement and asked if he or anyone had ever lost jewelry inthe yard ..he said no,what did you find.... i showed it to him ..he held it for what felt like eternty... he called his wife over to look at it....i went back to hunting while the y talked..... later he said his wife would take it to the jewelry store and cash it in...they did and gave me an extra $5 for my honesty along with the reciept and also said i could come back anytime to hunt even when they werent around..... they also refered me to a friend of thiers who owns an old house but that yard was way too trashy...... ive also done a 50-50 split with a fellow worker at his house....i ended up a little on the short end of the stick on the 1st hunt but pulled even on the 2nd hunt not to mention all the times the man has helped me at work when i needed help far out ways the value of a few trinckets..... i guess its all about gratitude.... happy hunting....

bskerj said:
I detected a gentlemens yard and found a silver ring...just a small one...I offered it back to him thinking it may had been a ring his daughter or wife lost that had some centimental value. He took it and then offered me to hunt all his properties because of this gesture...it does come around...just saying

Good for you! and nice post too

Agseeker said:
I think from a purely legal perspective if a landowner gives you permission to metal detect, hunt deer, look for arrowheads/fossils, or pick blackberries on his property once he gives permission without stipulations he has waived his rights to anything you find/kill/pick. Any MDing lawyers out that want to weigh in on this? Of course legal rights may vary depending on where you live.

Like LittleJohn and others I too have shared my finds with the landowner. I had a case years ago where a lady gave us permission to detect on her farm. We found one Indian head penny, and nothing else. We made the mistake of showing it to her. She would never allow us to come back because she was afraid we would find all the buried jars of gold and silver on her land (which probably didn't exist to begin with).

Threes some funny stuff written in some previous posts.....funny!

Now, about the legality ....say a landowner gives you permission to hunt his/her property. Yes, he/her has give you the right to hunt.....but.....thats technically only the right to hunt....not necessarily keep. Whatever, might be implied or done in the past is not necessarily what would be prudent or acceptable on this given date or time of the said hunt . It could be argued that this or that is whats normally done but why take the chance of any disagreement? That's why is sooooooo important to get that all "squared" away with the owner first. It just solves any misunderstanding or "I thought" situations. Everyone is happy and you don't waste your time.

This is getting really deep.

LittleJohn said:
they woulda stayed in the bottom of the pouch...people nowadays are like that....had a guy arguing with me over the same topic today at work and said it should be at least a 50-50 split....I say BS...they come out and do the detecting and digging and then they can keep it....he told me he wouldn't let me hunt his property unless I split at least 50-50 with him...I just laughed and told him to get over himself...I think it's ignorant. JMO
LittleJohn

Exactly! We don't make any money at this! $1-2 an hour at best, why should they get half? 20% or whatever the mining contracts typically pay the owner is more realistic, but we are finding $1-5 worth of stuff at a house. Who cares? Legally if you find a rare date coin worth thousands, they could sue you for all or half of its value depending on the state.

Agseeker

Threes some funny stuff written in some previous posts.....funny!

Now, about the legality ....say a landowner gives you permission to hunt his/her property. Yes, he/her has give you the right to hunt.....but.....thats technically only the right to hunt....not necessarily keep. Whatever, might be implied or done in the past is not necessarily what would be prudent or acceptable on this given date or time of the said hunt . It could be argued that this or that is whats normally done but why take the chance of any disagreement? That's why is sooooooo important to get that all "squared" away with the owner first. It just solves any misunderstanding or "I thought" situations. Everyone is happy and you don't waste your

And what if....and what if...and what if....:rolleyes:

LittleJohn said:
And what if....and what if...and what if....:rolleyes:

And the point your trying to make is?

Typical of politicians. I have come to the conclusion that ALL politicians are Egotistical Rectal Orifices who only think of themselves and how to get re-elected.