Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Have A Question

Sorry...I can't answer your question...but, have the same situation and curiosity. Hope someone jumps in with an answer. HH

Just a guess...people don't lose or drop much while walking or strolling?? Need more vigorous activity maybe??

Do any of you go on walking paths and metal detect. I live in macedonia ohio & my
walking path is made of asphalt and on both sides have grass and wooded areas..
Detect both sides of any asphalt path.
Detect Everything in dirt.
And absolutely detecting the ends of the path.
Especially where people are taking keys out of their pockets. Gravel parking lots are pretty Sweet.
Good Luck !!

I assume the path is controlled by a city or county recreational district, call and find out if detecting is allowed. At least you will know and besides, one jurisdictional answer here from another state or location doesn’t mean its ok where you are.

I assume the path is controlled by a city or county recreational district, call and find out if detecting is allowed. At least you will know and besides, one jurisdictional answer here from another state or location doesn’t mean its ok where you are.
There's probably a sign at the trailhead with rules and regulations. Assuming it's public property, if there is nothing posted that metal detecting is prohibited then go for it. Calling in an attempt to get permission from some random bureaucrat is likely to get you a no where otherwise nobody would have cared.

If there are no detecting restrictions in your city, I would simply assume the edges of trails/walking paths can be detected. I once hit a 3 Walker half spill on edge of a tar walking trail, so plenty of good things do get lost along them. HH Jim Tn

Let me ask you metal detector guys this. What coil would you use when walking along the trails. Perhaps
the garrett 5" x 8"in. or maybe the nel sharpshooter coil.

I have the at pro & at max what other medium or bigger nel seach coil do you recomend
when hunting in fields or parks that have little or no trash.

Many walking trails especially the older ones,have trees and bushes close to the trail itself. If that is the case,one of the smaller or mid size coils for your brand of detector would be better than a stock or larger size coil. The oldest park in my area dates to the 1870's and has a well worn trail that loops around the middle of the wooded area of the park. When I hunted this trail in the 1980's it had Indian Heads,Wheats and Barbers scattered 2-3 feet to each side among the brush and twigs. I thought it was interesting that of the several dozen coins that were found, only 1 coin was found in the dirt of the trail itself. All the others were 2-3 feet on each side of this 100 year old trail. They were all shallow enough that an 8 inch coil found them.

Last edited:
I found the most at the end leading in/out of parking areas. I usually don't hunt them because there's not much good to find. The flip side is there's less or no one detecting it. I remember hunting a field by a park because someone just hit the park. I was thinking there's no reason, few people are out here and the few targets proved it but then I found a silver half! That winning 'scratch off' that keeps us going.

Don't necessarily need a large coil but something that can navigate the trash. Targets may not be all that deep because the ground is usually packed along trails.
Found this just on an edge of a hiking/biking trail that gets daily traffic and has had it's share of detectorists hitting the area pretty hard since detectors came out.
Danish Indies 25 skilling 1763. Lots of tiny iron bits in the area so I used my Tesoro Tejon with 8x9 concentric.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 223339.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 223339.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
I use the 5x8” walking the trails. Perfect for getting under brush. I have had similar experience of finding coins on the sides and in the brush. On the path? Not so much.

5x8 is a really good coil. They have a 6x9 concentric that I had never used. I had a 9x12 concentric but it had marginal depth gain, was noticeably heavier than the stock coil and didn't unmask like the Tesoro concentrics. The 6x9 concentric might be better in iron than the larger one.
Ground tends to be pretty packed and hard to dig on trails. That does help keep the coins fairly shallow.