Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have a question for all deer hunters.

cyberdan (SoCA)

It has been quite a while since I have made a formal post. Keeping busy at work and my own side business. I have not picked up my XLT since before Christmas when I was at the beach and had a few hours to spare. Yes, I can beach hunt in December.

Now to get down to business on this post. You old timers might remember, my wife is Japanese. We both just got back from Japan two weeks ago. She had been there for a few months taking care of her 86 year old father. (other than his eyesight and hearing going bad he is in pretty good health) While there she and I did some "tourist" traveling and then I spent 4-5 days visiting family I had not seen in 15 years. (this was my first real vacation in 15 years)

One day we went to visit her first cousin and he and I had a long conversation, with my wife doing the interpreting. He is retired now. He was a politian but don't hold that against him. I later found out his last office was the equivalent of a state's Lt. Governor. There was a pet project he was working on that he was never able to solve and after retiring from office he is continuing to try and solve the problem.

In his Prefecture (State) they have an overabundance of deer, just like we have hogs in Texas. In the mountain areas they are eating the bark on the trees, which causes lots of problems. I told him I would approach you guys with the problem. We already talked about a solution, which I will talk about later. I want some fresh ideas, some might be completely different than mine.

Here is what I know.
He does not know a population count.
These are not white tail or other large deer, they are smaller Sitka or red tail.
They do not want to do just a random trapping because there is a protected bear species they do not want to endanger.
They do not want wasteful killing, they want to use the deer for something.
His prefecture, just like most states here, could use a boost in the economy and this might be a way.
Japanese people do not usually eat deer meat.
Very few, if any, hunters around.
The area is pretty mountainous and not a lot of roads.
I do not know if there is a deer hunting season.

Here is what I would like to know.
What are the various uses for deer?
Is there a bad time of year to kill deer?
What would be a good, light weight rifle with scope?
Is there an open market for imported deer products in the U.S?
Are deer smart like hogs or dumb like cows?
I would like to come up with a plan that will benefit us and his prefecture.

I am sure I will have more questions, but need some input started from you guys.

there was a certain food they and only they eat, would it be possible to somehow bait that food with some chemical that would make them sterile?? Eventually that would lower the deer count. Just a thought.

This is the perfect opportunity to spur a revival in traditional Japanese archery. I am sure there are many clubs in the cities that have members that would be keenly interested in shooting at something other than a bale. Furthurmore, I am sure there are international hunters that would relish the opportunity to hunt there.